Can I use PC Speakers & HDMI at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I have searched the internet for this question & I'm getting different answers. I have an ATI 4870 g-card & a 32" LG TV (using it as a monitor) connected with a HDMI cable & then I have 2.1 speakers connected to the onboard audio. My question is can I play audio on both (2.1 PC speakers & TV onboard speakers) at the same time?

Thanks

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
im wondering the same thing, i have an Ati hd 4950 which plays video and audio through my LCD hp monitor, can only select either the onboard audio speakers or my monitors speakers one at the time, would love to have both working at the same time, lemme know if u dig out some info :)

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

So far no luck, let me as well if you find how to do it.

SimonBelmont

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I also have ATI video card with HDMI output and tried everything i could to output sound to both PC speakers and TV with HDMI simultaneously, i spent nights doing research online i found some guys method of using "stereo mix" in recordings settings, but my sound card didn't have the option to "listen" to another device, so what worked for me was this method: (please bare in mind it did cost around $6.00) but well worth it!

Items required:
1) 3.5mm splitter (you can find one on ebay for about $2.00)
2) 12ft 3.5mm m-m (depending on how far your computer is from your tv - the cable was $4.00)

Once you obtain these items, connect the 3.5mm splitter to the back of your PC (green jack), then connect your pc speakers to one end of the splitter and then male-to-male extension cable to the other end of the splitter, connect the other end this m-m cable to your TV.
Go to your control panel, system, device manager and inside "Sound, Video Game Controllers" Disable your ATI HDMI audio output, this will trick your tv into thinking that you don't have sound on your HDMI cable and will let you use the 3.5mm phone jack to output audio instead.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Windows 7 won't output to two devices simultaneously. Microsoft's engineers this time around were focusing on sound quality first with their sound API and this was one of the compromises.

By the way, do you like the sound of echoing? Seems like thats all you would achieve with two speaker sets that aren't synced up.

Status
Not open for further replies.