Sign in with
Your question

Gentlemen, I need help

Last response: in Overclocking
December 27, 2011 8:34:02 AM

Hello Gentlemen (And ladies),

I have come across a conundrum. Before I begin, yes, you could call me a ricer, and that I have an apparent soft spot for aesthetics. Seeing as that's out of the way, let's commense with my inquiries, shall we?

My current rig (The relevant info):
AMD Phenom II 965 BE (Runs at 3.41 Ghz stock, may OC it to about 3.7 if you guys feel it's safe to do such)
16GB 1600Mhz
4GB 550Ti (Yes, they actually do make this card)
-*Note: I am upgrading to a 2GB 6970 within a week or so.

Please don't bash on it for being (Insert company name here) or anything, I just need straight up assistance.

I've looked around, and I've come up with two options for myself. Here they are:

Corsair H100 with spiral UV blue LEDs around them, and 2x 120 Blue LED fans

(LED spirals found = http://www.xoxide.com/anti-kink-coils-12-blue.html)

OR

A DIY kit with blue tubes (Blue tubes not included, I can get them on the site though, just don't feel like linking)

(http://www.xoxide.com/xspc-rasa750rs240-watercoolingkit...)

My computer is supposed to be like Cthulhu (You know, the underwater monster thing from H.P. Lovecraft's story, Call of Cthulhu?) So I want it to look as cool as it can, while still maintaining the best performance/price ratio.

I'm leaning torwards the H100 as it's a wee bit cheaper, and easier to install.

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

More about : gentlemen

a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2011 11:50:21 AM

Duplicate thread?

Edit: well i answered on your other thread but it has disappeared, sorry about that.

As saint said, a DIY kit is good for upgrades and future watercooling... so for instance if you want to water cool your GPU's some time in the future I would definitely recommend a DIY kit.

However in your case I would lean towards a H100, especially if you are only interested in cooling the CPU and are interested in keeping the price very low.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 1:41:34 AM

Ok... So I have a new set of inquiries.

It turns out if I want to do water cooling, my radiator will have to be on top of the case. I'm considering getting this (http://www.xoxide.com/xspc-rasa750rs240-watercoolingkit...) with some blue tubes and blue LED 120mm fans.

Will this work alright? Also, how would I refill it without opening up the case everytime?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 1:53:45 AM

What do you mean refill it without opening up the case every time? You should only need to fill it once, make sure all the air is out, and you are set for about a year.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:11:21 AM

You don't refill it at least like, once a week? What?

Really?

Here is what I'd like to get. Tell me if it's good.

Shopping Cart

Item

Unit Price

Qty.

In Stock

Cost

XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Water Cooling Kit [remove]

$129.95

Yes

$129.95

PrimoFlex Pro LRT 1/2in ID 3/4in OD UV Blue Tubing [remove]

$1.99

Yes

$7.96

Quad Blue LED 120mm Fan [remove]

$7.95

Yes

$15.90

Zalman G200 Water Cooling Additive [remove]

$17.99

Yes

$35.98

Subtotal:

$189.79

Total:

$189.79
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 11:41:00 AM

You will not need the Zalman G200, get a killcoil instead or some biocide like PT Nuke.
m
l
December 28, 2011 12:00:19 PM

I'm only getting the Zalman stuff for the following reasons:

-Makes 4L worth of ***.

-Is blue

Would it be possible to mount the radiator on top of the case, and have the water tubes go into the case via the grommeted holes in the back? How good would this look?

Or should I just get a larger case, like the NZXT Phantom and wait even longer?

Thanks everyone!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 1:29:15 PM

Quote:
I'm only getting the Zalman stuff for the following reasons:

-Makes 4L worth of ***.

-Is blue

It's going to make 4L of blue junk that is most likely going to build up on your blocks and inside your rad/pump. Simply use distilled water with one of those silver killcoils to prevent living things from growing (low likelihood, but nothing is 100% pure).

Keep in mind that you're looking at blue tubing...so it's going to be blue inside the case anyway...

Quote:
Would it be possible to mount the radiator on top of the case, and have the water tubes go into the case via the grommeted holes in the back? How good would this look?

Or should I just get a larger case, like the NZXT Phantom and wait even longer?

There are few guys on here that have mounted external rads (might be joining that group soon). If you plan everything out ahead of time, you shouldn't have any problems doing it.

The grommeted holes are for WC tubing, but sometimes they aren't big enough. Keep in mind that 3/4" OD tubing is quite thick and may not fit through those holes (it doesn't in my case).
m
l
December 28, 2011 1:49:40 PM

Oh, 'Doh! of course it'll already be blue!!! So that shaves some money off of the cost atleast.

I'm just afraid it might look... jury rigged... You know? I know I'll be able to do it (The radiator is screwed into the 2 140 slots, inside 2x 120 fans) but don't you think it will look bad or something? I don't want to spend a bunch of money, then not like the way it looks...
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 2:03:15 PM

Quote:
I don't want to spend a bunch of money, then not like the way it looks...

This is why you take your time and thoroughly plan out your loop. Be patient and make sure you figure out what you want and need.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:15:50 PM

No, I've taken my time haha.

I'm just saying, that my current case is too small. I'd need to mount the radiator on top of the case (There is a legitimate place I could do this) but I'm afraid it'll look bad... What are your thoughts on that?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 2:19:59 PM

I've had my radiators mounted on the back, top and side of my case. The last time I bothered having rads internally was when I was running an 80mm rad. If you do it right, they look good. Someone on here had some images in their build logs on a top-mounted radiator...I want to say it was Moto...but I don't recall.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 2:47:23 PM

I know Moto has a top mounted external rad, but I thought there were a few others around here...

Take a look in the build logs thread.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 2:51:19 PM

My entire loop is external. :) 
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 3:11:21 PM

I have top mounted radiator.
m
l
December 28, 2011 8:41:13 PM

Can someone show me pictures, please?

:)  Thanks guys.
m
l
December 29, 2011 12:24:30 AM

Gentlemen, please don't take this the wrong way but, in light of what I saw on those cases, I'm afraid this won't be for me. It looks sort of nice, but I'd rather have it all in the system. The Phantom is essentially just a larger version of my case, so I think I'll just purchase that and eventually liquid cool in that.

Only one question, where would I be able to mount a radiator? Would it be possible to do it about the 2x 200mm fans up top?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 12:46:21 AM

You might want to consider an 800D or something similar in size...there are a good number of choices in that range that work well for internal watercooling builds.
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:06:02 AM

While I LOVE corsair cases, that's a little out of my price range :( 

Is there such a thing as a radiator than can hold two 200mm fans?
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:53:00 AM

rubix, thanks so much!

So, I'm gonna post what I want to get (And prices) and tell me if it'll do, thanks :) 
m
l
!