Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External Enclosure beeping

Last response: in Storage
July 28, 2011 7:57:28 PM

I have a USB powered, 2.5" external enclosure. I plug it in to my desktop PC and the hard drive in it beeps. I plug it into my laptop and it is recognized without any problems and no beeping. I have tried it on the mobo usb ports and on a USB pci card and it still doesn't get recognized and beeps no matter where it is plugged in. Both my laptop and desktop are running Windows 7 home premium x64. I'm not sure if it just isn't getting enough power from the USB port or what the problem is. I have looked all over the interwebs and cannot find a similar situation that has been answered. I've switched cords, i've checked all USB ports and nothing. Anyone interested in helping a fella out?

Best solution

a c 371 G Storage
July 28, 2011 8:00:57 PM

It sounds like a power problem to me, but does the enclosure manual say anything regarding this? I don't know of any hard drives that beep. It must be the enclosure beeping.
July 28, 2011 8:22:26 PM

thanks for the reply. i don't have it on me right now, but will check when i get home this evening. i can feel that the hdd itself spins, but windows doesn't recognize it. i am starting to think it's the enclosure. it doesn't make any sense to me that it would run, or have enough power, hooked to my laptop, but not enough when hooked to my desktop. anyhow, i will let you know what i find out.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2011 3:06:03 PM

i got this figured out. i uninstalled all USB devices in the device manager. I downloaded drivers for my specific intel-based USB ports and installed those and now my external hdd works. So simply an uninstall and re-install without letting windows install their recommended drivers.
m
l
August 8, 2011 3:07:23 PM

Best answer selected by normnailz.
m
l
!