New gaming PC

Hello I am new to building pc's and would like your help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:Within this month.

BUDGET RANGE: 1500-1800 USD.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:High end gaming (crysis,far cry 2, COD4 etc...)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com and tigerdirect.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an nvidea graphics card and an intel cpu.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes a little.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently at 1440x900 but would like to get a bigger monitor soon.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a full tower case.

Here is what i have come up with so far. Is that a good Motherboard?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE BETTER PARTS I SHOULD USE, IF EVERYTHING IS COMPATIBLE, AND IF IM MISSING ANYTHING.

CASE – HAF 932 - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=HAF_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product

MOTHERBOARD – EVGA X58 3 way SLI - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039&cm_re=EVGA_X58_3_way_SLI-_-13-188-039-_-Product

GRAPHICS CARD – EVGA GTX 275 - $230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475&cm_re=EVGA_GTX_275-_-14-130-475-_-Product

PSU – Corsair TX850W - $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=Corsair%20TX850W

CPU – Intel Core i7 920 - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=Intel_Core_i7_920-_-19-115-202-_-Product

RAM – CORSAIR XMS3 6gb - $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236

HDD – WD Caviar Black 1TB - $95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284&Tpk=WD%20Caviar%20Black%201TB

CPU COOLER - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=RR-B10-212P-GP

DVD BURNER - HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 12X - $34
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140041


TOTAL- $1339

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. bump...
  2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 $99.99 Free Shipping*
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009 $139.99 ($119.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card) Free Shipping*
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163 $169.99
    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250777 Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $399.98 $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Card Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $389.98 Free Shipping*
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.248853 Combo Discount: -$4.00 Combo Price: $39.98
    Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443 $379.99
    XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106332 $33.99 Free Shipping*
    LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD/CD Writer LightScribe Support - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $79.99 Free Shipping*
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    Total: $1,343.90 *not including mail in rebates, shipping, and tax

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 $214.99
    ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - Retail
    With HDCP support

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html <--- benchmarks and review of that 5870 gpu

    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf922/ <--- more pics, specs, professional reviews of that case here

    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=scythe+mugen+2+review&aq=0p&oq=sc&aqi=g-p3g7 <--- Scythe MUGEN 2 cpu cooler reviews

    ASRock X58 Extreme Reviews

    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1923_1.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-x58-motherboard,2368-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-extreme.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3593
  3. Is the evga motherboard i chose no good?
  4. Ammonoth said:
    Is the evga motherboard i chose no good?


    It's a great board, but expensive. If you take a look at the build I posted, you get a great gaming rig along with one of those new DX11 supported ATI 5870's and cash left over to purchas that monitor I linked below the build. Get the most out of your money is the way I see it.
  5. Why_Me said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 $99.99 Free Shipping*
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009 $139.99 ($119.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card) Free Shipping*
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163 $169.99
    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250777 Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $399.98 $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Card Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $389.98 Free Shipping*
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.248853 Combo Discount: -$4.00 Combo Price: $39.98
    Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443 $379.99
    XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106332 $33.99 Free Shipping*
    LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD/CD Writer LightScribe Support - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $79.99 Free Shipping*
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    Total: $1,343.90 *not including mail in rebates, shipping, and tax

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 $214.99
    ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - Retail
    With HDCP support

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html <--- benchmarks and review of that 5870 gpu

    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf922/ <--- more pics, specs, professional reviews of that case here

    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=scythe+mugen+2+review&aq=0p&oq=sc&aqi=g-p3g7 <--- Scythe MUGEN 2 cpu cooler reviews

    ASRock X58 Extreme Reviews

    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1923_1.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-x58-motherboard,2368-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-extreme.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3593


    +1 this build is really great and that monitor rocks :D,i would ditch the lite-on Burner for a nice Samsung but this is only a personal preference

    Edit:if you are an Extreme overclocker i would get a Thermalright Extreme 1366 Rt cooler with a couple on noctuca's 1200RPM fans,also i would get the HAF 932 because it fits within your budget and may be get a SSD
  6. But the ATI 5870's are very expensive. I would rather wait to get a DX11 supported card until nvidea releases theres.
  7. Ammonoth said:
    But the ATI 5870's are very expensive. I would rather wait to get a DX11 supported card until nvidea releases theres.


    but the 5870 will last you for a long time even if nvidia's are better anyway if you really insists on this then i would get a 4890 1 GB because it is better than the gtx 275 and also cheaper
  8. Ammonoth said:
    But the ATI 5870's are very expensive. I would rather wait to get a DX11 supported card until nvidea releases theres.


