Sign in with
Your question

This CPU upgrade for my S775 boards - worth it ?

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:09:02 AM

Hi

I run 2 DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations), one with E6600 and one with E8400 (Asus P5B Delux & Asus P5KE-Wifi respectively).

Been out the loop regarding cpu development - but gather the i7 current "must have".

Now I'm happy with these systems - they cope well with what I do on them - and don't want the hassle of a complete rebuild.

But I see that newer 65W C2Q s775's have arrived with 65W rating (rather than original 95W)

e.g. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S

Obviously heat (& noise) are my primary concern - and these "S" versions seem to come out quite well:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc .aspx?i=3505&p=8

Can't seem to locate comparisons with my old C2D cpu's though.

Would I see a big performance boost with this cpu ?

Would power consumption be similar ?

My only slight concern is that I still sometimes use Cubase SX2.2, which is not optimised for Quad cores & I think may suffer as a result...

thanks
a c 159 à CPUs
December 14, 2009 10:51:33 AM

Those 65w quads are pricey. Do a search for benchmarks, even this site's most recent benchmarks may not include that cpu.
December 14, 2009 11:08:46 AM

Yeah I know. I was going to wait until the price dropped (there are reasons why I would like to stick to these S775 machines)...
Related resources
December 14, 2009 3:35:12 PM

swayzak said:
Hi

I run 2 DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations), one with E6600 and one with E8400 (Asus P5B Delux & Asus P5KE-Wifi respectively).

Been out the loop regarding cpu development - but gather the i7 current "must have".

Now I'm happy with these systems - they cope well with what I do on them - and don't want the hassle of a complete rebuild.

But I see that newer 65W C2Q s775's have arrived with 65W rating (rather than original 95W)

e.g. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S

Obviously heat (& noise) are my primary concern - and these "S" versions seem to come out quite well:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc .aspx?i=3505&p=8

Can't seem to locate comparisons with my old C2D cpu's though.

Would I see a big performance boost with this cpu ?

Would power consumption be similar ?

My only slight concern is that I still sometimes use Cubase SX2.2, which is not optimised for Quad cores & I think may suffer as a result...

thanks

the power of 32nm fabrication is quitely amazing. well go for it. it is better than corei5/phenom 2 though
a c 159 à CPUs
December 14, 2009 3:38:06 PM

That low wattage quad won't go down in price; if anything, it will rise as the supply dries up. I doubt you'll save enough energy to warrant the higher price over a regular 95w. The 9550 has been as low as $169.99 at microcenter in stores only.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 15, 2009 1:49:46 PM

I agree with o1die. 65 watts instead of 90 watts sounds like a big difference, but you need to consider the power consumption of the complete PC, not just the CPU.
!