Sign in with
Your question

Dell vostro 220s psu upgrade

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2009 5:20:11 PM

I've been trying to search for an upgrade to the psu of a Dell Vostro 220s. I haven't been able to find any at all. I'm looking for a psu between 400w and 500w. Does anyone know where I can look and shop around? To me, it looks like there really aren't any upgrades for slim cases. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 5:35:41 PM

Wattage is not the best way to measure power supplies--they do not indicate the quality of the unit. A good quality 400w PSU will be able to handle vastly more current than a low quality 600w model.

The best PSU brands are Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and Antec.

{my faulty recommendation is removed. --its not an ATX PSU}
m
l
December 14, 2009 5:45:09 PM

Thanks for the response and info deadlockedworld. It's actually my girlfriends computer and I was looking to get her an upgraded graphics card for Christmas. The recommended psu wattage is between 400 and 500 for the gpu. The stock psu in the Dell Vostro 220s is only 250w. I've read a few reviews and saw that some people are actually running the gpu on a 220w psu. I'd rather not take the chance and upgrade the psu to the recommended specs, as long as it doesn't empty out my pockets.

The gpu i'm looking to get her is a SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Video Card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 5:46:06 PM

Fail me-- I think it is actually an SFX slim power supply. there are only like 2 on newegg.. and I cant tell if they are the size you need. I'm deleting the parts of my answer that are not relevant. This is why slimline is always a bad idea lol.

A 4650 has very low power requirements, and probably could run on that 250w. They say 400w to cover their asses in case you decide to run like a dozen other things at the same time, and since many people will use the cheapest brand possible--it actually requires less than that ...but I certainly understand your concern. I would want to upgrade it too.
m
l
December 14, 2009 7:20:41 PM

Thanks again deadlockedworld! This really helped. I think I'm going to buy the gpu and give it a shot. I hope nothing breaks...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 7:38:22 PM

Just make sure its low profile--and if you find one with DDR3 it will be a a tiny bit faster than a DDR2 version. The one you picked is pretty good though.
m
l
!