Solved

Upgrade processor of Inspiron 6000 (laptop)

So I got a
Pentium M 730 SL86G (C0) 1600 MHz 2 MB 533 MT/s 12x 0.988/1.356 V 10.8-27 W
Off of ebay, shipped for $7. I picked this up because this laptop has the
Celeron M 350 1300 MHz 1024 KiB 400 MT/s 13x 1.26 V 21 W
in it. That's the lowest processor it shipped with. I have done my homework and already know this new chip fits and is compatible with the MoBo.
My question is this, after Install, what do I need to do with the BIOS. I already have it upgraded to the most recent Dell Bios (A09, 9/28/2005). I have read that if I hit alt-f while in the bios setup, it will reset all of the settings, is that all I need to do or do I need to "flash the bios"? I Don't really know what that means. So do I need to reinstall the bios when I upgrade the cpu (with a cd), or should it just boot up and I can enter setup and be able to reset the settings?

I appreciate your help. All I need is this info and some thermal paste, and I'll be good to go.
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade processor inspiron 6000 laptop
  1. Best answer
    You shouldn't need to flash the BIOS if indeed this upgrade is possible. You can go to the bios and choose Reset Default Settings, instead of the alt+f unless you know what that does specifically.

You may need to change the FSB from 100(400) to 133(533).
  2. Finished the install, no problem. before I even entered the bios the motherboard knew it had a pentium M in it and displayed it. I went in the BIOS and it was already all updated and ready to go, nothing to do in there. For laptops that are 3-4 years old and still working great, if you have a low processor, you may look in seeing what is the best chip it can handle and throw that in. The improvements have been marginal, but it was only 7 dollars plus some thermal grease.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Processors