Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k 4.3ghz Overclock Heat

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2011 1:07:11 PM

I've overclocked my i5 to 4.3ghz simply by changing the Multiplier (no voltage change) and it seems to be fine, but whilst running Prime95 I got a max temp of 64c and whilst rendering a video at 100% CPU load I'm getting between 55 and 60 degrees celcius. Will this be harmful in the long run?
December 26, 2011 1:26:44 PM

Looks decent, what CPU Cooler do you have?
December 26, 2011 1:28:20 PM

please, post your system specs.
Related resources
December 26, 2011 1:31:09 PM

i5-2500k
8gb DDR3 RAM
Asetek 510LC Water Cooling
Gigabyte Z68P-DS3
Radeon 6850 1GB GDDR5
December 26, 2011 1:59:13 PM

pavilliox said:
i5-2500k
8gb DDR3 RAM
Asetek 510LC Water Cooling
Gigabyte Z68P-DS3
Radeon 6850 1GB GDDR5

I5 are rated to 90c + dont remember the exact value but could look it up..

Mine's been running at 75 which alot of people would consider too high... but never had any issues yet... and well inside the Intel specs..

And before people add that the life might be reduced, the cpu will have long gone been past its usefullnesss
December 28, 2011 5:35:44 PM

Temps are fine. No worries to be had.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:03:36 PM

72.6C is the max temperature for that CPU. Not 90C+.... That is when it shuts down. TJ max is 98C. http://ark.intel.com/products/52210?wapkw=Core%20i5%202... Check where it says TCase. Running low 60s is great and will do no damage to the CPU in the long run. 50s, you have room for a higher OC. 70s is where I would call it quits. 70C is getting close to hurting the CPU, and I would back off then. Your temps are great, and you could even go further. I run mine at 4.4Ghz with an H60 water cooler with a max temp of 66C I believe.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:05:52 PM

lafontma said:
I5 are rated to 90c + dont remember the exact value but could look it up..

Mine's been running at 75 which alot of people would consider too high... but never had any issues yet... and well inside the Intel specs..

And before people add that the life might be reduced, the cpu will have long gone been past its usefullnesss

Um, no. Have you considered how long Core 2s have been used? And they still have another year or two to go. SB will be used with overclocks for years to come before it is a useless chip. Intel chips, unlike AMD, stand there ground for a long time, due to the overclock you give them. As long as temps are good, you can generally get over 1Ghz more out of them, making them last 3+ years.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:20:04 PM

What's the point of overclocking your cpu at all with a single 6850?
a c 150 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:20:23 PM

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K...(6M-Cache-3_30-GHz) Intel rates the tcase at 72.6C, running hotter will degrade it faster. It's not just about lifespan, I still have 10+ year old pcs still running, but performance decreases. Thermal degradation is commonly seen in laptops as they commonly go over safe temps. But it's not apparent for a couple of years.

I think you confused tjmax for tcase. Tjmax is 98C which is the shutoff temp. Around 90C it will start to throttle itself to prevent damage. Going above tcase is fine for prime as it stresses it more than a real world app. I'd say up to 80C in prime is fine but you don't want to stay above 73C for too long in normal use.

Auto volt tends to overvolt, if you manually set it, you can decrease power and heat.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:28:08 PM

k1114 said:
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K...(6M-Cache-3_30-GHz) Intel rates the tcase at 72.6C, running hotter will degrade it faster. It's not just about lifespan, I still have 10+ year old pcs still running, but performance decreases. Thermal degradation is commonly seen in laptops as they commonly go over safe temps. But it's not apparent for a couple of years.

I think you confused tjmax for tcase. Tjmax is 98C which is the shutoff temp. Around 90C it will start to throttle itself to prevent damage. Going above tcase is fine for prime as it stresses it more than a real world app. I'd say up to 80C in prime is fine but you don't want to stay above 73C for too long in normal use.

Auto volt tends to overvolt, if you manually set it, you can decrease power and heat.

Yes, TJmax is 98C, and will shut off. Tcase is the maximum safe temp. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.
a c 150 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 7:20:53 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yes, TJmax is 98C, and will shut off. Tcase is the maximum safe temp. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.

