TOSHIBA LAPTOP PROBLEMS

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 10:01:17 PM

I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
overheating, and poor cooling!!

Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
Instead of better cooling system..

You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
Shutdown!!

Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 10:01:18 PM

me2@privacy.net wrote:

> I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
> non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!
>
> Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
> Instead of better cooling system..
>
> You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
> processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
> Shutdown!!
>
> Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

What model are your talking about?

ANC
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 10:01:18 PM

me2@privacy.net wrote:
> I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
> non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!
>
> Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
> Instead of better cooling system..
>
> You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
> processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
> Shutdown!!
>
> Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

Can of compressed gas dust cleaner at a computer supply. Blow out the
exhaust, then the fan inlet. Google for htmonitor which will show the
CPU temp.

a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 10:01:18 PM

>I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
>non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
>overheating, and poor cooling!!
>
>Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
>Instead of better cooling system..
>
>You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
>processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
>Shutdown!!
>
>Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

A wacky hard drive will cause those problems. My Toshiba had some of
those until they replaced the HDD. That Norton garbage won't help
either.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 10:44:58 PM

I've had an A45-S150 for several months now. I'm a programmer and work it
hard for hours at a time. No problems of any kind to date, except for
having to install an updated sound driver to get back my "disappearing
sound"

<me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
> non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!
>
> Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
> Instead of better cooling system..
>
> You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
> processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
> Shutdown!!
>
> Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 2:24:27 AM

<me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
> non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!
>
> Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
> Instead of better cooling system..
>
> You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
> processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
> Shutdown!!
>
> Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

Gee thanks! I just orders a brand new Toshiba P15-S470 which is due to
arrive tomorrow. I hope I don't have these issues.

You're not working on an oil well in the middle of Saudi Arabia are you?
LOL
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 5:13:47 AM

me2@privacy.net wrote:
> I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
> non-existant...

That's what I hear.

Toshibas are not THAT bad, from a reliability standpoint, but for
service? Fughetabowtit!

If you want both, IBM is the *ONLY* way to go.

> and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!

That may be due to the interface material between the CPU and heatsink
being inadequate.

I recall reading an Alienware review/comment where overheating problems
were solved by removing the original interface and then using some
Arctic-Silver compound.

Of course, you would have to crack open your unit to pull off a job like
that.

> Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
> Instead of better cooling system..
>
> You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
> processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
> Shutdown!!

Hehe... Norton.... HEHEHEHAHAHAHA!!

> Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

May 29, 2004 1:22:22 AM

> non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
> overheating, and poor cooling!!

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2435. (2.4 Ghz P4)

Also had heating issues while putting a lot of strain on resources. I do a
bit of video rendering, which caused heating shutdowns from time to time.
Vents were perfectly clean and fans worked like they should, but quite a bit
of heat does build up. I began to notice that the shutdowns seemed to only
occur while laptop was on certain surfaces, such as a soft table or on my
lap with legs pulled together. Ever since starting to only do video
rendering while on hard, flat, surfaces (or keeping legs apart while on
lap), haven't seen a single heating problem. I also place two small pieces
of wood on the soft table to elevate the laptop high enough that air can
freely flow in/out. Solved the problem.

Yeah, this obvious, but make sure air can flow freely.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 29, 2012 4:20:13 PM

Quote:

I will NEVER buy another Toshiba Laptop!! Their support is about
non-existant...and SHUTDOWN problems are quite common due to processor
overheating, and poor cooling!!

Toshiba's fix??? An updated BIOS...that SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESSOR!!!
Instead of better cooling system..

You can let a Toshiba sit for hours, and all is well, but get the
processor 'busy' like Norton anti-virus scan, or SPYBOT...and WHAM!!
Shutdown!!

Disgusting,,,and not properly addressed!

I too am a disgruntle Toshiba customer. I have lost all patience for their customer no-service department. First they claimed by computer was out of warranty so I faxed them proof it was not. That bought them some time, then they said a supervisor would have to help me and would call within 48 hours. That of course did not happen so after a week I called them back only to find that that case nunber had been "closed because of inactivity". More time wasted. At this point I had to buy a new computer - I have work to do. Now they are saying the best they can do is "try" to repair it and if they can they will give me a one month warranty. Guess they don't even believe the darn thing is repairable. You would think if they had faith in their ability to fix it they woulds extend the warranty another year. Not so. The customer service people all have a script and cannot/will not get off of it. They had the gall to end the conversation with, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?" My G--, they hadn't done anything at all; why offer to do more of nothing for me.
Last anything from this company for me.
!