Sign in with
Your question

PSU buzzing driving me insane....

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2009 10:59:25 AM

I recently bought a new case/psu/gpu and transferred all the parts from my Dell Inspiron 530s into the new case.

Everything is running well except one thing: The psu makes a constant buzzing sound. It's actually not that loud but I can hear it a little over the case fans. It doesn't sound loud enough to be a serious prob, but it's just so annoying. It's like something that you don't really notice, but when you finally do notice it, it drives you crazy.

It changes alot depending on what I'm doing:

It's at it's peak when I run Guild Wars without V-Sync on. It's definitely tons quieter with V-Sync on though. It changes depending on whether Guild Wars is minimized or not.

On a rare occasion, it becomes audible as I scroll up and down through websites.

In Unreal Tournament 3, it's very noticeable on menu screens till the game starts - It pulses every 2 seconds and everytime it does, the game gets a slight but annoying stutter (since it's nonstop).

I've read around on the Corsair forums about it and many seem to have the same issue. It was suggested to disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS (this solved the prob for many) but I'd rather not as I've read about the negatives effects of doing that. A few said that having the psu replaced with the same model didn't solve the issue.

Here's the new parts I've been using:

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Based on it's behavior that I described, is there something I can change to possibly fix this? Thanks for any help!
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 6:17:46 PM

Is there a switch on the PSU for the fan speed? The fact that it changes a lot based on you doing stuff leads me to believe it is set on auto. Perhaps switching it to Low would help. If the case is heating up, and the PSU is being used to supplement the cooling, maybe getting more or better case fans would help the situation.
m
l
December 14, 2009 6:34:02 PM

My hunch is it's actually the GPU doing the buzzing
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2009 6:54:56 PM

It sounds like its the gpu fan and that IMO is unacceptable. On a cardwith non-refference cooler which is supposedly better than the stock one in some way i would not expect any kind of noise unless under really heavy load.
m
l
December 15, 2009 9:21:26 AM

I let the pc run without the case to double check where the sound is coming from and it's definitely coming from the psu. I also tried running the pc without the gpu and the noise is silent. Having the gpu installed causes the psu to make the sound.

I have no idea why but, the stuttering within UT3 has stopped completely. The game is no longer frustrating to play. The buzzing is still audible when going through menus but is tons quieter ingame.

The card is always running at a good temp (35-55c). In Guild Wars, having V-Sync off not only makes the buzzing loud (along with making my framerate reach to about 130) but it also makes the activity meter in the Catalyst control center hit 99%, but the card's temp still remains at 45c though.

Now I'm really wondering, is the buzzing normal? This is the first standard-sized case pc in about 7 months. Before this, I had that slimcase Inspiron 530s for a while. It was running off the integrated gpu so of course it was dead silent (with only 1 fan besides the psu). Maybe I got too used to silence? Still though, I find it weird that it occasionally buzzes as I scroll through websites.

It's actually not that loud, but still somewhat annoying at times. I used to deal with something tons worse (on a horribly old Dell). Should I refund either the case/gpu or should I just deal with it/try to fix the problem? With the stuttering in UT3 mysteriously disappearing, I could maaaaaybe try to deal with the sound. I'm not sure.

I almost forgot to ask about refunds from Newegg: on the card I ordered, I actually took off a sticker that was on it (think it was a barcode er somethin). This is the first time I've bought a new gpu in years so I assumed it was supposed to come off. In the requirements for a standard 30-day refund, it mentions that the item needs it's manufacturing label er something similar. Is that what I removed? I still have the box and everything, would it be possible for me to refund it?

And lastly, do you think a case with one 120mm fan and 2-3 80mm's is enough to keep a $110 9800gt cool? If it's possible to refund my current gpu, I might be tempted. Then again, I'm not too much of a gamer so I'd have to give it some thought first.
m
l
December 15, 2009 10:32:28 AM

Not sure, but it isn't uncommon for electrical components to create sound. Though I don't think it should be creating a buzzing noise at all, it might either be overloaded or it may just be normal operation. Though I don't have much confidence in your psu, what brand and wattage is it?
m
l
December 15, 2009 11:31:42 AM

amnotanoobie said:
Not sure, but it isn't uncommon for electrical components to create sound. Though I don't think it should be creating a buzzing noise at all, it might either be overloaded or it may just be normal operation. Though I don't have much confidence in your psu, what brand and wattage is it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm running a 3ghz Core2Duo with 4gb ram on 64-bit Win 7.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:47:59 AM

You could try to RMA it, my VX550 doesn't make a sound (that I notice) when I play on the PC that it's on. For this case it's just better to be safe than sorry.
m
l
!