8400 GS pci card is causing 100% cpu utilization when I play HD video

negi1588

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I just upgraded my 7-year old 2.7 GHz Presario with a Sparkle 8400 GS pci card which is supposed to be HDCP compliant - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187042
After installing the latest drivers from the nvidia website, I attempted to play HD video. The video did play, but in slow-mo. I did some online research and found out that nvidia's "Purevideo HD" was not compatible with XP. Is this in fact true? Does anyone know of a workaround?

Run it through media center, it shouldnt have any issues. Try to avoid using third party software when possible, they tend to interact and cause fun issues. Your issue with slow-mo is likely your GPU not assisting with the video decoding, certain formats are harsher than others on the CPU and an old P4 would not be able to decode some of them well, i know my 2.26GHz P4 always struggled with 720P, i would imagine 1080P would grind an old P4 to a stand still.

negi1588

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
hey, thanks for the quick response. only problem is i have XP home edition. i did try running it on media player and noticed the same issue. does this mean that no matter which pci-based GPU i have, i'm still going to have the same problem just because i have XP home edition?

I doubt its XP's fault, your CPU likely isnt powerful enough to handle the decoding, if the 8400GS does not support hardware accelerated decoding then you will have a hell of a time playing 1080P movies.