Toshiba Tecra A1 - dark corners on bottom of screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 27, 2004 1:43:18 AM

Hi gang . . .

I just picked up a Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop from Office Depot. So far I
am really liking it. This one was the last Tecra A1 in the store and
it was a display model. Got a very good price on it so I can ignore
the odd scratch on the sides.

However, I am curious about the darker lower corners on the screen.
The task bar, which is grey, is even right across the display until it
hits either corner. Then the corners turn a darker grey, like a stain
almost.

The Tecras have the speakers mounted at the very far back on the lower
part of the unit. This places them directly under the left and right
sides of the screen. Could this be causing the problem?

The odd time . . . the darkness in the corners will not show when I am
first turning on the laptop.

Anyone else out there that notices the same discolor on the corners of
their Toshiba Tecra?

Thanks

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 4:33:42 AM

Peter wrote:
> Hi gang . . .
>
> I just picked up a Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop from Office Depot. So far I
> am really liking it. This one was the last Tecra A1 in the store and
> it was a display model. Got a very good price on it so I can ignore
> the odd scratch on the sides.
>
> However, I am curious about the darker lower corners on the screen.
> The task bar, which is grey, is even right across the display until it
> hits either corner. Then the corners turn a darker grey, like a stain
> almost.
>
> The Tecras have the speakers mounted at the very far back on the lower
> part of the unit. This places them directly under the left and right
> sides of the screen. Could this be causing the problem?
>
> The odd time . . . the darkness in the corners will not show when I am
> first turning on the laptop.
>
> Anyone else out there that notices the same discolor on the corners of
> their Toshiba Tecra?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

The screen should be uniformly bright as the brightness is turned up and
down. There is a screen defect on this unit.

May 27, 2004 4:48:13 PM

Thanks Quaoar

I will give Toshiba a call and see what they can do about it. This was
the last one in the store and the price of $1299 Canadian was a great
deal vs the $1899 retail.

Appreciate the response.

Peter
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 9:35:42 PM

Peter wrote:
> Thanks Quaoar
>
> I will give Toshiba a call and see what they can do about it. This was
> the last one in the store and the price of $1299 Canadian was a great
> deal vs the $1899 retail.
>
> Appreciate the response.
>
> Peter

OTOH, one becomes accustomed to defects like hot pixels, etc, pretty
quickly. If the balance of the screen is OK... Does it change with
screen orientation?

a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 6:51:27 AM

It is VERY hard (impossible) to really evaluate this without being able
to see the screen.

The speakers, however, are definitely NOT an issue. It's an LCD, and
it's totally impervious to magnetic fields. In fact, LCDs are used in
places where CRTs cannot be used for this reason. I used to do work in
telephone power plants where wires (actually solid copper bars) carried
10,000 amps and we could not use CRTs because the strong magnetic fields
badly distorted their image. But LCDs work fine.

Some [slight but noticeable] variance in brightness at corners or along
edges of the LCD, while undesirable, are not uncommon. The displays are
edge-lit, and it's hard to avoid this totally. However, your
description sounds like your screen might be outside of acceptable
parameters. And at this point, as I said, it's really not possible to
evaluate this without seeing the screen.

Peter wrote:

> Hi gang . . .
>
> I just picked up a Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop from Office Depot. So far I
> am really liking it. This one was the last Tecra A1 in the store and
> it was a display model. Got a very good price on it so I can ignore
> the odd scratch on the sides.
>
> However, I am curious about the darker lower corners on the screen.
> The task bar, which is grey, is even right across the display until it
> hits either corner. Then the corners turn a darker grey, like a stain
> almost.
>
> The Tecras have the speakers mounted at the very far back on the lower
> part of the unit. This places them directly under the left and right
> sides of the screen. Could this be causing the problem?
>
> The odd time . . . the darkness in the corners will not show when I am
> first turning on the laptop.
>
> Anyone else out there that notices the same discolor on the corners of
> their Toshiba Tecra?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 7:22:21 AM

I've seen quite a few LCDs with this problem, including the Compaq Evo
N600c that I'm using right now. I noticed it at first, but now it really
doesn't bother me at all. This laptop is about 2 years old, and it had
the problem since day one so if you can live with it, it won't get worse.

