Nightlife @ Fry's Electronics

For those of us lucky enough to have a local Fry's Electronics store
their Friday 4 page ad had Nightlife as available after 4PM on the
15th at a price of $24.99. Now to wait and see what all the other
retailers have in their Sunday ads.

me/2
50 answers Last reply
More about nightlife electronics

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:24:31 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    :>
    :>For those of us lucky enough to have a local Fry's Electronics store
    :>their Friday 4 page ad had Nightlife as available after 4PM on the
    :>15th at a price of $24.99. Now to wait and see what all the other
    :>retailers have in their Sunday ads.
    :>
    :>me/2

    A followup after the Sunday ads showed up.

    Circuit City - No mention in their store ad. $39.99 on the web.
    Shipping on the 13th for web orders.

    Best Buy - $34.99 in their store ad with a free audio cd (up to
    $14.99). Available in store on the 15th. Shipping on the 14th for
    web orders at the same price and free audio cd offer.

    CompUSA - $29.99 in their store ad. Available in store on the 14th.
    Shipping on the 14th for web orders at the same price.

    So as of now it looks like it's off to Fry's Electronics after work on
    Thursday to get it there.

    Then again, CompUSA is close enough to work I can easily run over
    there on my lunch break. Fry's Electronics adds at least 10 miles to
    my drive home in the wrong direction during rush hour. That $5.00
    price difference doesn't seem so great when I look at it that way. :-)

    Decisions! Decisions!

    me/2

    "me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:24:31 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > :>
    > :>For those of us lucky enough to have a local Fry's Electronics store
    > :>their Friday 4 page ad had Nightlife as available after 4PM on the
    > :>15th at a price of $24.99. Now to wait and see what all the other
    > :>retailers have in their Sunday ads.
    > :>
    > :>me/2
    >
    > A followup after the Sunday ads showed up.
    >
    > Circuit City - No mention in their store ad. $39.99 on the web.
    > Shipping on the 13th for web orders.
    >
    > Best Buy - $34.99 in their store ad with a free audio cd (up to
    > $14.99). Available in store on the 15th. Shipping on the 14th for
    > web orders at the same price and free audio cd offer.
    >
    > CompUSA - $29.99 in their store ad. Available in store on the 14th.
    > Shipping on the 14th for web orders at the same price.
    >
    > So as of now it looks like it's off to Fry's Electronics after work on
    > Thursday to get it there.
    >
    > Then again, CompUSA is close enough to work I can easily run over
    > there on my lunch break. Fry's Electronics adds at least 10 miles to
    > my drive home in the wrong direction during rush hour. That $5.00
    > price difference doesn't seem so great when I look at it that way. :-)
    >
    > Decisions! Decisions!
    >
    > me/2

    Also, the current price of fuel actually can make the difference, depending
    on how far you go and what your mpgs are.

    Kelly-wondering what Costco's price will be.

    Ok, working this out as I go.

    Petrol in Adelaide recently reached heights of $A1.39 a litre. Times 4
    for a gallon and we get $A5.56 a gallon.

    www.xe.com translates that into
    5.56 AUD = 4.30633 USD

    (a large % of that is the fuel excise, not to mention the FRAGGING GST
    on top of that. A tax on a tax, oh joy!)

    ~*~
    vecki

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:50:26 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Also, the current price of fuel actually can make the difference, depending
    >on how far you go and what your mpgs are.
    >
    >Kelly-wondering what Costco's price will be.

    I just have to stop you right there... LOL. The price per gallon in
    the US just topped like 3 dollars right? WOW! The price per gallon
    here in norway, which is the world's second largest exporter of oil
    and gas, is 8.35$ :-)

    Of course, 90% of that is taxes hehe
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:50:26 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    > <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Also, the current price of fuel actually can make the difference,
    depending
    > >on how far you go and what your mpgs are.
    > >
    > >Kelly-wondering what Costco's price will be.
    >
    > I just have to stop you right there... LOL. The price per gallon in
    > the US just topped like 3 dollars right? WOW! The price per gallon
    > here in norway, which is the world's second largest exporter of oil
    > and gas, is 8.35$ :-)
    >
    > Of course, 90% of that is taxes hehe
    > --

    So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    $8/gallon for gas.:(

    Kelly

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:09:07 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:

    :>
    :>"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    :>news:e8v8i11osqep6r9tihbmt61825ilbp7qa2@4ax.com...
    :>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:50:26 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    :>> <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    :>>
    :>> >Also, the current price of fuel actually can make the difference,
    :>depending
    :>> >on how far you go and what your mpgs are.
    :>> >
    :>> >Kelly-wondering what Costco's price will be.
    :>>
    :>> I just have to stop you right there... LOL. The price per gallon in
    :>> the US just topped like 3 dollars right? WOW! The price per gallon
    :>> here in norway, which is the world's second largest exporter of oil
    :>> and gas, is 8.35$ :-)
    :>>
    :>> Of course, 90% of that is taxes hehe
    :>> --
    :>>
    :>So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    :>price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    :>up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    :>$8/gallon for gas.:(
    :>
    :>Kelly
    :>

    Wow, I'd like to live where you are. My last fillup cost me $3.29 a
    gallon in the Phoenix, AZ area. As of a few days ago we had the
    highest price gas of any major city in the Western US, even higher
    than the major cities in California.