Actually this wasn't even towards you, you posted before I even got finished typing mine and I never even read yours til after.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 7:38:34 PM

By the way, I know setting voltages can help, but I set mine to a fixed 1.32v, and it wasn't stable. (blue screen) When I set voltages to auto, it ended up being stable with a maximum voltage of 1.31v and ran for 6.5 hours. In my case, I found auto to be better. It may be a rare occasion thing, but worth a shot.
December 28, 2011 9:10:01 PM

Quote:
In my case, I found auto to be better.

Auto voltage is fine too....im finding the new mobos are better equipped at auto voltages than the older 2-3 year old counter parts.... back when i had an ASUS M3A mobo...having the Vcore set to Auto with a minimal OC would bluescreen.

But reading thru guides..the auto sometimes will over compensate.... but then again..i set my 4.3 Ghz OC on a 1.16V and even when the PC is idle...the core clock (Intel SpeedStep) downclocks..but the volatage remains the same (as its manual) ..so not sure if i really need it...
SOmetimes on idle..the CPU core speed goes down to 1.6Ghz..why would i need 1.16V for that?
In auto mode..the Vcore will drop down to 0.92

what r your thoughts?
December 28, 2011 9:10:22 PM

Quote:

Auto voltage is fine too....im finding the new mobos are better equipped at auto voltages than the older 2-3 year old counter parts.... back when i had an ASUS M3A mobo...having the Vcore set to Auto with a minimal OC would bluescreen.

But reading thru guides..the auto sometimes will over compensate.... but then again..i set my 4.3 Ghz OC on a 1.16V and even when the PC is idle...the core clock (Intel SpeedStep) downclocks..but the volatage remains the same (as its manual) ..so not sure if i really need it...
SOmetimes on idle..the CPU core speed goes down to 1.6Ghz..why would i need 1.16V for that?

what r your thoughts?
a c 150 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 9:50:34 PM

You need to use offset so the voltage can go down in idle and go up under load. I would suggest an undervolt -.05. Then you can adjust additional turbo voltage or llc to just change load voltage.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 9:58:30 PM

fr0stman said:
Quote:

what r your thoughts?

Offset and auto are both fine. I like auto, as it did not overvolt my CPU, and it runs down below 1v in idle mode. A fixed voltage is not good. It will give your CPU a lot of volts that it does not need. Try either Offset, or Auto. See which will give you the best one or whichever you feel more comfortable with.
December 28, 2011 10:36:55 PM

HostileDonut said:
Offset and auto are both fine. I like auto, as it did not overvolt my CPU, .

yep thats what i thought.... i mean it ran perfect @ 4.2Ghz on 1.1632
but when i exited prime..it downclocked to idle 1.6Ghz but with the same voltage..ill try auto...
December 29, 2011 2:28:40 AM

I have also found that Offset mode is the best. I was running my 2500K @4.6GHz with an offset of (+).050. Idle voltages ranged from ~0.88v to 1.016v. Voltages under full load (running Prime95) range from 1.304-1.320v. Max Temp is 68 at 4.6GHz running Prime95. I found that when I left the voltage to auto, it was ramping up the voltage to ~1.38v for the same overclock. By setting the offset, you can really reduce the voltage, and the max temperatures, while still allowing the voltage to drop back under idle.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 2:43:40 AM

fr0stman said:
yep thats what i thought.... i mean it ran perfect @ 4.2Ghz on 1.1632
but when i exited prime..it downclocked to idle 1.6Ghz but with the same voltage..ill try auto...

Wow, that is really low for 4.2Ghz. I would just keep it. You won't get better on auto. If you are running that low, you could easily go higher as long as temps are good.
December 30, 2011 12:40:45 PM

HostileDonut said:
72.6C is the max temperature for that CPU. Not 90C+.... That is when it shuts down. TJ max is 98C. http://ark.intel.com/products/52210?wapkw=Core%20i5%202... Check where it says TCase. Running low 60s is great and will do no damage to the CPU in the long run. 50s, you have room for a higher OC. 70s is where I would call it quits. 70C is getting close to hurting the CPU, and I would back off then. Your temps are great, and you could even go further. I run mine at 4.4Ghz with an H60 water cooler with a max temp of 66C I believe.

I was supposing that he was talking about tj temps... its' the only reliable way to get temperatures. IE coretemp, etc..

So i guess the question is what does the temperature th OP refer to? tcase or tj
a c 150 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2011 5:20:41 PM

I believe you are just referring to how these are just sensors in different places on the cpu. But it really just comes down to 73C is the safe temp for normal usage without damaging the cpu. You always pay attention to core temps, not package, when monitoring temps.
!