Is AMDZone full of Reality Deniers?

Total: 99 votes (17 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 76 %
  • No
  • 25 %
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:47:17 AM

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1370...

With quotes like:
Quote:
In any rate, I think we can all agree that Phenom II 965BE at $188 is a MUCH BETTER DEAL than any Core i5 or i7. You pay less to get better quality processors with AMD. If AMD set the price points like this, I trust them that they know what they are doing, and they will be responsible of their stock prices (which, apparently, is not going to $1 as you suggested).

Quote:
scientia, your tests are really valuable because it demonstrates one important thing:
- Intel CPU OC is not just limited by thermal, but also by the intrinsic overclockability.
A corollary to that is
- there is no way for a Core i5/i7 to get undocumented high frequency with any good cooling.

kaa, IIRC, you were suggesting this with your Intellish propaganda?

But I have to say that even from 2.66GHz to 3GHz is very good overclocking.
from users such as Abinstein...

I would be inclined to say yes.

Have fun reading some of/if not the more idiotic statements found on the web.

More links:
http://scientiasblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/intel-i5-750-...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035049030&po...
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:49:01 AM

From 2.66 to 3 is very good? Maybe on a Phenom I...
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:49:09 AM

My 4.4GHz Core i7 apparently does not exist.

And all you guys running Core i5 750s at near or over 4GHz... you don't exist. You're all part of a world wide conspiracy against AMD. Because according to Abinstein... "there is no way for a Core i5/i7 to get undocumented high frequency with any good cooling".
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:51:09 AM

My 4.2GHz C0 i7 (on air too) is apparently not a reality either.

I'm certainly enjoying it for something that doesn't exist...
December 14, 2009 5:52:58 AM

How do I OC my i7 920 to 4GHz? Enter BIOS, disable Turbo, Speedstep. Set CPU volt and Uncore volt to 1.25V. Set memory to 1.65V. Change BCLK from 133MHz to 200MHz. Done.

God that was bloody hard.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:57:37 AM

LMAO!
December 14, 2009 6:09:49 AM

The reality of a decision to buy AMD is that one didn't spend >$250 more for a benchmark standing or the same price for dead end platform.

Enjoy.
December 14, 2009 6:10:16 AM

The reality of a decision to buy AMD is that one didn't spend >$250 more for a benchmark standing or the same price for dead end platform.

Enjoy.
December 14, 2009 6:11:33 AM

Of course, (most but not all) of those guys/gals are pretty far gone, almost to the point of being militantly anti-intel.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:11:41 AM

Mandrake_ said:
How do I OC my i7 920 to 4GHz? Enter BIOS, disable Turbo, Speedstep. Set CPU volt and Uncore volt to 1.25V. Set memory to 1.65V. Change BCLK from 133MHz to 200MHz. Done.

God that was bloody hard.

Damn, so that's why I couldn't do it. I just set BCLK :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:14:43 AM

BohleyK said:

Enjoy.

$250 more? How do you figure?
December 14, 2009 6:19:50 AM

Well if you decide on a 1366 than you are going to pay close to that over an AM3. It just wasn't worth it in my eyes.

As for AMDZone... I did lol
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:21:50 AM

The fact is that its an AMD forum. The point of views expressed there would definitely be AMD dominated. That's why general forums are better.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:25:09 AM

BohleyK said:
Well if you decide on a 1366 than you are going to pay close to that over an AM3. It just wasn't worth it in my eyes.

Yes, let's compare platforms build for two different purposes. If you decide on LGA1366 then you have a use for 8 threads, you are rich, or you are stupid.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:27:05 AM

BohleyK said:

I'll grant you $200 more (i7-920 is ~$100 more than a PhII, mobo ~$100 more). That's not really the appropriate comparison though. You can get an 1156 setup for a lot less. Mobos are comparable, and the i5 is only ~$30 more even if you don't have a microcenter nearby (and it's cheaper if you do have a convenient microcenter). 1156 isn't dead either - it'll be getting 32 nm soon, and should be around for a while to come.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:29:53 AM

cjl said:
I'll grant you $200 more (i7-920 is ~$100 more than a PhII, mobo ~$100 more). You can get an 1156 setup though for a lot less. Mobos are comparable, and the i5 is only ~$30 more even if you don't have a microcenter nearby (and it's cheaper if you do have a convenient microcenter). 1156 isn't dead either - it'll be getting 32 nm soon, and should be around for a while to come.