    The price at the time I filled up was $3.09/$3.19/$3.29 per gallon for
    87/89/91 octane gas. Unfortunately my car (an '04 Ford SVT Focus)
    requires a minimum of 91 octane. Fortunately I get 26-28 MPG stop and
    go around town running the AC and 28-30 MPG around town when it cools
    off and I don't need the AC. Low to mid 30's on the highway depending
    on speed and use of AC. Not too bad for a "performance car". :-)

    me/2

    <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:

    >So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    >price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    >up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    >$8/gallon for gas.:(

    Which is funny, because obviously most americans can afford it. You
    have the same per capita GDP as us. Our government has this theory
    that pollution and CO2 is bad. But why we should have 8$ gas when
    we're the second largest exporter and the United States contributes
    like 25%+ of the world's CO2 I don't really know :-) But it sure makes
    for some nice profits for the government.
    --

    On 11 Sep 2005 18:34:18 -0700, "vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >(a large % of that is the fuel excise, not to mention the FRAGGING GST
    >on top of that. A tax on a tax, oh joy!)

    LOL we have that too.
    --

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:44 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Wow, I'd like to live where you are. My last fillup cost me $3.29 a
    >gallon in the Phoenix, AZ area. As of a few days ago we had the
    >highest price gas of any major city in the Western US, even higher
    >than the major cities in California.

    Just for 6-10$ per fillup, you'd really move to another part of the
    country? :-) I hope it was a figure of speech hehe
    --

    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:09:07 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    > <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    >>price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    >>up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    >>$8/gallon for gas.:(
    >
    > Which is funny, because obviously most americans can afford it. You
    > have the same per capita GDP as us. Our government has this theory
    > that pollution and CO2 is bad. But why we should have 8$ gas when
    > we're the second largest exporter and the United States contributes
    > like 25%+ of the world's CO2 I don't really know :-) But it sure makes
    > for some nice profits for the government.
    > --
    >

    > Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    > your neighbourhood could be next!

    A lot of it is scale. You could mislay most European countries in some of
    our larger states and Americans tend to live much farther away from their
    workplaces than Europeans do. An hour commute by car is not considered
    particularly demanding in most of the areas that I have lived. Plus there
    are big differences in cultural attitudes about time and movement.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:09:07 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    > <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    >>price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    >>up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    >>$8/gallon for gas.:(
    >

    > Which is funny, because obviously most americans can afford it.

    Boy, you couldn't be more wrong. "Most" Americans who don't live in
    urban areas earn about $8 to $10 dollars an hour for a 40 hour week.
    "Most" Americans have to drive at least 15 miles to get to work.
    There's never enough money and with gas at the prices it is now, some of
    the people I know are seriously considering quitting their jobs. They
    are going into the hole further every week. May as well be on welfare.

    Jeanie

    Jeanie wrote:

    > Your government provides a lot more services than the US government,
    > though. We have to pay for medical care, prescription meds, and
    > tests. My husband went in for a stress test on his heart and it
    > cost
    > us over $800 AFTER our insurance paid their part. And our insurance
    > costs a couple of hundred dollars a month, too. :-)

    I SO wouldn't want to live there. Is your husband okay?

    T.

    Taemon wrote:
    > Jeanie wrote:
    >

    >>Your government provides a lot more services than the US government,
    >>though. We have to pay for medical care, prescription meds, and
    >> tests. My husband went in for a stress test on his heart and it
    >>cost
    >>us over $800 AFTER our insurance paid their part. And our insurance
    >>costs a couple of hundred dollars a month, too. :-)
    >

    > I SO wouldn't want to live there. Is your husband okay?
    >
    > T.

    Yes, he's fine, as long as he takes his meds. He has pulmonary
    hypertension and a bad family history of early sudden death (which is
    what finally prompted him to get his butt to the doctor after his
    brother died in April) but we are hopeful that the meds will help. His
    cholesterol was high, too, but diet and meds are helping that, too. Of
    course, those meds cost a couple of hundred dollars a month (for our
    co-pay -- the insurance pays 75%), but when you have to, you find the
    money in your budget somehow.

    Jeanie

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:57:38 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Your government provides a lot more services than the US government,
    >though. We have to pay for medical care, prescription meds, and tests.
    > My husband went in for a stress test on his heart and it cost us over
    >$800 AFTER our insurance paid their part. And our insurance costs a
    >couple of hundred dollars a month, too. :-)

    Happy Homemaker has educated me in her fight with the various systems
    in the US, and I must say, the United States is no place to get
    sick... UNLESS of course, you have plenty of dough lying around... :-(
    --

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:57:38 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Your government provides a lot more services than the US government,
    > >though. We have to pay for medical care, prescription meds, and tests.
    > > My husband went in for a stress test on his heart and it cost us over
    > >$800 AFTER our insurance paid their part. And our insurance costs a
    > >couple of hundred dollars a month, too. :-)
    >
    > Happy Homemaker has educated me in her fight with the various systems
    > in the US, and I must say, the United States is no place to get
    > sick... UNLESS of course, you have plenty of dough lying around... :-(
    > --

    Righto, and I don't have a lot of dough lying around, so an increase of .50
    a gallon in just a year hurts the budget. My husband has excellent health
    insurance, but my daughter and I both have chronic health issues and they
    get very expensive.

