Crucial m4 128GB: Intel ICH10R vs Marvell 9128 (SATA 3)

dconde

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev. 2 motherboard and a Crucial m4 128GB SSD. I am using the MS AHCI driver. I get the following benchmarks on the two controllers:

Intel ICH10R (SATA 2):
3viVd.png

Marvell 9128 (SATA 3):
spjb9.png

Which is one better for everyday use? Anything I can do to increase my score? Different driver?
Thanks.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Johhny's right but you could try some PCI-E overclock if you wanted to use the Marvell chip. It responds well since the Marvell runs off the PCI-E bus. Usually only make it as far as your gfx card will allow though.

dconde

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks guys. I'm going to use the Intel port. The Marvell port is known for being unreliable and no one is sure if it supports TRIM. My guess is that it does not, since Marvell has made no comment about it. I will have to wait until I get a motherboard with native SATA3 support to get the most out of this drive.

tecmo34

Administrator

Good point!! Along with that, the Marvell controller is SATA III versus the Intel SATA II controller. This will give you a little better performance on it's own. If the motherboard was an Intel SATA III controller, I would say without a doubt the Intel.