Unless you're near a Microcenter.. where a Core i7 920 goes for $199.99USD: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

But yes.. the motherboards are most expensive. As for LGA 1156.. the motherboards are about on par with Phenom II AM3 based boards.
December 14, 2009 6:30:05 AM

randomizer said:
Yes, let's compare platforms build for two different purposes. If you decide on LGA1366 then you have a use for 8 threads, you are rich, or you are stupid.

Wow. I'm sorry I must have lost the entire point of this thread. I thought it was siding with one manufacturer over another because some idiots posted something retarded on a completely biased forum.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:42:52 AM

BohleyK said:
Wow. I'm sorry I must have lost the entire point of this thread. I thought it was siding with one manufacturer over another because some idiots posted something retarded on a completely biased forum.

It's siding with the facts.

Fact is that Core i5 and Core i7 are the current superior products. Needs may dictate a differing purchasing decision though. Someone who simply games might be better off with a Phenom II X3 720 or X4 955 and someone on a budget might be better off with an Athlon II X2 or X4 processor.

It's not about siding with a manufacturer per-say. More like siding with the current superior product. AMDZone highlights delusional behavior of those who do side with a manufacturer rather than a product. They will grab at straws to retain their world view and even go as far as claiming a Global World Wide conspiracy is in order.
December 14, 2009 7:11:34 AM

A bit off subject.... You don't need to live near a microcenter to get a core-i5 for $149. Frys electronics had a promo going all this last week for a i5+gigabyta something ud3r p55 mobo for $249. Pimp deal. I got 2 sets :) 

Also, keep in mind that i5 vs i7 vs amd whatever is sometimes irrelevent. Because people like my best friends mother buy a 12 gig of ram + i7 + x1 gtx280 just to surf the web for faster flash games. lol (Seriously happened) I cried with laughter and anger. lol
December 14, 2009 7:33:30 AM

AMDZone may be full of AMD fans (who'da thunk it), but Toms' is full of trolls. We have our partisans too, so I wouldn't get feeling to superior.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 9:21:28 AM

Tom's has a far greater user base, so trolls are naturally going to be more common.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 9:23:59 AM

^^Just an off-topic question: How many registered users in Tom's forum?
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 9:26:49 AM

314,796 but most don't post more than once or twice.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 9:30:19 AM

That's a pretty staggering number!!! :D 
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 12:18:51 PM

wickedsnow said:
Because people like my best friends mother buy a 12 gig of ram + i7 + x1 gtx280 just to surf the web for faster flash games. lol (Seriously happened) I cried with laughter and anger. lol

wowzers!

You would of thought she was getting the system to play crysis or do CAD work. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 12:20:48 PM

wow, thanks for making my morning, i consider myself a fanboi, but they are just delusional
December 14, 2009 12:43:04 PM

I have a Phenom II system, and half the time, I can't bring myself to even read AMD forums for any tips or advice because many of their members think that AMD CPU's are God's gift to mankind. It's pretty weird to me.

When I bought my system, I bought it on price/performance for my needs (gaming). Had 1156 been cheaper, I would've bought that instead. I have to wonder if some of this 'AMD love' is just people refusing to admit that their product may be 'worse' in certain respects, and adopting an 'INTEL IS TEH SUXORZ' attitude is just how they try and rationalize their purchase.

My Phenom 955 is an awesome CPU, but I only need to look at the multitude of stats which show me that an i5 750 is superior in many respects. Thinking otherwise would make me delusional, and would also mean that I believe that all the websites like Tom's are on some 'Intel payroll conspiracy.'
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 1:01:19 PM

DokkRokken said:
I have a Phenom II system, and half the time, I can't bring myself to even read AMD forums for any tips or advice because many of their members think that AMD CPU's are God's gift to mankind. It's pretty weird to me.