    We do have excellent doctors, because we don't have to contend with the
    HMOs, and I am grateful for that. Sometimes I wish we had socialized
    medicine, but I like being able to choose my doctor and I like not waiting
    several months to see him.

    Kelly

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:54:24 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Boy, you couldn't be more wrong. "Most" Americans who don't live in
    >urban areas earn about $8 to $10 dollars an hour for a 40 hour week.
    >"Most" Americans have to drive at least 15 miles to get to work.

    So the distribution of income is less than stellar? You'll have to
    drive a lot to be bothered by 3$ gas, even if you dont make much an
    hour, don't you?

    >There's never enough money and with gas at the prices it is now, some of
    >the people I know are seriously considering quitting their jobs. They
    >are going into the hole further every week. May as well be on welfare.

    That's terrible... I find it odd that we are almost comfy with 8$ a
    gallon. While we do have decent public transportation, a lot of people
    still choose to drive. Our minimum wage is (was?) 11$ now 12$ I
    believe.
    --

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:54:24 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Boy, you couldn't be more wrong. "Most" Americans who don't live in
    >>urban areas earn about $8 to $10 dollars an hour for a 40 hour week.
    >>"Most" Americans have to drive at least 15 miles to get to work.
    >

    > So the distribution of income is less than stellar? You'll have to
    > drive a lot to be bothered by 3$ gas, even if you dont make much an
    > hour, don't you?

    Well, one of my daughters lives here at home with us and attends college
    25 miles away. She also has a job that is 10 miles in the other
    direction. She earns $6.10 an hour and has a small car. It costs her
    about $75 a week now for gasoline to get to school and work every day.
    By the time she pays her car insurance and part of the payment (we pick
    up the rest) she barely has enough money to buy a coke every week. It's
    not hard to "drive a lot" when you live in a rural area. There are NO
    forms of public transportation here. No buses (except school buses(, no
    trains, no taxicabs. You either walk or drive or get a ride with somebody.

    >>There's never enough money and with gas at the prices it is now, some of
    >>the people I know are seriously considering quitting their jobs. They
    >>are going into the hole further every week. May as well be on welfare.
    >

    > That's terrible... I find it odd that we are almost comfy with 8$ a
    > gallon. While we do have decent public transportation, a lot of people
    > still choose to drive. Our minimum wage is (was?) 11$ now 12$ I
    > believe.

    Huh. Minimum wage here in the States is $5.15 an hour. Our state
    raised the state minimum wage to $6.00 this year, but there is a
    loophole so that anybody who works in food service (i.e. waiting or
    busing tables) or who works in "agriculture" only makes $3.01 an hour.
    My daughter bags groceries at Krogers and earns $6.15 an hour, plus an
    occasional tip. She works 30 hours a week on a good week, 20 hours a
    week sometimes. That's why she's going to school, so she can get a
    better job. There used to be 15 factories in our area. Now there are
    only four and two of them are over 60 miles away. Other than that, the
    only unskilled jobs available are in retail or food service. So she is
    in nursing school. That's the only kind of jobs around here that pay
    anything.

    BTW, her father works as a federal mine safety inspector and has a 280
    mile commute (one way) to get to his office in the northern part of the
    state every week. He car pools with two other guys from our area and
    drives every third week. But the job pays well. The nature of the job
    is that he is gone all week, every week, anyway, out inspecting mines.
    We chose to live here because this is where all of our family lives. My
    mother was in a nursing home here until she died two years ago, plus we
    have adult children and grandchildren living nearby. Housing costs are
    very low here, and we actually have a shot at getting our mortgage paid
    off so we can retire with no debt if we stay here. So, he commutes. He
    leaves at 2am on Mondays and gets home about 7pm on Thursdays. It works
    for us. We figured that if me and the kids were going to be alone all
    week anyway, we may as well be where we have a support system in place.

    Jeanie

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:44 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

    :>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:44 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    :>
    :>>Wow, I'd like to live where you are. My last fillup cost me $3.29 a
    :>>gallon in the Phoenix, AZ area. As of a few days ago we had the
    :>>highest price gas of any major city in the Western US, even higher
    :>>than the major cities in California.
    :>
    :>Just for 6-10$ per fillup, you'd really move to another part of the
    :>country? :-) I hope it was a figure of speech hehe

    Yeah, I was being a bit facetious there. I've lived in the Phoenix,
    AZ area for almost 40 years now. I've got plenty of family and
    friends here, have a good job, and really have no desire to move. But
    that doesn't stop me from being envious though. :-)

    me/2

    Kelly Cobb wrote:

    > So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    > price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    > up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    > $8/gallon for gas.:(
    >
    > Kelly

    Yow! You're getting gas for 2.69? Is this in the US? Because
    I live in Texas, the oil state (we're all supposed to be rich,
    y'know) and the cheapest I've seen it around here is 2.89. And
    that's for Walmart's nasty gas, which I won't buy, so it's 2.99
    for real gas.

