Hard disk Makes click sound and gives red light

fawadniazi63

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hey guys i am having a huge problem since 4 years when i bought a core 2 duo system.I bought a 160 gb seagate sata harddrive and it started to make click sounds after 10 months or so and then it crashed.Then i bought a new hard drive and after same period of time it also crached then i changed the PSU and bought 750 gb hard of western digital i thought Seagate might have some problem after 6 months it is having problems.
When i start the computer it takes time some time to boot and give red light for long time
Sometime it also make clicking sounds
Please help me i am really pissed with it i will be thankful to u

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Just so you know, HDD of the sizes: 10-20-40-80 GB were not at all reliable. Those 120-160GB are the first HDD generation that "started" some reliability trend. Still, those tend to fail more than say a 320GB drive which is 2 generations more robust.

Also since Seagate bought Maxtor years ago I found out their HDD are a lot less reliable. On dozens of Seagate HDD I bought since that Maxtor was sold, (Maxtor was super-über-mega-giga-cheap btw), I have had 10 drives that did not work at all the first time I've put it in a computer. For those that worked right away, most are still running today though.

About your 750GB HDD, it was the first generation to use perpendicular magnetic recording, so it's normal that they "may" fail since the technology was not mature at all.

My guess is that you were not lucky at all buying those not mature HDDs. HDD failure can also be related to dying memory or power supply.

You can test your memory using memtest86+ (download the "Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" and burn it on a cd, or download the "Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)" and install it on a floppy/USB stick) then make it boot before the HDD. Let it test at least a cycle (about 30 minutes with a core2duo). If it shows red errors then there is hope. You will need to test them one at a time to find if only one stick is dying.

Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.zip

That is easy and fast to test the memory sticks with this method and you should do it before trying another power supply.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

1: Back up data quickly

2: Run Seagate Seatools diagnostic tests

3: If test pass's which I doubt it will it could be a faulty sata controller on your system board.

4: What kind of PSU do have currently installed?

fawadniazi63

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks everyone prelude i have recently bought a 420 watt thermal master PSU.
And tell me which test to do in seatools ?There are some options..Anyway i did S.M.A.R.T test and it says pass what does it mean

fawadniazi63

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

Howrad i found 5 or 5 errors on disk this is the error
<An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation>what should i do