Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5Q PRO Silicon Image Drive Expert SATA ports

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2010 1:35:38 PM

Hello,

I have an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard, and have set the Drive Expert setting in BIOS to Normal mode so that I can use ports SATA_E1 (orange, port 0) and SATA_E2 (white, port 1) as independent hard disk ports. I have the SATA Storage Configuration set up as RAID, as I want to use the six ICH10R SATA ports to create RAID sets.

The problem I have is that after configuring the BIOS this way, when booting up, only the hard disk connected to the SATA_E1 (orange) port is recognized, while the hard disk connected to the SATA_E2 (white) port is not.

Again, I do not want to create a RAID set between the disks on SATA_E1 and SATA_E2, but instead want to use them as single, standalone disks, but only the one on the SATA_E1 (orange) port is recognized. I have determined that both disks are functioning OK, as both disks are recognized on SATA_E1, but not on SATA_E2.

Please help. Is this just a limitation of the board and/or BIOS, in that while in Normal mode, only the SATA_E1 port actually works, or does setting the SATA Storage Configuration to RAID cause this behavior on SATA_E2, or do I have a possible defective motherboard, or other?

Thanks!
March 15, 2010 4:42:30 PM

Hi,
Just tested the Orange SATA port on the same motherboard ASUS P5Q PRO.

At the time when you select NORMAL mode in BIOS Drive Xpert section a window appears saying that only SATA_E1 port (Orange) is available in NORMAL mode.

So it has nothing to do with your RAID. And your MB os not defective.

Good luck!!!
m
l
March 15, 2010 5:35:16 PM

Thanks Bullka. I will have to go back and set it to one of the other Drive Expert modes, then back to Normal mode to see if I can catch that message. I certainly don't recall seeing it appear when I set mine to Normal mode, but I might not have looked for it hard enough. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2010 6:11:04 PM

ADX3018 said:
Hello,I have an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard, and have set the Drive Expert setting in BIOS to Normal mode so that I can use ports SATA_E1 (orange, port 0) and SATA_E2 (white, port 1) as independent hard disk ports.  I have the SATA Storage Configuration set up as RAID, as I want to use the six ICH10R SATA ports to create RAID sets.The problem I have is that after configuring the BIOS this way, when booting up, only the hard disk connected to the SATA_E1 (orange) port is recognized, while the hard disk connected to the SATA_E2 (white) port is not.Again, I do not want to create a RAID set between the disks on SATA_E1 and SATA_E2, but instead want to use them as single, standalone disks, but only the one on the SATA_E1 (orange) port is recognized.  I have determined that both disks are functioning OK, as both disks are recognized on SATA_E1, but not on SATA_E2.Please help.  Is this just a limitation of the board and/or BIOS, in that while in Normal mode, only the SATA_E1 port actually works, or does setting the SATA Storage Configuration to RAID cause this behavior on SATA_E2, or do I have a possible defective motherboard, or other?Thanks!
You can get an owners manual from AsusUSA. READ IT! see pages 1-5,2-30,2-31,3-8,3-10,3-33,4-9,4-12 thru 15. You are set-up all wrong! The "E" in SATA_E means "E"xternal. The two ports are for external drvs rated as ESATA or for a RAID configuration using 3 hard drives, though they'll work with only 2 drvs in RAID MODE! 3 drvs work best. The "Normal" is for NON-RAID, NON E_SATA, 1 disk!!! In any case 2 RAID discs will be read by the BIOS as 1 disk as they work as 1. If your NOT talking RAID or E_SATA, WHY ARE YOU USING these ports!!!. If you're going to run RAID in more than 2 drvs, you HAVE to use the standard SATA connectors!! If your only going to RAID 0 or 1, plug them into the standard SATA ports. Then put your NON-Raid on a standard SATA port. WARNING! I may be wrong, but the NON-RAID disk may be formatted clean! Or plug 2 RAID disks into the E-SATA ports and your NON-RAID disk on a standard SATA port (again may be formatted?). This is if your talking only 3 disks.
m
l
May 8, 2014 9:55:46 AM

You can use both ports as normal S-ATA-ports just like the other 6 red ones, incl. hotplugging (for E-SATA-use) !

You need the Marvell 88SE6111-driver for your OS. Get it from the Asus-driver-page for your board (category: s-ata). Then you need to set DriveXpert in BIOS to Enabled (or Auto?) and Drive Xpert Mode Update to Update To Normal Mode. If it's greyed out and not accessable, you need to have plugged in two hard drives (or one HDD and one optical drive?) to the orange and the white port.
Perhaps you don't need to do this in BIOS (I did) and use the DriveXpert-Tool for windows. The manual describes it so.
With installed 88SE6111-driver, Win should install new drivers and after a reboot BOTH HDDs are found.

I had plugged in two 2TB-drives full with data when I made the Update To Normal Mode-step. No data was lost!
m
l
!