    Laura

    "Laura Castellano" <laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Kelly Cobb wrote:
    >
    > > So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live,
    the
    > > price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just
    filled
    > > up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying
    over
    > > $8/gallon for gas.:(
    > >
    > > Kelly
    > >

    > Yow! You're getting gas for 2.69? Is this in the US? Because
    > I live in Texas, the oil state (we're all supposed to be rich,
    > y'know) and the cheapest I've seen it around here is 2.89. And
    > that's for Walmart's nasty gas, which I won't buy, so it's 2.99
    > for real gas.
    >
    > Laura

    That's in Oregon, at Costco. For plain old regular, nothing fancy like
    Super. I know it's a lot worse in other places around the country. Usually
    we're the most expensive, but Katrina gave the oil companies an excuse to
    gouge us all.

    Kelly

    Kelly Cobb wrote:

    > So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live, the
    > price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just filled
    > up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    > $8/gallon for gas.:(

    2.69? you lucky bastard.

    Most of my gas stations around here are 3.29ish. The weekend high post
    Katrina was above $4. While travelling this weekend, I saw 2.89 and
    thought it damn cheap.

    Right now, it costs more to refill my gas tank than to buy my spouse a
    carton of deathsticks.

    Grumble.

    -georg

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:54:24 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > That's terrible... I find it odd that we are almost comfy with 8$ a
    > gallon. While we do have decent public transportation, a lot of people
    > still choose to drive. Our minimum wage is (was?) 11$ now 12$ I
    > believe.
    \

    Minimal wage in my state is now $6/hour. I make about $7.20. That's 2
    gallons an hour. Sure, I don't drive to work, but I gotta drive to do
    any shopping- I can't get groceries on the internet.

    I'm working two part time jobs. Thank heaven the spouse has benefits
    with his job, or we'd have no insurance.

    -georg

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:24:15 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >Minimal wage in my state is now $6/hour. I make about $7.20. That's 2
    >gallons an hour. Sure, I don't drive to work, but I gotta drive to do
    >any shopping- I can't get groceries on the internet.

    I have one grocery store across the street, and three-four more within
    say 1 kilometer of walking. Additionally there's a very large one
    about 2km away... I guess our infrastructures are "set up"
    differently.

    >I'm working two part time jobs. Thank heaven the spouse has benefits
    >with his job, or we'd have no insurance.

    :-(
    --

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:24:15 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Minimal wage in my state is now $6/hour. I make about $7.20. That's 2
    >>gallons an hour. Sure, I don't drive to work, but I gotta drive to do
    >>any shopping- I can't get groceries on the internet.
    >

    > I have one grocery store across the street, and three-four more within
    > say 1 kilometer of walking. Additionally there's a very large one
    > about 2km away... I guess our infrastructures are "set up"
    > differently.

    There are two stores within walking distance. One sells
    pizzas/wings/deli sandwhiches, and the other is a bar. Everything else
    is over a mile away. Even Jazz's work is just over a mile, and he walks
    home (I drive him to work). And I live in rather urban suburbs. There is
    a city bus, because all high school students are expected to walk to
    school or take the city bus. But it's a seriously long wait between
    buses. No subway of course. Most of the serious shopping is 20 minutes
    by car, in several directions.

    I keep threatening to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar.

    -georg

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:05:31 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Well, one of my daughters lives here at home with us and attends college
    >25 miles away. She also has a job that is 10 miles in the other
    >direction. She earns $6.10 an hour and has a small car. It costs her
    >about $75 a week now for gasoline to get to school and work every day.

    Ok, ouch.

    >By the time she pays her car insurance and part of the payment (we pick
    >up the rest) she barely has enough money to buy a coke every week. It's
    >not hard to "drive a lot" when you live in a rural area. There are NO
    >forms of public transportation here. No buses (except school buses(, no
    >trains, no taxicabs. You either walk or drive or get a ride with somebody.

    I see :-( You know, a friend of mine who was visiting family in the US
    got stopped on the road several times by people pulling over and
    offering him a ride, because he had decided to walk to and from the
    shop :-) I remember how much we laughed about that... my grandma is
    77, she walks down a 5km hill to the store in the valley below, does
    her shopping, and walks back up the rather steep hill with her
    groceries. I'm just glad I live in the city :-)

    >Huh. Minimum wage here in the States is $5.15 an hour. Our state
    >raised the state minimum wage to $6.00 this year, but there is a
    >loophole so that anybody who works in food service (i.e. waiting or
    >busing tables) or who works in "agriculture" only makes $3.01 an hour.

    Agriculture? LOL.... like picking veggies?

    >My daughter bags groceries at Krogers and earns $6.15 an hour, plus an
    >occasional tip. She works 30 hours a week on a good week, 20 hours a
    >week sometimes. That's why she's going to school, so she can get a
    >better job. There used to be 15 factories in our area. Now there are
    >only four and two of them are over 60 miles away. Other than that, the
    >only unskilled jobs available are in retail or food service. So she is
    >in nursing school. That's the only kind of jobs around here that pay
    >anything.

    What I'm gonna say sounds obviously naive, but it doesn't sound like
    the country the rest of the world sees on TV.

    >BTW, her father works as a federal mine safety inspector and has a 280
    >mile commute (one way) to get to his office in the northern part of the

    Ok, dang... if you lived here at least you could take the train, and
    get a nap in or something, and the attendant would wake you...

    >state every week. He car pools with two other guys from our area and
    >drives every third week. But the job pays well. The nature of the job
    >is that he is gone all week, every week, anyway, out inspecting mines.

