Sign in with
Your question

Methods to calculate power consumption of multi core processor

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2009 4:50:09 PM

Hi.. iam looking for a method or device or software which can calculate the power consumption of a multicore processor... and if a device or software exists.. how much would it cost me.... please do reply as soon as possible..
thank you ...
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:19:04 PM

There not really a device or software program that can measure power consumption to a single item (like a cpu) for the general market that im aware of. There is however a way to see your overall system power consumption called a "kill a watt"

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricit...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 5:51:37 PM

vamshi999 said:
i found this link http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-s... .... i need something like this.. please correct me if i am wrong... whether i am looking at the right one or nor..

Well first i have heard of a program that can measure power consumption to a single item. although the web site that they lead you to that has the program is in a language i cant read.... So i cant say how well it works.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:12:22 PM

warmon6 said:
Well first i have heard of a program that can measure power consumption to a single item.

I also would like to know how it works. As far as I know, there are no sensors that such a utility could monitor to calculate power consumption.

I use a clamp-on ammeter to measure the current flowing through the yellow wires (12 volt) in the CPU power cable. Times 12 volts gives me watts into the motherboard power regulator.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 6:30:28 PM

I usually just read the spec sheet for the particular processor, and pretty much just go with that. :) 
m
l
December 15, 2009 4:47:11 AM

it seems there are some specific methods to calculate the power consumed by a multiprocessor..... the power consumption varies with the execution of same program in different ways...
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
December 15, 2009 1:45:30 PM

Or I just estimate 10 amps (120 watts) for an OC'd quad core CPU.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:45:29 PM

jsc said:
Or I just estimate 10 amps (120 watts) for an OC'd quad core CPU.

can you explain me ...how to do that ?
m
l
!