Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking L3 cache on Athlon II X3 425

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2009 10:58:24 PM

Recently bought an Athlon II X3 425 processor and a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. Was able to unlock the fourth core and CPU-Z reports the processor as a Phenom II X4 B25 but L3 cache remains locked.

Any ideas on what happened or is there anything I can do to unlock the L3 cache?
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 11:19:50 PM

Some of the early Athlon II's were just Phenom II's with disabled cache and a disabled cores, meaning that you could be able to unlock the cache along with the cores. But most of the newer ones are brand new Athlon II dies, which do not have the 6mb of cache on die, meaning that you cannot unlock extra cache because its not there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 12:01:18 AM

bige420 said:
Some of the early Athlon II's were just Phenom II's with disabled cache and a disabled cores, meaning that you could be able to unlock the cache along with the cores. But most of the newer ones are brand new Athlon II dies, which do not have the 6mb of cache on die, meaning that you cannot unlock extra cache because its not there.

+1

Majority of the athlon II's dont have the l3 cache as bige420 said. Cant unlock something it when there nothing to unlock.
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2009 5:11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I had my suspicions I had one with no L3 cache. It's just that it had the exact same stepping as some others that had unlockable L3 caches and were posted on the web. Was hoping I missed something or I could do something else to unlock the L3 cache. An unlocked stable fourth core is still better than nothing. ;) 
m
l
December 16, 2009 5:02:43 PM

i think that you missed the batch number, there are certain batch numbers that still have the L3, the earlier release of 425, such as 0923epmw
m
l
December 22, 2009 4:26:20 PM

Yupp.I have one, and it has unlockable 6Mb L3 cache. Check this out:

][/urlExt]

:sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 4:32:25 PM

There is no way I would fool around with disabled cache.
m
l
!