When I bought my system, I bought it on price/performance for my needs (gaming). Had 1156 been cheaper, I would've bought that instead. I have to wonder if some of this 'AMD love' is just people refusing to admit that their product may be 'worse' in certain respects, and adopting an 'INTEL IS TEH SUXORZ' attitude is just how they try and rationalize their purchase.

My Phenom 955 is an awesome CPU, but I only need to look at the multitude of stats which show me that an i5 750 is superior in many respects. Thinking otherwise would make me delusional, and would also mean that I believe that all the websites like Tom's are on some 'Intel payroll conspiracy.'

Honestly, I would have a PhII right now if all I cared about is gaming. It's a great system, and there's nothing wrong with it. I only have an i7 because I do large amounts of CFD/FEM/Solidworks/Matlab with my computer, and the i7 is phenomenal in that area.

I have to somewhat agree with you - the Phenom II is a great system, and it has many benefits. However, the people at AMDzone have clearly lost any semblance of common sense or logic by claiming it as superior to the i5/i7 line.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 1:20:08 PM

randomizer said:
314,796 but most don't post more than once or twice.

Well... There is a theory (farfetched, I know. But bear with me...) that it's possibly because the mods there ban anyone with a contrary opinion.

So, by way of example, if one happens to be one of those uneducated, drooling, mind bogglingly stupid, shills for the cancer causing, Father~Raping b@stards at SpIntel (who, by the way, are *proven* to have a manufacturing process fuelled by freshly clubbed baby harp seals and unborn fetus' ripped from the very wombs of 3rd world mothers in exchange for crumbs of bread because they're starving to death because Intel is perpetuating a drought in order to ensure their supplies....) then you might be forced to have a user ID count which is strikingly similar to your post count...

Just a theory, mind... :sarcastic: 
December 14, 2009 3:54:58 PM

die amd people! and amd sucks!!!

who else also hate amd here? i will give you my support!!
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 4:06:37 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1370...

With quotes like:
Quote:
In any rate, I think we can all agree that Phenom II 965BE at $188 is a MUCH BETTER DEAL than any Core i5 or i7. You pay less to get better quality processors with AMD. If AMD set the price points like this, I trust them that they know what they are doing, and they will be responsible of their stock prices (which, apparently, is not going to $1 as you suggested).

Quote:
scientia, your tests are really valuable because it demonstrates one important thing:
- Intel CPU OC is not just limited by thermal, but also by the intrinsic overclockability.
A corollary to that is
- there is no way for a Core i5/i7 to get undocumented high frequency with any good cooling.

kaa, IIRC, you were suggesting this with your Intellish propaganda?

But I have to say that even from 2.66GHz to 3GHz is very good overclocking.
from users such as Abinstein...

I would be inclined to say yes.

Have fun reading some of/if not the more idiotic statements found on the web.

Wow, an uninformed Intel fanboy throwing his anger out on an Intel biased forum... What did you expect from AMDZone? For the people there to say Elmo iz da God, he knowz all and AMD suckz? Nope buddy, AMDZone is the same trash as this forum is where a bunch of annoying fanboys like you come discussing, and when somebody wants to put you out you reply with statements like "OMG if you died do you think AMD would cure you? (a reply to one page-long proof";"OMG you uninformed I won't bother. (a reply to two pages of objective proof);"Haha OMG give me some of that crack you take." (a reply for 4 pages of proof)...

Anyways, I'l respond to your question. The answer is simple: "Yes, and you are one of them". What is wrong with the first quote? Isn't a superior processor in gaming at $188 a superb deal compared to $200 and $280 processors? Isn't it better to have a $188 processor that will finish rendering in 10 minutes or a $280 processor that will finish it in 9 minutes?

The second one is idiotic though, I can't argue that that isn't a good point...
December 14, 2009 5:28:14 PM

cjl said:
Honestly, I would have a PhII right now if all I cared about is gaming. It's a great system, and there's nothing wrong with it. I only have an i7 because I do large amounts of CFD/FEM/Solidworks/Matlab with my computer, and the i7 is phenomenal in that area.

