Is this SSD to fast for my Motherboard?

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I've been back and forth about this question, so I figured I would ask the community at tomshardware about it: I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro, and I have read cases where a person's motherboard can be too slow to support the real potential of the ssd they are buying becouse of the Sata controller. So lets say that I'm going to buy the Patriot Wildfire, will my board's sata controller be able to make the best out of it?

Edit: this came from the Asus website maybe it will help some to understand the board
Intel® P67 Express Chipset
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
(blue)
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
1 xExternal SATA 6.0 Gb/s port
1 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s port (navy blue)

I just checked the Intel CPU motherboard database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/motherboards/intel-motherboard-database.html

Your motherbopard has several SATA III 6Gb/s ports. The two gray ports use the Intel Controller integrated in the Intel P67 chipset. The red and Navy blue ports use a Marvell controller. Connect your Patriot Wildfire to one of the gray Intel Controller ports and you will be fine.

Consult your motherboard manual to verify the gray ports use the Intel Controller. Sometimes manufacturers change things.

According to the Asus specifications and product page the Intel Controller supports Raid 0, 1, 5, 10. The Marvell Controller does not support Raid.

You can use those extra ports to connect other devices like hard disk drives, optical drives, and an external device.