drake2021

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Recently i have been experincing massive slow down with my internet. I pay for 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload but right now its hardly any better then AOL dial up (no joke) so as you can imagine its rather frustrating :fou: . I would post what i currently get but i can't seem to get speedtest.net to cooperate keeps saying "Latency test returned an error while trying to read the latency file". At first i thought it was my provider charter but i called them and it ended with them telling me it was something on my end. So i started to think of what it could be only two things came to mind either my Ambit Speedstream Cable Modem Model 60678eu modem or my Linksy WRT54G Version 8 wireless router are starting to die on me.
And yes i have reset both many, many times it does no good but to give me a very small burst of download speed for like a minute and a half and then goes back to dial up speed. The linksys router is only just now going on 2 years old but the modem is about 9 or so years old so if either are starting to die my money is on the modem. I wont know until i try a differnt modem but in the mean time i was wondering what you guys thought the problem might be. And if i do need a new modem what you might recommend thanks in advance i greatly appreciate any oppinons or answers. if you need any other type of detailed info let me know and i will try my best to get it

drake2021

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Yes both my laptop and desktop are experincing problems. My desktop is on a wired connection ran through the wireless router and the laptop is on a wireless connection. When i hook the laptop up directly to the modem i notice no improvment in speed.

sturm

Splendid
Take your laptop to a friends house and see what happens on their network. If it works just fine you can rule out the laptop.
I would try a new modem being that it's nine years old. If that doesn't work have the ISP check your signal strength.