The future of computing

whatwoob

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I grew up with PCs. I spent a lot of time upgrading and tweaking, and reading sites like tomshardware. Is the custom built PC in danger? As far as I know, Apple doesn't give you many options when it comes to buying their computers. I also doubt it's possible to make any drastic upgrades, or build a custom machine.
Apple's philosophy seems to be choosing exactly what they think the end user wants.

If Apple manages to establish a monopoly, to me, that spells doom for companies like Dell, HP, IBM, and your average computer store down the street.

It's hard to deny the attention Macs are getting these days.

What do you think's going to happen?
What is the fate of tomshardware?

powerfuel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Apple is really not competitive. You pay for the name not for the beast. Look at this: for US$2.199.00 you have a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Joke), 4GB and NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory (Rahahahaha).
You have to spend for 4 more GB, 1000$.
It's clear that what they sell is overpriced. I'll never buy apple's crap.
This is my opinion.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Apple's business model doesn't target people who want options or flexibility. They are more of a quality control driven company. You know when you buy parts for their systems, they will work. There are people, apparently 5% (thanks OL) that will pay for this security. They also target their products more for commercial graphics and not really home use. Pair the quality assurance with the performance level for graphics rendering, and you have a company that appeals to businesses that have the captial to pay the premium. Might spend more in hardware, but it might be a lot less than the extra IT guy you need to support a component based office like a PC.