Side fan direction for GFX with aftermarket cooler

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Should we make the PC case's side fan be exhaust or intake one for graphic card with aftermarket cooler(something like the one shown in picture)?

200908281217489.jpg

i say intake, if you make it exhaust then the air thats been taken in by the fans at the front of the case will be taken straight out the side, which may be good for your graphics card but not good for your CPU.

I don't think its too much of a concern, if your graphics card has an aftermarket cooler then it'll run cool regardless of whether the side fan is intake or exhaust.

Anyway thats just my thoughts. Nice card btw

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I meaned the cases with 1x 200mm top, 1x 200mm side, 1x 120mm rear and 1x 200mm front with front panel being complete mesh, such as the Antec 1200 or HAF 922.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Since the CFM of intake is much greater than that of the exhaust, there will be passive intake air flow at the top of the front mesh panel where no fan is located. Will the passive intake air flow be sufficient for other components? What do you think?

I have a HAF932 and the side fan keeps my GPU nice and cool. The other components stay cool aswell. I cant tell you whether or not its best to have the side fan intake or exhaust because i've never had the side fan exhaust.

If you had a card with a stock cooler which sucks in air, then have the side fan intake, so that the card has cool air. but if you had an aftermarket cooler on your card which blows the hot air into your case have the side fan exhaust so it can exhaust all the hot air produced by your card.

If I were you i'd decide on a case and test the side fan as exhaust and intake to see what works best.