New P55 won't power up properly

robnfl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
My new build will not power up and the CPU, Video and case fans run constantly.

I finally got all my parts in from Newegg and assembled everything in the case.

ECS P55A
Intel i5
OCZ modstream pro 600w
MSI 4850
Patriot Viper II DDR3 1333
Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R
AZZA Salono 1000 case

I connected all power connectors, ATX 24 pin, ATX 12V power, ATX4P, SATA devices, PCI-E and front panel header. When I turn on the P/S master power switch all fans start turning. The front panel on/off switch has no effect. The computer will not power up any further than this state, with the fans are constantly running.

The m/b has a power button which is lit but has no effect.

I pulled the MB out of the case and breadboarded it to make sure there are no shorts with the same results.

I have tried disonnecting all the peripherals with the same result.

I've read the sticky "READ before posting about boot problems", so I've checked those suggestions.

Is my P/S or m/b afu causing the fans to run constantly?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

robnfl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Well, I reseated the main 24 pin connector and now the board starts to power up briefly then cycles on and off.

It does this with everything disonnected except the cpu, cpu fan and 24 pin ATX power.

I'm thinking something is shorted causing the PS to cycle.

Is it the mb, cpu, or PS.

Anybody have any ideas how I can narrow it down to one of the three?

Rob

I know you said you read the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky, but just about everyone asking for system help says that. Did you actually perform EVERY step in the checklist? That's how to narrow down the list of possible problems. The checklist contains troubleshooting tips from multiple forum members and is updated regularly. Faulty RAM or incorrect RAM settings will cause problems like you're describing.

robnfl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
shortstuff_mt - shamelessly, no I didn't read the whole thread, just the first page. But when I got to this point...

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU."

...and I still had no beeps, only a cycling P/S. I figured it was either the P/S, mb or CPU. I pulled the CPU with no change, only cycling power. I should still get system power with the cpu out right? I tried the new P/S in an old machine and it fired up, and tried the old P/S with the new mb and same cycling.

So, unless I'm missing something here it looks like the mb is doa.

Oh, and yeah, I did see the 8 pin ATX.

Rob

robnfl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Looks like it was a faulty ECS mb. I returned the defective mb and bought an ASUS P7P55D Pro as a replacement. The ASUS booted on first try with no issues...except the mb clocked the Patriot DDR3-1333 at 1067...but i haven't had the time to look into it.

Rob