ian8338

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
My current machine is giving a performance index score of 5.9. The graphics score is 7.8 and the PCU and memory score is 7.1. I need to improve the HDD score.
I have two Maxtor SATA drives of 500Gb each divided into two sectors. They both run at 5400 rpm. I assume that 7200 is the way to go but can anyone suggest a fast unit preferably of 1 TB?
Ian

Solution
to be honest you are probably not going to ever see "reasonable capacity", "reasonable cost" on SSD's for a long time as there will always be a reason to upgrade, I remember going to my friend's house when i was younger and saying "Holy crap 400 MB hard drive! you're never going to fill that up!"
90-120 GB is plenty for windows install along with crucial programs +2-4 games, it's all about storage management. I have a SSD + 6TB in storage,, the SSD makes the whole system work quick and when I need the storage it's right there.

that being said,,, WD Black drives will be your best cost/speed for HDD - 640-750 GB models are typically a smidgen faster than the others, but I would say it would be near impossible to tell the difference...

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have a 1Tb HDD running at 7200rpm and I also have a score of 5.9, so you're out of luck there. Secondly the score means nothing. It's a HDD. It's always the slowest part of any computer. You want to see the number higher? Think RAID or SSD. Those are the only thing that will bump your score. If you want a maxed Storage score, RAID a pair of SSDs. Also, your boot up would take like 3 seconds.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
the only way to get into the 7's with WEI is a SSD
that being said, the WEI is not that important to how well your computer will really run, although a SSD makes your computer snappier with faster loading programs and levels, other than that, your grafx card (7.8 would indicate something pretty good), you memory and Cpu would be the main things to worry about for playing games. that score for memory is decent, but i'm guessing its DDR3 running at about 1066 or faster DDR2.

ian8338

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Sorry Had not realised that I had. Won't do it again
Ian

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

I managed to crack a 7.9 on everything but CPU. That's using a 240GB Vertex 3 SSD for the disk 7.9, and a GTX580 for the graphics ones :) Not sure what you need to get a 7.9 on CPU - a core i7 2600 on stock clock ain't enough :(

As you say, though, the WEI isn't really reflective of how "good" the computer is - I treat it as a hint as to what part of the system might be worthy of attention.

ian8338

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I dont want to go down the ssd route yet as the price for a reasonable capacity is still too high. I would be interested to hear who and what are the fastest HDDs. I used to get this sort of information from PC World but have not found a replacement since they closed. Any suggestions?
Ian

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
to be honest you are probably not going to ever see "reasonable capacity", "reasonable cost" on SSD's for a long time as there will always be a reason to upgrade, I remember going to my friend's house when i was younger and saying "Holy crap 400 MB hard drive! you're never going to fill that up!"
90-120 GB is plenty for windows install along with crucial programs +2-4 games, it's all about storage management. I have a SSD + 6TB in storage,, the SSD makes the whole system work quick and when I need the storage it's right there.

that being said,,, WD Black drives will be your best cost/speed for HDD - 640-750 GB models are typically a smidgen faster than the others, but I would say it would be near impossible to tell the difference between the different black models when in use in the real world, so go with whichever one you like.

Solution

ian8338

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Thanks for your advice again. I think I will try a 120 Gb ssd to see how it goes. Any advice on manufacturer? I have OCZ memory annd was impresswed with their service when one failed. My 500Gb HDDs will suffice although 5400 units.
Ian

ian8338

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Have ordered a Vertex 3. Wil llet you know my impressions when it arrives form the USA.
Ian

TRENDING THREADS