Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking bios help

Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2011 6:30:25 PM

I have an old Phenom II 550 BE dual core, that i've just recently started to tweak since the warranty is almost out so I thought it's now or never. For those who know, it has 2 extra cores that are considered bad and are deactivate, but sometimes one or two of them are in fact working and you can unlock them. I've manage to unlock the extra 2 cores, posted well in bios but never manage to go beyond the Windows logo. But I know you can try to make it a tri-core, but I to dissable each core to figure out if any of the "deffective" ones actually works and the only problem in this is that I haven't figured out how to do this. I have an Asus motherboard with an nVidia chipset , more exactly the M4N72-E.

If anyone knows the inner working of it's bios, please do help.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/photo0126l.jpg...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/photo0127zg.jp...

More about : unlocking bios

a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 7:56:24 PM

I do not have that board, and I have not unlocked cores, but I do know how. Let's see if I can help. Select "per core" and select what cores you want turned on, and what cores you do not. I would try this first: Core #0 = on, Core #1 = on, Core #2 = on, and if it works, you know what core is bad. #3. If cores, 0,1,2 don't work, try core 0,1,3. Also, you could try all core turned on and raise the voltage a bit. But don't raise the voltage too high.
December 29, 2011 9:47:33 AM

The problem is that NVCC shows me only -12% to 12 %, there's no on/off function
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 2:48:54 PM

Draufganger said:
The problem is that NVCC shows me only -12% to 12 %, there's no on/off function

What do you mean -12/12%? You can't just select how many cores? Something like this: Core #0,1,2?
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 2:51:11 PM

Can you set some cores to do 0% so it doesn't work?
December 29, 2011 4:36:07 PM

I tried that, nothing happened, I think it's the default.

no, i can't select how many cores, it just asks me a value for each core.
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 4:37:29 PM

In my BIOS there is a option of how many cores. 1,2,3, and all cores. Is there something like that?
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 5:06:04 PM

Try disabling Cool N Quiet. Also, don't turn cores 0 or 1 down. See if by turning cores 2 or 3 down to 0% helps. (I assume 0% means turning it off) Also, when it blue screens, does it dump memory? Try turning the memory down too. test your memory with windows memory diagnostics for 20 passes or Memtest86+. It could be a memory issue.
December 29, 2011 5:18:18 PM

The blue screen was about a defective device has been detected or something like that (i blame it on the defective core), i'll try to catch it on tape again, I don't think its a memory problem because i haven't had any blue screens related to it but i will memtest t just in case. Btw this is what i tried a while back .
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/photo0033d.jpg/

Brb, i'm going to try it again using what u recomended, i'll underclock memory to 600. I'll post the video as soon as i can.
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 6:43:17 PM

You mean NVCC cannot select what cores to use? That may be true. If you cannot select cores, you may not be able to unlock them.
December 29, 2011 7:15:40 PM

yeah, if you look at the video at one point I enter the nvcc menu it only shows % no on or off, could there be another way without using the nvcc or could it be under a different name
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 7:55:05 PM

Draufganger said:
yeah, if you look at the video at one point I enter the nvcc menu it only shows % no on or off, could there be another way without using the nvcc or could it be under a different name

There may be a core unlocker section. I believe you were already there though. I don't think you can select what cores you want with those settings. I would call it quits. Although, check the whole BIOS in case there is a spot you missed.
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2011 6:09:26 PM

:lol: 
!