    Sounds dangerous too :-(

    >We chose to live here because this is where all of our family lives. My
    >mother was in a nursing home here until she died two years ago, plus we
    >have adult children and grandchildren living nearby. Housing costs are
    >very low here, and we actually have a shot at getting our mortgage paid
    >off so we can retire with no debt if we stay here. So, he commutes. He
    >leaves at 2am on Mondays and gets home about 7pm on Thursdays. It works
    >for us. We figured that if me and the kids were going to be alone all
    >week anyway, we may as well be where we have a support system in place.

    The costs here are huge, even for housing, but luckily public
    transportation is relatively cheap, and wages are high, which makes it
    livable...
    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:41:34 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >There are two stores within walking distance. One sells
    >pizzas/wings/deli sandwhiches, and the other is a bar. Everything else
    >is over a mile away. Even Jazz's work is just over a mile, and he walks

    Our cities and towns are laid out more like... each town has it's
    own... well, everything, like it used to be in the old days, in the
    US, right? Grocery stores, gas stations etc. are additionally littered
    around all over the place. Basically you can do most everything you
    need to do within 1km. I live in a suburb/district with about 10,000
    people. We have half at least half a dozen grocery stores, half a
    dozen kiosks, three subway stations, a myriad of busstops... 12? A
    local bus that drives only around our suburb, two suntan places, a pet
    store, a deli type place for specialist foods, freshly hunted food
    etc. lol.. hmmm... we have a library, a couple of clubs, a couple of
    youth clubs, two schools, five kindergardens, two electronics shops,
    two-three games and toy shops... etc. everything is basically
    organized into independant cells. Like the freaking Borg or something
    LOL I guess each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

    >home (I drive him to work). And I live in rather urban suburbs. There is
    >a city bus, because all high school students are expected to walk to
    >school or take the city bus. But it's a seriously long wait between
    >buses. No subway of course. Most of the serious shopping is 20 minutes
    >by car, in several directions.

    Here there's a bus at least every 15 minutes, 3 minutes downtown, a
    subway every 15, 3 minutes downtown etc...

    >I keep threatening to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar.

    LOL! Oh, I can see you now! Do it! :-D
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:54:34 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Righto, and I don't have a lot of dough lying around, so an increase of .50
    >a gallon in just a year hurts the budget. My husband has excellent health
    >insurance, but my daughter and I both have chronic health issues and they
    >get very expensive.

    I see :-(

    >We do have excellent doctors, because we don't have to contend with the
    >HMOs, and I am grateful for that. Sometimes I wish we had socialized
    >medicine, but I like being able to choose my doctor and I like not waiting
    >several months to see him.

    Up until recently, you had completely free choice of doctor here.
    Today each person has a regular physician in the hopes that illness
    will be easier to diagnose, and fewer people, especially old people,
    will slip through the cracks of the public healthcare system.

    But say I'm not feeling good, I can go to any doctor's office or
    hospital I wish. I've never waited more than like 2 minutes for help
    because there was a guy ahead of me. So socialized medicine isn't as
    bad as it's reputation, at least not if done correctly and demand is
    met by capacity.
    --

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:54:34 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    > <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Righto, and I don't have a lot of dough lying around, so an increase of
    ..50
    > >a gallon in just a year hurts the budget. My husband has excellent health
    > >insurance, but my daughter and I both have chronic health issues and they
    > >get very expensive.
    >
    > I see :-(
    >
    > >We do have excellent doctors, because we don't have to contend with the
    > >HMOs, and I am grateful for that. Sometimes I wish we had socialized
    > >medicine, but I like being able to choose my doctor and I like not
    waiting
    > >several months to see him.
    >
    > Up until recently, you had completely free choice of doctor here.
    > Today each person has a regular physician in the hopes that illness
    > will be easier to diagnose, and fewer people, especially old people,
    > will slip through the cracks of the public healthcare system.
    >
    > But say I'm not feeling good, I can go to any doctor's office or
    > hospital I wish. I've never waited more than like 2 minutes for help
    > because there was a guy ahead of me. So socialized medicine isn't as
    > bad as it's reputation, at least not if done correctly and demand is
    > met by capacity.
    > --

    The US has a long way to go with our healthcare system. It's definitely a
    matter of the haves and the have nots. We have because we both are able to
    work and afford insurance. The elderly, disabled, unemployed, and many
    thousands of children have not.

    I shouldn't get on this subject, it makes me mad.:(

    Kelly

    "Georg" wrote...
    > Kelly Cobb wrote:
    >
    >> So, you've just validated my point!:) Almost no matter where you live,
    >> the
    >> price of fuel has an impact on your driving/shopping habits. I just
    >> filled
    >> up this morning at 2.69/gallon and winced. I couldn't imagine paying over
    >> $8/gallon for gas.:(
    >
    > 2.69? you lucky bastard.
    >
    > Most of my gas stations around here are 3.29ish. The weekend high post
    > Katrina was above $4. While travelling this weekend, I saw 2.89 and
    > thought it damn cheap.
    >
    > Right now, it costs more to refill my gas tank than to buy my spouse a
    > carton of deathsticks.
    >
    > Grumble.

    I remember when I just moved to the States, the gas price was only half of
    the current price (which is around $3.29/gallon currently and it was $1.49
    for the PREMIUM gas). I still remember every time I filled up gas I was
    hoping it won't top $20.00 for a full tank. Nowadays it's a matter of
    hitting $40.00 or not....

    Ashikaga

    "Kelly Cobb" <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:54:34 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    >> <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Righto, and I don't have a lot of dough lying around, so an increase of
    > .50
    >> >a gallon in just a year hurts the budget. My husband has excellent
    >> >health
    >> >insurance, but my daughter and I both have chronic health issues and
    >> >they
    >> >get very expensive.
    >>
    >> I see :-(
    >>
    >> >We do have excellent doctors, because we don't have to contend with the
    >> >HMOs, and I am grateful for that. Sometimes I wish we had socialized
    >> >medicine, but I like being able to choose my doctor and I like not
    > waiting
    >> >several months to see him.
    >>
    >> Up until recently, you had completely free choice of doctor here.
    >> Today each person has a regular physician in the hopes that illness
    >> will be easier to diagnose, and fewer people, especially old people,
    >> will slip through the cracks of the public healthcare system.
    >>
    >> But say I'm not feeling good, I can go to any doctor's office or
    >> hospital I wish. I've never waited more than like 2 minutes for help
    >> because there was a guy ahead of me. So socialized medicine isn't as
    >> bad as it's reputation, at least not if done correctly and demand is
    >> met by capacity.
    >> --
    >>
    > The US has a long way to go with our healthcare system. It's definitely a
    > matter of the haves and the have nots. We have because we both are able to
    > work and afford insurance. The elderly, disabled, unemployed, and many
    > thousands of children have not.
    >
    > I shouldn't get on this subject, it makes me mad.:(
    >
    > Kelly

    Actually, the have nothings and the have lots do fine.
    It is the somewhere in-betweens that have the problem.

    It's when you have something but not enough.

    Go to CompUSA, they have a Price Match Guarantee. Which means that
    they will match advertised prices from other local stores...

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:03:32 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:24:31 -0700, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >:>
    >:>For those of us lucky enough to have a local Fry's Electronics store
    >:>their Friday 4 page ad had Nightlife as available after 4PM on the
    >:>15th at a price of $24.99. Now to wait and see what all the other
    >:>retailers have in their Sunday ads.
    >:>
    >:>me/2
    >
    >A followup after the Sunday ads showed up.
    >
    >Circuit City - No mention in their store ad. $39.99 on the web.
    >Shipping on the 13th for web orders.
    >
    >Best Buy - $34.99 in their store ad with a free audio cd (up to
    >$14.99). Available in store on the 15th. Shipping on the 14th for
    >web orders at the same price and free audio cd offer.
    >
    >CompUSA - $29.99 in their store ad. Available in store on the 14th.
    >Shipping on the 14th for web orders at the same price.
    >
    >So as of now it looks like it's off to Fry's Electronics after work on
    >Thursday to get it there.
    >
    >Then again, CompUSA is close enough to work I can easily run over
    >there on my lunch break. Fry's Electronics adds at least 10 miles to
    >my drive home in the wrong direction during rush hour. That $5.00
    >price difference doesn't seem so great when I look at it that way. :-)
    >
    >Decisions! Decisions!
    >
    >me/2

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > Up until recently, you had completely free choice of doctor here.
    > Today each person has a regular physician in the hopes that illness
    > will be easier to diagnose, and fewer people, especially old people,
    > will slip through the cracks of the public healthcare system.
    >
    > But say I'm not feeling good, I can go to any doctor's office or
    > hospital I wish. I've never waited more than like 2 minutes for help
    > because there was a guy ahead of me. So socialized medicine isn't as
    > bad as it's reputation, at least not if done correctly and demand is
    > met by capacity.

    The nearest thing America has to socialized medicine is the health care
    provided on military bases to active duty, retired and dependents. I
    was an Air Force wife for ten years (first marriage) and I never had any
    trouble being seen quickly at the base hospital. At the time I was
    using that system, though, one of the things that left a great deal to
    be desired (from my POV) was that dependents were at the bottom of the
    list and didn't receive nearly as good care as the active duty or
    retired troops. But I guess that's understandable.

    A lot of people shy away from the thought of socialized medicine in this
    country because they don't want to become "just a number" when they go
    to see a doctor. It's true, I seldom saw the same doctor twice, but
    they kept excellent records and could glance through your case in no
    time to be brought up to speed on what you'd had done so far by other
    doctors. And that was back in the 1970s and early 80s before the advent
    of computers. I imagine it's much more organized now. Being able to be
    seen immediately for strep throat and walking out with your antibiotics
    from the base pharmacy free of charge was a wonderful thing. Now, I
    have to pay $75 for the office call (more if I go through "Urgent Care"
    after hours), another $50 for the throat culture and then $20 at the
    drug store, usually the next day. I'll take socialized medicine any day.

    Jeanie

    > I see :-( You know, a friend of mine who was visiting family in the US
    > got stopped on the road several times by people pulling over and
    > offering him a ride, because he had decided to walk to and from the
    > shop :-) I remember how much we laughed about that... my grandma is
    > 77, she walks down a 5km hill to the store in the valley below, does
    > her shopping, and walks back up the rather steep hill with her
    > groceries. I'm just glad I live in the city :-)

    City dwellers in this country have mass transit. Buses, commuter
    trains, cabs and such. We just don't have them where I live. The town
    I live in has 3600 people and is six miles from any other town in any
    direction. The towns closest to us have about 10,000-13,000 population,
    so there is shopping, doctors, hospitals, etc. that close to us. But
    they don't have buses there, either, though they do have taxis for those
    folks to use within their city limits. I suppose I could call one of
    those cab companies if I were desperate to get to the store and couldn't
    get there under my own steam, but I shudder to think about what it would
    cost.