If you decide to replace it (and Toshiba accepts), you may end up with
another LCD that has other problems. I've had Compaq Armada M700 where
the replacement LCD had more than 40 burnt pixels (the original LCD has
a bright white spot on one side). The white spot was quite benign
compared to all those burnt pixels. Compaq replaced it again, but if it
would have had 10 bad pixels or less, they would have refused.

Cosmin

Peter wrote:

> Hi gang . . .
>
> I just picked up a Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop from Office Depot. So far I
> am really liking it. This one was the last Tecra A1 in the store and
> it was a display model. Got a very good price on it so I can ignore
> the odd scratch on the sides.
>
> However, I am curious about the darker lower corners on the screen.
> The task bar, which is grey, is even right across the display until it
> hits either corner. Then the corners turn a darker grey, like a stain
> almost.
>
> The Tecras have the speakers mounted at the very far back on the lower
> part of the unit. This places them directly under the left and right
> sides of the screen. Could this be causing the problem?
>
> The odd time . . . the darkness in the corners will not show when I am
> first turning on the laptop.
>
> Anyone else out there that notices the same discolor on the corners of
> their Toshiba Tecra?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
May 28, 2004 10:26:56 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<KeGdnSCFAeHT5ivdRVn->
> OTOH, one becomes accustomed to defects like hot pixels, etc, pretty
> quickly. If the balance of the screen is OK... Does it change with
> screen orientation?

Hi Quaoar . .

It changes slightly but not very much. The dark marks in the corners
are noticable more so the longer the screen is on.

I spoke to the Toshiba rep and he indicated that unless the defect is
larger than a dime size ( his words ) then Toshiba will not consider
it to be a problem. He also mentioned to me that if Toshiba receives
the laptop from me for service, and if they do not find a problem,
then they (Toshiba) will charge me for looking at the laptop. So . . .
he suggested that I take it to a local Toshiba repair center, warranty
center, to have someone there determine if it could be considered a
problem by Toshiba. Problem is, is that such a center is 3 hours away
from me.

Oh well . . . I am still deciding what to do. Love the laptop, the
store has no others to replace it, I paid a very good price, wife says
"keep it and just before the warrranty in up in 3 years, send it in .
.. . maybe the defect will be bigger than dime size by then :-)"

BTW, the rest of the screen is perfect . . . just those 2 dark areas
in the lower corners . . .

Thanks :-)

Peter
May 28, 2004 10:34:23 AM

Thanks Barry :-)

Very interesting . . . I did not know that:
"The speakers, however, are definitely NOT an issue. It's an LCD, and
it's totally impervious to magnetic fields. In fact, LCDs are used in
places where CRTs cannot be used for this reason."

I know it is difficult to give an opinion without seeing it. Really
difficult as well in discribing it . . . lol . . . tried that with the
Toshiba rep over the phone, what an ordeal. The rep was very difficult
to understand due to his oriental accent . . . so it was very
interesting when he would repeat what I said or ask me to try things.
Between the two of us, him repeating himself, and me "pardon me? sorry
I didn't get that . . ." I don't think he really had a clear idea of
what the defect was.

I think I will try to take a picture of the screen and post it.
Hopefully that will show something.

Thanks for your response Barry :-)

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 7:08:33 PM

Peter wrote:
>> OTOH, one becomes accustomed to defects like hot pixels, etc, pretty
>> quickly. If the balance of the screen is OK... Does it change with
>> screen orientation?
>>
> Hi Quaoar . .
>
> It changes slightly but not very much. The dark marks in the corners
> are noticable more so the longer the screen is on.
>
> I spoke to the Toshiba rep and he indicated that unless the defect is
> larger than a dime size ( his words ) then Toshiba will not consider
> it to be a problem. He also mentioned to me that if Toshiba receives
> the laptop from me for service, and if they do not find a problem,
> then they (Toshiba) will charge me for looking at the laptop. So . . .
> he suggested that I take it to a local Toshiba repair center, warranty
> center, to have someone there determine if it could be considered a
> problem by Toshiba. Problem is, is that such a center is 3 hours away
> from me.
>
> Oh well . . . I am still deciding what to do. Love the laptop, the
> store has no others to replace it, I paid a very good price, wife says
> "keep it and just before the warrranty in up in 3 years, send it in .
> . . maybe the defect will be bigger than dime size by then :-)"
>
> BTW, the rest of the screen is perfect . . . just those 2 dark areas
> in the lower corners . . .
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> Peter