    If that's the case, then at least get a cheaper vid card and save some money. No reason to spend premium on a DX10 vid card when Nvidea's DX11 line up is due out by mid December.

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=EV-GTX275 $229.99 | $214.99 $15 off with code SUPERSTEAL15, ends 9/27 | $199.99 after rebate Free Ground Shipping
    EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 275 896MB DDR3 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card
  9. Ive always used nvidia cards so i have no experience with ati cards.
    Which card out of the nvidia lineup would you suggest getting?
    and which card out of the ati lineup would give me the most bang for buck until more dx11 cards come out?

    Thank you both for your help so far.
  10. ^nvidia:the best would be why_me suggestion as for Ati get a 4890 1GB they are both the same in performance
  11. computersss said:
    ^nvidia:the best would be why_me suggestion as for Ati get a 4890 1GB they are both the same in performance


    So the GTX 275 and the ati 4890 are the same in performance?
  12. if theres a card that you shouldnt get then its the GTS 250, its a renamed 9800GTX+
  13. shozzking said:
    if theres a card that you shouldnt get then its the GTS 250, its a renamed 9800GTX+


    It is...and it isn't. It runs cooler than the 9800gtx+. it produces less heat than the 9800gtx+, it uses less power than the 9800gtx+, it's on a smaller die sans the reason it's shorter, and it scales better than the 9800gtx+ in newer games. It uses one PCI-E connector vs two for the 9800gtx+. A remake of the G92....yes it is. Better than the older 9800gtx+...yes it is.
  14. Ammonoth said:
    So the GTX 275 and the ati 4890 are the same in performance?


    yea in games there is about 1 or 2 FPS difference between them
  15. Ammonoth said:
    So the GTX 275 and the ati 4890 are the same in performance?


    They run neck and neck for the most part. The thing with the 4890 is that it produces a lot more heat and that in turn ups your temps in your case and that in turn hurts your o/c.
  16. Why_Me said:
    They run neck and neck for the most part. The thing with the 4890 is that it produces a lot more heat and that in turn ups your temps in your case and that in turn hurts your o/c.


    yea but some 4890's versions have good cooling but frankly the gtx 275 deal you posted can't be beaten for the price
  17. What about a gtx 260 core 216? How does that compare with the gtx 275.
    I would really like to stay with nvidia...
  18. Ammonoth said:
    What about a gtx 260 core 216? How does that compare with the gtx 275.
    I would really like to stay with nvidia...


    If you look about ten post above this one you will see where I just posted a $200 EVGA gtx 275 w/free shipping. That deal runs out after tomorrow. If I were you I would be jumping all over that like ASAP.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266.html <--- gtx 275 benchmarks and review...gtx 260 benches are in that review also.
  19. Ammonoth said:
    What about a gtx 260 core 216? How does that compare with the gtx 275.
    I would really like to stay with nvidia...


    here is a link so you can figure it all it is a comparison between the gtx 260,gtx 275 and 4890 with other GPUs http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=17
  20. Why_Me said:
    If you look about ten post above this one you will see where I just posted a $200 EVGA gtx 275 w/free shipping. That deal runs out after tomorrow. If I were you I would be jumping all over that like ASAP.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266.html <--- gtx 275 benchmarks and review...gtx 260 benches are in that review also.


    +1 that card is for 50$ more on newegg
  21. Thank you all very much. I think ill go with the gtx 275.
    Now i just have to decide what motherboard to get...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product