Best Processor of the Year

G

hey guys, what do you all think is the best processor of the year as far a price to performance and all around. My two would be p2 x4 955 or i7 920.

hey guys, what do you all think is the best processor of the year as far a price to performance and all around. My two would be p2 x4 955 or i7 920.

Agree. it does depend on what you use it for.

As for the best possessor of the year.. Do you mean what was release this year or the best cpu that currently made that people can afford?

For best price to performance ratio: Athlon II x4 620

For the best all around CPU currently made: Core i7 920

For the best cpu made this year for a good price: core i5 and phenom ii x4 965

It really comes down to what your meaning by best cpu of the year, the use for the cpu, and personal option.

AMW1011

Distinguished
I'm going to say that these are my selections:

Budget gamer: AMD Phenom II x3 720
Budget gamer/prof: AMD Athlon II X4 620

Gamer: Phenom II X4 955
Gamer/prof/high end gamer: Core i5 750

Prof: Intel Xeon X3440

High end game/high end prof: Core i7 920

In summery, my favorites would be the Phenom II X3 720 and the Core i5 750.

G

good point the i7 920 and i7 860 cost about the same as a processor, but the i7 platform probably costs 200+$ more.

G

the i7 920 with triple channel memory and expensive mobos cost more than the p55

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I agree with your choices. So I second your choices.

G

thats what is was saying i7 920 cost more than p55 therefore x58 cost more than p55

loneninja

Distinguished
I vote Athlon II X4 620 for truely bringing good quad core performance to mainstream prices. For a little higher price, the Phenom II X4 940/955 are great as well, both had good overclocking potential for a cheap price. The I5 is another great choice as well if you bump up your price, than finally the I7 920 if you can make use of hyperthreading.