If you very gently press an LCD screen with a finger, the pressure point
and surrounding area become darkened. Since the darkness is in the
corners, perhaps it is something as simple as the bezel being too tighly
screwed down. It's easy to check by removing the plugs over the screws
(I am guessing there are plugs and screws, most larger LCDs have them)
and backing them out maybe one-quarter to one-half turn.

Me: Did you ACTUALLY TOUCH MY SCREEN???

Wife: Well, you told me never to get near your screen with a pen!
May 28, 2004 7:27:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your response. Learned some things from this.
Cosmin, that is interesting about the pixels relative to count. I
never would have guessed that manufacturers of laptops would have a
tolerance of acceptable flaws by measuring in pixels. As the Toshiba
rep mentioned to me, a defect less than a dime size would not be
considered a defect. He made a rough estimate of that being 25 pixels
wide. Interesting . . .

Good news on my laptop however :-) I received a call from Office Depot
locally and the rep I was dealing with said they found a brand new
Tecra A1, in a sealed box, at another store. He took the liberty of
having it shipped all the way here overnight. So he phoned me to tell
me he had a brand new, defect free laptop for me . . . Wow, was I
surprised and impressed. So I went and picked it up a couple of hours
ago, and here I am, posting this message with it. :-)

Thanks again for all the responses . . . take care and have a great
weekend.

Peter :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 7:24:42 PM

I was just going to suggest taking a photo with a digital camera. It
may be difficult to get a photo which accurately captures what you are
seeing, however.

Peter wrote:

> Thanks Barry :-)
>
> Very interesting . . . I did not know that:
> "The speakers, however, are definitely NOT an issue. It's an LCD, and
> it's totally impervious to magnetic fields. In fact, LCDs are used in
> places where CRTs cannot be used for this reason."
>
> I know it is difficult to give an opinion without seeing it. Really
> difficult as well in discribing it . . . lol . . . tried that with the
> Toshiba rep over the phone, what an ordeal. The rep was very difficult
> to understand due to his oriental accent . . . so it was very
> interesting when he would repeat what I said or ask me to try things.
> Between the two of us, him repeating himself, and me "pardon me? sorry
> I didn't get that . . ." I don't think he really had a clear idea of
> what the defect was.
>
> I think I will try to take a picture of the screen and post it.
> Hopefully that will show something.
>
> Thanks for your response Barry :-)
>
> Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 7:37:22 PM

Ok, but one final question: Based on your experience with the original
"open box" laptop and the "new, sealed box" unit, WAS there a defect, or
do you see somewhat the same thing in the new unit?

Peter wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your response. Learned some things from this.
> Cosmin, that is interesting about the pixels relative to count. I
> never would have guessed that manufacturers of laptops would have a
> tolerance of acceptable flaws by measuring in pixels. As the Toshiba
> rep mentioned to me, a defect less than a dime size would not be
> considered a defect. He made a rough estimate of that being 25 pixels
> wide. Interesting . . .
>
> Good news on my laptop however :-) I received a call from Office Depot
> locally and the rep I was dealing with said they found a brand new
> Tecra A1, in a sealed box, at another store. He took the liberty of
> having it shipped all the way here overnight. So he phoned me to tell
> me he had a brand new, defect free laptop for me . . . Wow, was I
> surprised and impressed. So I went and picked it up a couple of hours
> ago, and here I am, posting this message with it. :-)
>
> Thanks again for all the responses . . . take care and have a great
> weekend.
>
> Peter :-)
June 4, 2004 5:24:20 PM

Hi Barry . . .

Yes, there was a defect on the one I returned. The new laptop is
clear. However . . . if I look at one of the corners, on an angle, I
can see slight darkening in a very small area. So I would say that the
first laptop had a defect since it was extremely noticable as dark
patches in the corner, at any angle and at any contrast or brightness
setting.

Thanks . . . :-)

Peter

!