Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 OCZ agility 3 Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2011 2:50:36 AM

hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 300gb velociraptor to 2x OCZ agility 3s in RAID0.

Now, the problem that I face is that my current mobo (EVGA x58 classified) only has SATAII ports (3gb/s) and the two SSDs are designed for SATAIII (6gb/s). I have purchased a PCI express SataIII card which uses a PCI-Express 2.0 slot, I have been wondering whether I would be better of plugging them straight into the RAID controller on my mobo (SATAII) or whether I should use the PCI card?

Will I lose any speed using the card? and if so will I lose more using the SATAII ports on my mobo?

Thanks guys

hazar

More about : ocz agility raid

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 30, 2011 6:02:03 AM

No, you won't lose speed using the card - the on-board SATA ports aren't faster than PCIe. You do need SATA III to see the full speed of the drives; SATA II will slow them down.

Why do you feel you have to use RAID 0? There seems to be some obsession on here to use RAID 0. It is NOT a good idea, especially for longer term storage (RAID 0 for a staging drive, where the data will be held briefly while being processed, that makes sense). It guarantees that you lose all your data in the case of a single drive failure, and by using two drives, you double the chance of drive failure. Plus it means that you lose TRIM support.

Why not just use the drives separately? They are remarkably fast drives, and you'll see how much faster they are than a velociraptor, even when you run them separately.
July 30, 2011 7:49:00 AM

hey CompulsiveBuilder, thanks for the response. its good to know that I won't be losing speed

now, to explain my choice: I am doing this as more of a novelty than anything else as I got the drives for free from work, the only thing that will be on those drives is ubuntu and win7, and this will basically never change, I keep a backup on an external disk of a clean install. All my programs are going to be installed on the veloicraptor which I am pairing up with another velociraptor in RAID1 from my mobos internal RAID controller and for my normal storage (movies/music etc) I have all of that on seperate 2TB drives, and this is all backed up to another server on my network, so basically all good on the redundancy front :) 
Related resources
July 30, 2011 7:51:37 AM

Best answer selected by hazar3000.
a b G Storage
July 30, 2011 3:38:22 PM

hazar3000 said:
hey CompulsiveBuilder, thanks for the response. its good to know that I won't be losing speed

now, to explain my choice: I am doing this as more of a novelty than anything else as I got the drives for free from work, the only thing that will be on those drives is ubuntu and win7, and this will basically never change, I keep a backup on an external disk of a clean install. All my programs are going to be installed on the veloicraptor which I am pairing up with another velociraptor in RAID1 from my mobos internal RAID controller and for my normal storage (movies/music etc) I have all of that on seperate 2TB drives, and this is all backed up to another server on my network, so basically all good on the redundancy front :) 

Sounds like you are thoroughly covered for backup. Keeping an image of the installed sysem is smart - means you can recreate it on a new drive or drives if you have a failure. Wish more people were as well-prepared as you are :) 
!