Exactly! The i7 is a fantastic CPU for that purpose, and I think most people would agree that you made the right decision. However, I'm sure if you were to pitch that to a group of people with hard-ons for Phenom's, they'd probably disparage you, your choice, and Hyperthreading or something dumb.

If I were in the same situation, I'd have bought the i7 too. It's just 'better' for many of those tasks. However, it seems some people can't buy that, just because it's not manufactured by AMD. You can bet that if i7 were AMD, and Phenom were Intel, they'd be acting the same exact way as Intel-loving nerds do, trashing the Phenom and not admitting any redeeming or superior qualities.

Cryslayer80 said:
Isn't it better to have a $188 processor that will finish rendering in 10 minutes or a $280 processor that will finish it in 9 minutes?

That's entirely dependent upon priorities; you know what they say, 'time is money'. Some people may actually put a value on those extra minutes saved. And let's face it, the $280 CPU is better because it finishes the task faster; generally, that's one way you measure if something is better than the other. ;) 

It'd be akin to saying the Corvette is better than the Bugatti Veyron because the 'Vette's cheaper. The Veyron is faster, likely handles a tinge better, and has the brand cachet. From a price/performance standpoint, the Chevy cannot be beat, but anyone who says it's better than the Bugatti is smoking some good stuff. Same goes for those people on AMDZone or whatever. Seems like they've been huffing a little too much thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:37:18 PM

It really does depend on what you need the cpu for..... :pfff: 

AMD has good price to performance ratio, gets the general task done in very good time, and very good for gaming.

Intel has the high performance cpus to run cpu intensive task like CAD, video editing/converting, ect.

If some people believe that that AMD better, then maybe it's better for what they are doing or it's just there own option.

December 14, 2009 5:58:53 PM

I have bought far more AMD CPU's than Intel over the years and anyone with half a lick of common sense knows not to venture over to AMDZone for anything but entertainment.
December 14, 2009 6:25:57 PM

lol... a cookie cutter AMDZoner there rodney_ws. must suck to be that close minded.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:33:26 PM

The benchmarks are clear as water. AMD zone is a Fanboy-World, nothing new.. Just a bunch of idiots that have too much time on their hands.....
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:38:04 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
Wow, an uninformed Intel fanboy throwing his anger out on an Intel biased forum... What did you expect from AMDZone? For the people there to say Elmo iz da God, he knowz all and AMD suckz? Nope buddy, AMDZone is the same trash as this forum is where a bunch of annoying fanboys like you come discussing, and when somebody wants to put you out you reply with statements like "OMG if you died do you think AMD would cure you? (a reply to one page-long proof";"OMG you uninformed I won't bother. (a reply to two pages of objective proof);"Haha OMG give me some of that crack you take." (a reply for 4 pages of proof)...

Anyways, I'l respond to your question. The answer is simple: "Yes, and you are one of them". What is wrong with the first quote? Isn't a superior processor in gaming at $188 a superb deal compared to $200 and $280 processors? Isn't it better to have a $188 processor that will finish rendering in 10 minutes or a $280 processor that will finish it in 9 minutes?

Umm... please go away?

We are not slandering any companies or products, god forbid, just stating how funny AMDzone can sometimes be. As for Elmo, he isn't an Intel fanboy as you insinuate, though I don't agree with some of his points. Show me where he is saying that the Phenom II can't hit over 3.6 GHz and anything otherwise is a lie and that it is all a huge conspiracy. That is what AMDZone says about Intel, the i5 750 in this case, and that is truly biased. The only one being overly biased here is you, you insinuate that this board is full of Intel fanboys and yet at least half of the major posters on this forum are sporting Phenom IIs, and many, including myself, are not slow to recommend AMD products.

So please, go away if this is such a biased, horrible, sinful place and never return because we are all paid off by evil Intel!
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:42:17 PM

Cryslayer80 said:

Umm.. A Corei5 750 can be had for $149.99USD now... just saying.

Also.. what does the price have to do with anything? Is that your preferred indicator?

I like top performance, if I can get a CPU for less money which matches or beats the most expensive CPU that is the one I will purchase though.

