Two quick questions

junaid96

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hi guys (and girls)

I'm very new to to this "build you own PC and overclock it to the max" world, so I don't know very much :)

Anyway, I have a few questions for you geniuses:

Messy post, just skim-read if you want.

I built me a 2500K build over the summer, and discovered that in the BIOS I could just change my multiplier to 40 and get a 4.0GHZ overclock. "Great", I thought, and saved and exited. I later discovered that I should really have run a stress test, so I ran OCCTP or something like that a few times for about 2-5 minutes each time. My temperatures creeped up during that period, until they reached something like 87C, and the stress test gave a warning :O Should I run it for longer and see if it goes higher, or is that already the max temperature before it burns out the CPU? Idle temps are around 32-35C. Any advice would be great - I bought a 2500*K* for OC, so I would like to overclock. I'm using the stock heatsink (no, I'm not going to buy an aftermarket cooler) with a CM Enforcer case (front 200mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, and scope for a 200mm on the top).

Secondly, a weird question - I installed SpeedFan after hearing all the rave about it, and promptly confused myself with its insane amount of settings.. I managed to control my GPU fan, and changed it to.. well 120%? My rocket of an EAH6850 then almost exploded with noise, and I quickly reduced to 50% in fear. I can't remember if it was faster than 100%, but I don't want to try again - can anyone tell me if it's possible that I could have gone beyond "100%"?

Thanks,

junaid96

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Turns out I'm not "allowed" to edit, so here's my edit:

EDIT - Also, voltages confuse me greatly - I was getting graphs and readings of them, but so far I've just totally ignored them in the BIOS and any tools I use, so they're all set at what they defaulted at. Is this okay for my overclock? A quick explanation of them would be great too.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Ninety degrees Celsius is what Intel claims to be the highest safe operating temperature. So eighty seven Celsius is definitely "pushing it" and could cause damage.

In order to achieve a modest and stable OC you will likely need to purchase and install an after-market HSF at some point. Though I do realize that it can be a pain to install and that they can be a nit pricey, its leagues above the stock HSF.

I'm sure that over-volting the fan is a possibility, though I have never done so myself.

The following link should help you to understand what it takes to achieve a stable OC using the 1155 platform.

http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review