Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quiet cooler for an old p4?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 15, 2009 12:44:53 AM

my buddy had an old pentium 4 comp that he gave me. I set it up for my younger sister to use. It works great except the cpu fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Any recommendations for a good quiet cpu cooler for it? preferably no more that $30-$35.

PS- I already tried tweaking the fan settings. no luck. as soon as she loads even a simple flash game, it revs up w/in 5 minutes. more complex flash games + videos heat it up right away.

More about : quiet cooler

December 15, 2009 1:01:49 AM

oh and the case is a decent sized mid tower, so size isn't really an issue
m
0
l
Related resources
December 16, 2009 12:25:48 PM

this isnt worth starting up a thread....... it depends on your socket. here are two i found within your price range and with the lowest sound decibels available (for a fan and heatsink setup) < 20dba:

Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8
Thermaltake CL-P0372 92mm Enter CPU Cooler
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 12:33:54 PM

gonintendo said:
my buddy had an old pentium 4 comp that he gave me. I set it up for my younger sister to use. It works great except the cpu fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Any recommendations for a good quiet cpu cooler for it? preferably no more that $30-$35.

PS- I already tried tweaking the fan settings. no luck. as soon as she loads even a simple flash game, it revs up w/in 5 minutes. more complex flash games + videos heat it up right away.


Yeah the p4's can get really hot quick. Although we have a question. What socket is the p4 on? If you dont know, download CPU-z and underneath Package it should say one of these 3 sockets:

Socket 423
Socket 478
LGA 775

This will help us to find the right HSF for you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 12:37:49 PM

zoemayne said:
this isnt worth starting up a thread.......


If you dont really know what you're looking for or your seeing what other people recommenced that maybe better then yes it's worth starting up a thread. ;) 

There almost never a dumb question to ask on here.
m
0
l
December 16, 2009 8:25:41 PM

its socket 478
m
0
l
December 16, 2009 8:26:08 PM

and thank you in advance
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 9:02:31 PM

i would get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $35.81

Just be careful when moving the computer is being moved around alot. it's heavy HSF and may damage motherboard if your not careful.

Also make sure you have enough room around the socket to use this.

Last but not least, be sure to get Arctic silver 5 thermal compound to maximize the cooling effect.

I recommend this cpu for a few reasons
1. it's got a slower rpm speed than stock fan. instead of like 3000(+) rmp speed this has max 2000 rmp.
2. it has a very large fan (120 mm vs stock 80 mm fan) so it will get your cpu cooler.
3. it's made of copper instead of aluminum. Copper is better for cooling cpu.

A cooler CPU means fan doesn't have to work as hard which in turns makes less noise. Hope this helps.
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 10:10:27 PM

warmon6 said:
i would get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $35.81

Just be careful when moving the computer is being moved around alot. it's heavy HSF and may damage motherboard if your not careful.

Also make sure you have enough room around the socket to use this.

Last but not least, be sure to get Arctic silver 5 thermal compound to maximize the cooling effect.

I recommend this cpu for a few reasons
1. it's got a slower rpm speed than stock fan. instead of like 3000(+) rmp speed this has max 2000 rmp.
2. it has a very large fan (120 mm vs stock 80 mm fan) so it will get your cpu cooler.
3. it's made of copper instead of aluminum. Copper is better for cooling cpu.

A cooler CPU means fan doesn't have to work as hard which in turns makes less noise. Hope this helps.

not sure if that will work. the ram is right next to the cpu. with the stock cooler there is maybe 1cm of clearance.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2009 2:58:23 PM

gonintendo said:
not sure if that will work. the ram is right next to the cpu. with the stock cooler there is maybe 1cm of clearance.


Well, i guess Were going to have to go vertical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is a $49.99 HSF, although it currently has a $10 mail in rebate. making it $39.99

there are cheaper HSF, but there just like the stock. High rmp and cant cool the cpu as well. Which means lots of noise.

The question here is, Will it be able to fit in the case? The thing around the cpu will be fine with this one, it just the height of it.

m
0
l
!