Random Reboots and no Shutdown!

G

OK, this is seriously frustrating! Has anyone ever heard of Random reboots in Windows 2000? Just all of a sudden it turns off sometimes! And I kept it on long enough to download the SP2 and it stopped working completely. It would never shut down either..

The system is stable in Windows ME by the way, but Windows 2000 would be great!

The set up is as follows:
ECS K7S5A board (SiS 735)
350 W PSU (Enermax)
30 Gb HDD (Seagate Barracuda)
1.4 Ghz Athlon T-Bird
2 256 DDR sticks (Samsung)
and a Yamaha 2100E

Any clue as to what the heck is going on would be appreciated.

- Corri

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
- Albert Einstein

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
First, check your event logs. If there is an error start from there. If not it may be hardware related. Try taking out one of your DDR sticks for a while. If the problem stays, switch it with the other stick.

Also make sure you don't have any resource conflicts with your power management, and be sure your mobo drivers are up to date (and not the ones that 2000 loads by itself).

G

Yeah, I tried the RAM thing already, even put in some old SDRAM from another machine and no difference..

OK, so I'll look into this event log but as for resource conflicts. This is new to me, how would I check this out?

And finally, my mobo doesn't seem to have come with any chipset drivers but SiS.com does offer them for my chipset, I'll try those out too.

Thanks man
I'll let you know how it goes

- Albert Einstein

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
hey corri...i seem to have the same problem as you do...but your case seems to be worse than mines. if anyone has any advice for me or corri let us know. btw, my sistems configuration is as follows:

MB: asus p4b (intel 845i chipset)
CPU: P4 1.7 ghz
HD: maxtor 60. gb ata100 7200 rpm
MEM: 1 256 mb pc133 ram
DVD: sony 16x dvd / 52x cd
burner: hp 8200 series

i also have a 300w P4 ready power supply.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

G

Hi Corri, I have the same board as you, brilliant!, I had a similar problem on my work(AOpen Mainboard) system, running 2k, I tried an older Bios version, yeah I know sounds ridiculous, but it worked, no more random reboots! If there is no older Bios Version, try a newer version.
Good Luck.

AMD_Villain

G

I have the same problem . with a older computer it's a 500mhz. amd k6/2 . with ALi motherbord.
i triad swithing ram with no change.
i have triad every thing without swithing the processor.
but have change the klockspeed down with no change.
it's like you say it runs stable in win ME. its just 2000 and xp that does not work. i wounder if you have orginal amd ram memmory for youre computer maybe this has something to do with it. plz make a post if you solove the problem.

G

Yah, I've tried switching the RAM as well as a few other hardware compnents. Everything but the CPU and motherboard.. I've sent it to the place where I got the board from and if they can fix it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Corri

- Albert Einstein

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i had that problem it is a power management problem. what it was was my video card was conflicting with the power management in the irq's change it over to standard pc and watch it stop. then after about a week. why ? dunno just was a nice number to me.. switch it back and should be done with. also had the problem with my nic card when i had a cable modem going i switched it to a differnt slot and it cleared up.

G

did you get an answer from them yet???
have't goten any more answer to the problem.

Plz let me know as soon as you got something

Many thz Stefan

G

yea i have the same prob as soon as windows 2000 and installed yea it just keeps rebooting for unknown reason but the thing is when i first get my windows 2k cd yea it did not do it ??? dont know my spec
GA-5AX
4 gig
128 meg
if u know any ideas on how to stop it then please let me know

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
wow....its been a while since someone posted something on this thread.
anyways...have no fear people...i may have the answer to this stupid win 2k rebooting problem.
anyways...the only way to fix this problem (to my knowledge of course) is to basically change your OS.
i upgraded to win xp proffesional (bah!!) and my system works fine now...no more random reboots.
although im not fully satisfied with xp (bah!!), at least i can use my comp without having to worry about unexpected reboots.
btw, win 98 should work fine too.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB