Sign in with
Your question

4890 review hdmi 1.3a dts-HD possible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2009 12:18:33 PM

Hi all, I have a Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X graphics card. Is it possible to play DTS-HD Master Audio to my receiver. My receiver is capable of doing this format. What about my graphic card? I can't get this to work..

More about : 4890 review hdmi dts

October 11, 2009 2:26:49 PM

ivolver said:
Hi all, I have a Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X graphics card. Is it possible to play DTS-HD Master Audio to my receiver. My receiver is capable of doing this format. What about my graphic card? I can't get this to work..

Im not sure about DTS-HD support for the your Sapphire 4890 video card and to some other 4890's
manufactured by different companies coz most of them only supports DTS which enables a plug-and-play
audio solution over HDMI. It may require (not sure) an audio decoding application to convert the DTS stream
to DTS-HD in real time then transport it to an AV receivers in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channels at full uncompressed quality
which i think in one of three ways depending on receiver support.
If that's possible, well, your PC would be an instant awesome theater system and capable of
delivering very rich, super crisp and super crystal clear audio that can only be hear when
you buy those very expensive hi-fi audio/video systems. All you gotta do is buy a nice
5.1 or 7.1 good speaker system and jack it to the AV receiver and with your hd lcd monitor and blue ray reader,
tadaaaa!... you're now on HI-FI baby! :bounce: 

-- If its really possible to convert DTS stream in DTS-HD in real time, i dunno how taxing would that
be to the GPU of your video card and i dunno if it can stream both HD video and DTS-HD simultaneously
(but if its DTS, yes) if not, then it will go through the process of converting the DTS to DTS-HD
through a decoding software then stream it to the AV receiver in real time. IMO, its senseless since DTS is DTS
and if you convert its stream to DTS-HD which is an extension of DTS, then still you'll only get DTS stream. :??: 
Im not sure dude, but i hope this would give you an idea.
October 11, 2009 4:08:19 PM

Thanks 'dude'! ;) 

That's a nice reply! Well.. I've got a High-end hifi setup with high-end speakers.

What I didn't mentioned is my systems specs..:

Mobo: MSI 790FX GD70

It's hard to tell but all I get out of a movie qua sound is DD Digital (dolby), instead of DTS. Nor can I play DTS audio files. Tried with WMP12, Powerdvd 9 Ultra and WMP classic. SO I think it has something to do with drivers for the ati hdmi interface.

Tried many but no luck still on DTS, not even DTS normally ..
!