EliteViking

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello, I just got a new SSD and I want to use it as my boot drive and for applications that require speed like firefox. I set it up exactly how I wanted but now I can't open applications on my old hard drive. If anyone could give me some help on getting these programs to run on the hard drove while using the SSD as a not drive that would be awesome! Thank you.

Solution
How did you set up the SSD? Did you install a fresh copy of the operating system? If you did, then the applications are not installed on the operating system that you are running.

You will need to reinstall the applications under the new operating system. You will need to specify an installation directory other than C:, so the application doesn't install on the SSD (you don't want to fill up your SSD with them).

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
How did you set up the SSD? Did you install a fresh copy of the operating system? If you did, then the applications are not installed on the operating system that you are running.

You will need to reinstall the applications under the new operating system. You will need to specify an installation directory other than C:, so the application doesn't install on the SSD (you don't want to fill up your SSD with them).

Solution

EliteViking

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thank you so much for the response and yes it was a fresh install of windows 7. Does anyone know of a way to just clone the OS because if possible I really don't want to have to reinstall everything. Thank you!

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, you can clone the old operating system, but that would also clone everything you had on the old operating system drive (all the installed software, etc). That means the SSD would have to be as big as the old drive, and I suspect it isn't.

You can't clone bits of the operating system volume (well, you can't if you expect it to work).

A fresh install every so often is a good thing - it gets rid of accumulated cruft. The system runs faster because the freshly installed software is laid down on the drive in unfragmented space.

I know it can be a pain to reinstall everything (especially locating all the old install discs), but use it as a chance to be selective - do you need everything you used to have installed?

EliteViking

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for all the help. A fresh install of everything is nice. It's summer luckily so I have plenty of time :). I'll just make a new partition on the hdd and install on there.