Sign in with
Your question

PC tries to start but doesn't happen.

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2009 10:50:42 PM

Ok I just got all the parts from newegg yesterday and for a second yesterday it started up with the bios screen and unfortunately I did not have my disc drive hooked up so I couldn't load the boot disk. After hooking up the disc drive it looks like it is about to start up then stops and tries again repeatedly. The led lights on my fans of the chasis, the heatsink fan, and the graphics card fan all start to move then stop as well. I wanna cry because I am such a noob to this it could be anything ... misplugged cable, incompatible psu... I have no idea so maybe you all can help.

Here is my build.

i5 2.66 processor
Asrock P55 Pro Motherboard (says it is EUP ready and needs Eup power supply..maybe this is the problem?)
Sapphire 4850 1g graphics card
Exclio X14 (greatpower 550w; 12v atx power) power supply
lG Super Multi Blue disc drive
2x2g ddr3 ram
1 tb samsung 7200rpm hd

I guess I just don't know where to start... I took apart everything and reconnected it all and it still attempts or looks like it is attempting to start and then just keeps repeating the process with no success. All parts are new.... what could be wrong?

Please help!

More about : start happen

a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2009 10:53:49 PM

You need to start off by performing every step in this checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

The checklist was created to troubleshoot problems exactly like yours. A can't stress how important it is to actually perform every step. It seems like most people glance over it and think it doesn't apply to them for some reason.
m
l
September 25, 2009 11:39:27 PM

I actually am going through all the steps on this checklist but in all honesty I did most of these already from a different checklist I found online when problems first started happening.... so I hope this helps but I am pretty sure I got all of them together. Also I am looking at the manual to my asrock p55 motherboard and it is confusing as to where to place or how to connect the sw power hdd led and reset cords. Maybe some clarification on that might help as well. I don't know what or how to connect them.. thought I had them right but maybe not.
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2009 1:12:12 AM

ok went through the checklist and I got the cords figured out... it will try to turn on again when I hit the power button on the front but still can't manage to do more then start the fans for a half second on the cpu,graphics card, and psu. The led lights turn on and the fans on my case try to twirl for a 2nd too. Hmmmm..... grr any other suggestions as to whats going on?
m
l
September 26, 2009 1:18:18 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
You need to start off by performing every step in this checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

The checklist was created to troubleshoot problems exactly like yours. A can't stress how important it is to actually perform every step. It seems like most people glance over it and think it doesn't apply to them for some reason.

I don't think it helped.....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2009 6:07:40 AM

Sounds like a possible short. Did you perform the breadboarding step in the checklist where you assemble the system with the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short? Did you try each stick of RAM by itself?
m
l
September 26, 2009 4:33:09 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Sounds like a possible short. Did you perform the breadboarding step in the checklist where you assemble the system with the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short? Did you try each stick of RAM by itself?

ok this might have solved something... I did the first step of the breadboarding... funny thing is it won't power up even with everything removed... again it tries the fan on the heatsink starts to move and the lights on the motherboard will come on till I hit the power button on the mb. Then it tries to start the fans and then stops and tries again.
m
l
September 26, 2009 4:52:03 PM

I should also mention that when doing the steps you gave me a noticed I had missed one of the brass stand offs underneath the mother board when installing it... so there was an extra one underneath it.... could this have caused my mother board to short circuit and die? Wow... soooo sad if so.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2009 4:54:59 PM

that is possible if your PSU doesnt have good overcurrent protection.
m
l
!