    >>Huh. Minimum wage here in the States is $5.15 an hour. Our state
    >>raised the state minimum wage to $6.00 this year, but there is a
    >>loophole so that anybody who works in food service (i.e. waiting or
    >>busing tables) or who works in "agriculture" only makes $3.01 an hour.
    >

    > Agriculture? LOL.... like picking veggies?

    Yes. This is farm country were I am. Picking, washing, packing and
    transporting fruit (peaches and applies mostly), or cutting and baling
    hay. That sort of thing. Hard, hard work in 100 degree heat for $3 an
    hour.

    >>My daughter bags groceries at Krogers and earns $6.15 an hour, plus an
    >>occasional tip. She works 30 hours a week on a good week, 20 hours a
    >>week sometimes. That's why she's going to school, so she can get a
    >>better job. There used to be 15 factories in our area. Now there are
    >>only four and two of them are over 60 miles away. Other than that, the
    >>only unskilled jobs available are in retail or food service. So she is
    >>in nursing school. That's the only kind of jobs around here that pay
    >>anything.
    >

    > What I'm gonna say sounds obviously naive, but it doesn't sound like
    > the country the rest of the world sees on TV.

    Well, it's what is. Everything is a trade-off, though. Wages are low
    here, but so are housing prices. You can still buy a very nice house
    for $50K or below here and have property taxes of about $600 a year.

    >>BTW, her father works as a federal mine safety inspector and has a 280
    >>mile commute (one way) to get to his office in the northern part of the
    >

    > Ok, dang... if you lived here at least you could take the train, and
    > get a nap in or something, and the attendant would wake you...

    That's why they car pool. Only the driver has to stay awake on the trip
    north. The other two guys sleep as a rule. Except for my husband who
    doesn't truly trust other people's driving and feels that he must keep a
    sharp lookout in order to keep the car on the road at all times. LOL

    >>state every week. He car pools with two other guys from our area and
    >>drives every third week. But the job pays well. The nature of the job
    >>is that he is gone all week, every week, anyway, out inspecting mines.
    >

    > Sounds dangerous too :-(

    It can be. He worked as an underground coal miner for 20 years, though,
    and that was worse. He's the fed guy now and usually gets treated like
    a king when he shows up and flashes his badge. <g>

    > The costs here are huge, even for housing, but luckily public
    > transportation is relatively cheap, and wages are high, which makes it
    > livable...

    Like I said, everything is a trade-off. Groceries, medical care,
    clothing, utilities and such aren't cheaper here, but having a $400
    house payment instead of $2500 makes it all even out.

    Jeanie

    Georg wrote:

    > There are two stores within walking distance. One sells
    > pizzas/wings/deli sandwhiches, and the other is a bar. Everything
    > else
    > is over a mile away. Even Jazz's work is just over a mile, and he
    > walks home (I drive him to work).

    Why not use a bycicle? Cheap, clean and healthy.

    T.

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:02:47 -0700, "Kelly Cobb"
    <kelly.cobb@gmail.com> wrote:

    >The US has a long way to go with our healthcare system. It's definitely a
    >matter of the haves and the have nots. We have because we both are able to
    >work and afford insurance. The elderly, disabled, unemployed, and many
    >thousands of children have not.
    >
    >I shouldn't get on this subject, it makes me mad.:(

    Understandably so... it's frightening to me, that there are so many
    people, even on this group, who are strugling with the system.
    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:33:16 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >A lot of people shy away from the thought of socialized medicine in this
    >country because they don't want to become "just a number" when they go
    >to see a doctor. It's true, I seldom saw the same doctor twice, but

    Yeah, I think a lot of people still live in fear of the communist
    ghost, hehe.

    >they kept excellent records and could glance through your case in no
    >time to be brought up to speed on what you'd had done so far by other
    >doctors. And that was back in the 1970s and early 80s before the advent
    >of computers. I imagine it's much more organized now. Being able to be
    >seen immediately for strep throat and walking out with your antibiotics
    >from the base pharmacy free of charge was a wonderful thing. Now, I

    That's how it works here. There's a doctor's office and a pharmacy in
    every town and suburb/district.

    >have to pay $75 for the office call (more if I go through "Urgent Care"
    >after hours), another $50 for the throat culture and then $20 at the
    >drug store, usually the next day. I'll take socialized medicine any day.

    Our system is far from perfect, it has a myriad of problems, including
    overspending, but if you're unlucky enough to be sick, and not have a
    rich family willing to sponsor you, it's the only way to go.
    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:58:26 GMT, "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I remember when I just moved to the States, the gas price was only half of
    >the current price (which is around $3.29/gallon currently and it was $1.49
    >for the PREMIUM gas). I still remember every time I filled up gas I was
    >hoping it won't top $20.00 for a full tank. Nowadays it's a matter of
    >hitting $40.00 or not....

