G

I just built a new system with the following components:

Intel E8400
Gigabtye GA ep45 ud3p
4 G Ram
Windows Xp SP2
HIS 4850 512 256bit
Antec Sonata 3 w/ 500 watt powersupply

When running 3DMark05 or Sandra video benchmarks, I get a blank screen. The computer keeps running but it is not sending a signal. I am able to play DVDs and I successfully ran DXDIAG test. I've tested the CPU and the RAM and both appear to be fine. Any ideas on what the problem might be? I've tried 2 versions of the ATI drivers and have Directx 9.0c installed.

Thanks

Don

Solution
It's just the BIOS resetting something because of the PSU change. If it only happened once it's not a problem. The Antec PSU that came with your case is high quality. Makes sure you get it replaced on warranty, then put it in a friends machine or sell it.
G

Proximan: The GPU fan continued to spin. I'll go back and check the temps. When I ran 3Dmark05, the screen went blank immediately so I don't think it had time to overheat.

hosreh: My monitor only allows 60hz at native resolution of 1650x1050. I'll try a lower resolution and higher refresh.

Thanks for the tips.

Don

G

I changed the resolution to 1440x900 and raised the refresh rate to 75mhz. I was able to run 2 of the sandra video tests without a problem. However when I ran the GpGpu test, the temp went to 67 before the screen when blank. In addition to the screen being blank, the computer appear to be unresponsive to key strokes. Is there a way to determine whether the problem is the motherboard or the video card? Thanks.

G

Proximon, the monitor is an Acer 193w connected via DVI with no adaptors. I have not been able to find a XP driver for this monitor, it uses the plug and play window driver. I'll probably RMA the video card tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have access to another video card or mobo to test. Thanks again. Don

JDJ

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Here is a followup from my question last week. I upgraded my PSU from the Antec 500W to a Corsair 650W and now I can run the benchmarks I could not previously run. It appears to have solved my problem.

One other issue - when I started the computer for the first time with the new PSU the mobo lit up and the fans came on and then it shut off temporarily but then came back on and worked normally. It did not do this when I started the computer the second time or this morning. Is this something I should be concerned about or could it be that the PSU was new?

Thanks again. Don

It's just the BIOS resetting something because of the PSU change. If it only happened once it's not a problem. The Antec PSU that came with your case is high quality. Makes sure you get it replaced on warranty, then put it in a friends machine or sell it.

Solution

JDJ

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks Proximon. That makes sense. I made a change in Bios and it did it again. So it did it when I first started the computer and after a Bios change. Thanks for you help.