The Corei7 920 is that processor. Since I am an overclocker, it clocks just as high as any Corei7 965/975 yet costs less. I didn't buy my Corei7 because it was an Intel product or because I wanted to support an "evil" empire. I bought it because it gives me top performance. That's it. That's how I make my purchasing decisions. ALWAYS HAVE and always will. I don't change my mind just to suit a particular manufacturer.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:46:01 PM

I think that jennyh and Elmo should get past this petty bickering, admit their lust for each other, and have some red hot monkey love!
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:48:50 PM

chunkymonster said:
I think that jennyh and Elmo should get past this petty bickering, admit their lust for each other, and have some red hot monkey love!

She wouldn't be able to handle me :p 
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:51:19 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Umm.. A Corei5 750 can be had for $149.99USD now... just saying.

Also.. what does the price have to do with anything? Is that your preferred indicator?

I like top performance, if I can get a CPU for less money which matches or beats the most expensive CPU that is the one I will purchase though.

The Corei7 920 is that processor. Since I am an overclocker, it clocks just as high as any Corei7 965/975 yet costs less. I didn't buy my Corei7 because it was an Intel product or because I wanted to support an "evil" empire. I bought it because it gives me top performance. That's it. That's how I make my purchasing decisions. ALWAYS HAVE and always will. I don't change my mind just to suit a particular manufacturer.

I agree, though I don't feel the microcenter price really counts. I also think the Phenom II X4 965 is a waste and only the 955 really makes sense, which is a $170 CPU compared to a $200 (i5 750).
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:58:40 PM

Who here has actually bought a cheap cpu from micro center?

I'm betting when you go in to pick one up, you get all sorts of harrassment from their salespeople advising you to take out certain insurance plans etc etc. Either that or the 'walk in promo cpu's' are out of stock unless you buy it with memory/mobo costing $$$'s.

I'd be amazed if anybody actually walked in to a micro center and came out with an i5 and only $149.99 spent.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:59:36 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
She wouldn't be able to handle me :p 

Hah! Long since done with boys elmo. :kaola: 
December 14, 2009 7:05:22 PM

you would be amazed how wrong you are about Microcenter jennyh. no harassment at all and they do a decent job of keeping stocked. closest one to me is about 3 hours away so it isn't worth it to me but made the trek once because i thought similarly to you on the CPU prices. bought one, friend bought one ( i7 920's for 199)but in the end it just made me more upset there wasn't one closer. =/
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 7:26:52 PM

Shopping at microcenter works like this.

1. Look up what you want on the website and check availability in your local store.

1a. You can even call and confirm that the product is there as well if you like.

2. You go to the store and buy it for the advertises price + tax.

Thats it.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 7:27:36 PM

Well that's good to know actually, I assume they sell Phenoms cheaper too?

The only reason I brought it up was I read something about it recently, can't remember if it was on fudzilla or the inq...but anyway they reckoned that there was more to these cheap cpu's than meets the eye.

Oh well, if you have first hand experience of it I'm not gonna argue.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 7:29:28 PM

jennyh said:
Who here has actually bought a cheap cpu from micro center?

I'm betting when you go in to pick one up, you get all sorts of harrassment from their salespeople advising you to take out certain insurance plans etc etc. Either that or the 'walk in promo cpu's' are out of stock unless you buy it with memory/mobo costing $$$'s.

I'd be amazed if anybody actually walked in to a micro center and came out with an i5 and only $149.99 spent.

About a month ago I drove 35 miles to the nearest MC to get me an i5 750 (150.00$), some noise dampening material, a few 120mm fans and a case. Everything else was purchased from the Egg...I ended up saving 160.00 total and the only harrasment I got was when I went to pay the owner of the store asked me if I wanted to buy a mobo among other things. I simply said NO, i have the rest of the hardware at home, he started to ask more questions and I said "Im late for a customers build" cya when I CYA!!! lol

So in all I spent 15 dollars on gas, 6 dollars on 2 redbulls... Total savings 160.00$ - 21.00$ = 139.00$
    • 1 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!