Sign in with
Your question

Is this SSD to fast for my Motherboard?

Last response: in Storage
July 28, 2011 10:44:56 PM

I've been back and forth about this question, so I figured I would ask the community at tomshardware about it: I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro, and I have read cases where a person's motherboard can be too slow to support the real potential of the ssd they are buying becouse of the Sata controller. So lets say that I'm going to buy the Patriot Wildfire, will my board's sata controller be able to make the best out of it?

Edit: this came from the Asus website maybe it will help some to understand the board
Intel® P67 Express Chipset
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
(blue)
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
1 xExternal SATA 6.0 Gb/s port
1 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s port (navy blue)

More about : ssd fast motherboard

a b V Motherboard
a c 258 G Storage
July 28, 2011 10:57:18 PM

I just checked the Intel CPU motherboard database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/motherboards/intel-motherboa...

Your motherbopard has several SATA III 6Gb/s ports. The two gray ports use the Intel Controller integrated in the Intel P67 chipset. The red and Navy blue ports use a Marvell controller. Connect your Patriot Wildfire to one of the gray Intel Controller ports and you will be fine.

Consult your motherboard manual to verify the gray ports use the Intel Controller. Sometimes manufacturers change things.
July 28, 2011 10:58:09 PM

Okay, thank you, it seemed a bit weird having two controllers on one board
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 258 G Storage
July 28, 2011 11:05:40 PM

The reason for two controllers is the Intel P67 chipset can only handle two SATA III 6Gb/s ssd's. If more ports are added, then a separate controller must be added.

July 28, 2011 11:10:24 PM

ok, so that extra port from marvell is just so someone can raid 3 ssds together, ok that makes since.
a b V Motherboard
a c 258 G Storage
July 28, 2011 11:19:56 PM

According to the Asus specifications and product page the Intel Controller supports Raid 0, 1, 5, 10. The Marvell Controller does not support Raid.

You can use those extra ports to connect other devices like hard disk drives, optical drives, and an external device.
a c 234 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
July 28, 2011 11:34:47 PM

@JohnnyLucky .... Typically, you can't connect optical drives to the Marvell controllers. They only support disk drives.
a b V Motherboard
a c 258 G Storage
July 28, 2011 11:54:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.
!