    Here you can pray, in vain, that it won't hit 100$, because it will
    :-)
    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:47:06 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >It can be. He worked as an underground coal miner for 20 years, though,
    >and that was worse. He's the fed guy now and usually gets treated like
    >a king when he shows up and flashes his badge. <g>

    Oh you love it, don't you? :-P

    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:43:09 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    >Why not use a bycicle? Cheap, clean and healthy.

    Not every country is flat :-D hehe In denmark too, everybody rides
    bicycles :-)
    --

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:47:06 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It can be. He worked as an underground coal miner for 20 years, though,
    >>and that was worse. He's the fed guy now and usually gets treated like
    >>a king when he shows up and flashes his badge. <g>
    >

    > Oh you love it, don't you? :-P

    Who, me? Hell, no! I have to live with this guy and he usually brings
    that attitude home with him on the weekends. Doesn't take too long for
    me and the kids to bring him back to earth, though. He loves his job.
    It was tailor made for him. <g>

    Jeanie

    Taemon wrote:
    > Georg wrote:
    >

    >>There are two stores within walking distance. One sells
    >>pizzas/wings/deli sandwhiches, and the other is a bar. Everything
    >>else
    >>is over a mile away. Even Jazz's work is just over a mile, and he
    >>walks home (I drive him to work).
    >

    > Why not use a bycicle? Cheap, clean and healthy.
    >
    > T.

    Not too healthy if there isn't a bike lane on the road, though!

    Jeanie

    "Guardian Pegasus" wrote...
    > Jeanie wrote:
    >
    >>A lot of people shy away from the thought of socialized medicine in this
    >>country because they don't want to become "just a number" when they go
    >>to see a doctor. It's true, I seldom saw the same doctor twice, but
    >
    > Yeah, I think a lot of people still live in fear of the communist
    > ghost, hehe.

    Communist ghost? That must be the part of Christmas Carol I skipped....
    Bah, hambug!

    Ashikaga

    "Guardian Pegasus" wrote...
    > "Ashikaga" wrote:
    >
    >>I remember when I just moved to the States, the gas price was only half of
    >>the current price (which is around $3.29/gallon currently and it was $1.49
    >>for the PREMIUM gas). I still remember every time I filled up gas I was
    >>hoping it won't top $20.00 for a full tank. Nowadays it's a matter of
    >>hitting $40.00 or not....
    >
    > Here you can pray, in vain, that it won't hit 100$, because it will
    > :-)

    I think it's about time to plan community lots near residential lots so less
    money is burned for fuel. Hmm..., I wonder if one could open up a gas
    station with the next expansion pack?

    Ashikaga

    Ashikaga wrote:
    > "Guardian Pegasus" wrote...
    >
    >>"Ashikaga" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I remember when I just moved to the States, the gas price was only half of
    >>>the current price (which is around $3.29/gallon currently and it was $1.49
    >>>for the PREMIUM gas). I still remember every time I filled up gas I was
    >>>hoping it won't top $20.00 for a full tank. Nowadays it's a matter of
    >>>hitting $40.00 or not....
    >>
    >>Here you can pray, in vain, that it won't hit 100$, because it will
    >>:-)
    >

    > I think it's about time to plan community lots near residential lots so less
    > money is burned for fuel. Hmm..., I wonder if one could open up a gas
    > station with the next expansion pack?
    >
    > Ashikaga

    Yes, by the greasy spoon where nothing but baked beans are served. Then
    the exhaust fan from the restaurant fuels the pumps...

    -georg

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:43:09 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
    > wrote:
    >> Why not use a bycicle? Cheap, clean and healthy.

    Uhm, "bicycle" <blush>.

    > Not every country is flat :-D

    All the more healthy :-)

    T.

    Jeanie wrote:

    > Taemon wrote:
    >> Georg wrote:
    >>> There are two stores within walking distance. One sells
    >>> pizzas/wings/deli sandwhiches, and the other is a bar. Everything
    >>> else is over a mile away. Even Jazz's work is just over a mile,
    >>> and he
    >>> walks home (I drive him to work).
    >> Why not use a bycicle? Cheap, clean and healthy.
    > Not too healthy if there isn't a bike lane on the road, though!

    No, I guess not. I was in the States, once, in California. We laughed
    ourselves silly about the sporty bicycle types - helmet, knee
    protectors, you name it - cycling along motorways black with exhaust
    :-}

    T.

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:24:34 GMT, "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Communist ghost? That must be the part of Christmas Carol I skipped....
    >Bah, hambug!

    Yeah, you know, the Communist Ghost that convinced Scrooge to give
    away his hard earned money to the starving children who hadn't earned
    them! LOL
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    "Guardian Pegasus" wrote...
    > "Ashikaga" wrote:
    >
    >>Communist ghost? That must be the part of Christmas Carol I skipped....
    >>Bah, hambug!
    >
    > Yeah, you know, the Communist Ghost that convinced Scrooge to give
    > away his hard earned money to the starving children who hadn't earned
    > them! LOL

    I KNEW IT! Charles Dickens is real father of communism. ;-)

    Ashikaga

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:28:01 GMT, "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I think it's about time to plan community lots near residential lots so less
    >money is burned for fuel. Hmm..., I wonder if one could open up a gas
    >station with the next expansion pack?

    Hehe, it IS called Business Life. According to Maxis though cars in
    Nightlife run on tiny internal fusion reactors and last virtually
    forever :-)
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

Sims Games Video Games electronics