Sign in with
Your question

Overlcock limited by board's ability to supply power?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2011 2:04:38 AM

Hey guys, ive been running my phenom 560 on just two cores @ 3.8ghz for the past while and no crashes ever, even in skyrim for hours at a time. Thats the only game i really play so it works for me.

My main goal was 4ghz on the 2 cores but i could never hit it. Currently i have voltage set at 1.55 and ghz at 3.9 and im stress testing

4ghz at 1.55v causes prime to tell me i have hardware failure.

Now my issue is the board drops to 1.536volts and not the 1.55 i have it set at. IS this significant? Im confident that 4ghz will work if voltage would stay at 1.55ghz.

I cant find a "load line calibration" or "LLC" setting. I have cpu vdda but this setting does nothing so i left it at auto. the min and max value changed nothing as far as voltage drop goes. I have not tried one step higher than 1.55v (1.6?) because i dont think it would be safe.

I just go a new power supply too. Its an ocz 750W. Im going from a 530 raidmax.. yet the oc still acts the same so i dont think im out of power. MY ram is some ripjaw ddr3 at 1.5v and stock speeds. Im only overclocking with the multiplier

and this would help, board is an asus m4n75td. MY temps at full load are 40c after about 10min of stressing. The cooler is an oem phenom am2 cooler along with the fan going full blast.

so anyways, does the motherboard just not want to supply this much voltage to the cpu?
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 4:19:55 AM

firefoxx04 said:

Now my issue is the board drops to 1.536volts and not the 1.55 i have it set at. IS this significant? Im confident that 4ghz will work if voltage would stay at 1.55ghz.

That is called "vdroop" (not a mispelling :) ). It's normal. Purpose is to keep the CPU supply voltage for bouncing above the set value if the CPU load changes suddenly.

You can see if your CPU will run at 4.0 GHz by temporarily setting the supply voltage to something like 1.57 volts to compensate for the droop.
December 28, 2011 4:42:47 AM

I have a similar board on a system at my office and actually have an extra fan twist-tied on to the voltage regulators next to the CPU. After doing this, my stability increased on my overclocked Phenom and Prime95 never gave me the errors. Before that the system would auto down clock even though the processor wasn't even warm. Just my experience.

P.S. the VRM's are to the left of the CPU on that board.
!