laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I have worked my way from 3.2 Ghz finding a stable clock on every .5 of multiplier I add but now I'm stuck at 3.7 Ghz. It boots up to 3.7 find and runs prime 95 for 1 or 2 hours but then freezes but doesn't crash.
peUrx.png

Solution
Your voltage is insane. AMD says 1.5v maximum. What is the heat? What HSF? Motherboard, PSU? Whole system please. It could be that you are running the CPU at that voltage, which is producing more heat (more voltage = more heat) making the CPU shut itself off or stop the program. What are your BIOS settings?
Your voltage is insane. AMD says 1.5v maximum. What is the heat? What HSF? Motherboard, PSU? Whole system please. It could be that you are running the CPU at that voltage, which is producing more heat (more voltage = more heat) making the CPU shut itself off or stop the program. What are your BIOS settings?

Solution

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

On idle it runs around 95 F and under load it goes up to 120-130 F. I have a gigabyte ga-ma790xt-ud4f motherboard, psu is a 600 w corsair and 4gb of cheap "Super Talent" ram That's everything I have changed.
4hM6x.jpg

By putting the voltage on the RAM a little bit higher, you may reach a better OC. Just like, .1v though. CHANGE THE CPU VOLTAGE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! YOU WILL KILL THE CHIP! :non: Kepp the voltage stock, and try to boot from there. When it crashes, raise it a little. But don't go past 1.45v. (.1v past stock) Now, if you get a crash, try raising that RAM voltage ONLY slightly. See if you get in to windows. Shoot for 3.8Ghz. Get back to me with what happens and how far you can get. Also, what are your temps in Celsius?

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

In celsius idle is 35 to 37 under load it's 48-53 and I reset all my settings to default.

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Ok I can boot into windows on stock voltage but as soon as I ran prime 95 it bsod instantly. Even after raising my cpu voltage to 1.45 and my ram to 1.7 it only lasted 30 seconds.

Your CPU is also a C2 revision, which means it will not OC to 4Ghz very easily. You would be lucky if you got it there. Can you get it stable at 3.7Ghz? That is where a C2 chip will generally be at. 3.7-3.9Ghz. Try these settings: Auto voltage (MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT PASS 1.46V!), 2100Mhz NB, 1.7v memory, and that may do it. Monitor heat, voltage spikes, and VOLTAGE! Auto generally overvolts the CPU, but when I OCed yesterday (hit 4.4Ghz on auto easily) it actually was stable with a lower voltage that a fixed voltage I used.

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Ok Should I be using the ratio multiplier or the clock control? And when I kept everything on auto and dropped the cpu frequency to 3.6 but it still crashes as soon as I hit start on prime 95. Here are the settings I used
TJRb7.jpg

Try OCCT. http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download My Prime95 crashed after a while (about 5 hours) but the system didn't crash. My multiplier was also fluctuating. It was really weird, but when I used OCCT, my multiplier stayed at 44, and I got the whole 6.5 hours I set it for. Prime95 was interfering I think. It may be doing the same to your system. Also, using the multiplier is great, but you can also use the FSB. When using the FSB, tune your memory settings down. Meaning, run your memory slower, and the FSB increase can bring the memory speed up a little bit along with the CPU.

So, use OCCT, FSB a little, and tune the memory down a bit.

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
That's directly from a HP pavilion desktop with just a stock cooler nothing has been changed.

The max voltage for that CPU is 1.25v. Either that CPU-Z is not reading the voltage correctly, or I am very surprised that CPU is not on fire. CHANGE IT QUICK! Check the BIOS or manually set the voltage! That is insane! For clocks, go by changing the FSB to 205, 210, 215, 220, etc. Also, change the memory down to 667, and if you pass 800Mhz on the memory with an initial setting of 667mhz, change it down t 533. What cooler again?

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I can't change it since it's a HP computer and the bios is locked. and it's on the stock cooler from HP

Latest posts