'Please do not turn off computer' I freakin' turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello

About a weeks ago I spilled water on my new ASUS laptop. Luckily it spilled where the screen meets the base of the computer so I think all of it went through. In my panic however, I quickly unplugged the power cord and I shut off the computer. I then blow-dryed it for about an hour. After the hour, I decided to turn it on. At this point my heart is pounding hoping nothing fries.

A little while before this I installed the Windows Service Pack 1 on my Windows 7 Home Premium, however I had never shut off the computer between when I installed it and then shut it off from the water. So when it turned on (hopefully with no water damage) it started to configure the service pack. It got to 15%, and then stayed like that fro about 10 minutes. Now ten minutes wasn't too long, but I was still worried that it stalled from the water. So in my stupidity I actually shut off the computer during the configuration..... I still regret the decision.

Upon turning it on again, I got an error message below the windows symbol during startup, and the startup wouldn't continue. After hours of google searching the error I found a fix in which I changed these files to thefilename.old which I guess forces new ones to be created. It worked, and it brought me to my desktop with no trouble. I then ran a chkdsk and a system restore to before installing the service pack to be sure I was safe. Everything turned out fine. *FIN*

Just kidding. Now a week later I wanted to install the Battlefield 3 Beta, and I got some error message which I thought had something to do with Origin. So I googled it.... I ended up finding a page saying I should run an sfc /scannow. So I did, but about 20 minutes after running it said there was an update already in cue, and that I shoul dreboot then retry. So I rebooted, and as it turns out there was an update. So it started to configure, but then said 'Failure to configure windows update. Reverting changes' The computer reboots. Says 'Failure configuring windows update. Reverting changes' again! However now it did bring me to my desktop. I tried running sfc /scannow, to no avail. Any suggestion.

Sorry for such a long explanation.

Soapdude

Solution
i would just do a complete reformat, im pretty sure you can do this with a downloaded windows 7 just enter the OEM key on the side/bottom of your laptop when prompted, if you cant find it its also in: start>my computer> properties> the very last enty
i would just do a complete reformat, im pretty sure you can do this with a downloaded windows 7 just enter the OEM key on the side/bottom of your laptop when prompted, if you cant find it its also in: start>my computer> properties> the very last enty

Solution

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

You really think a complete reformat would be the best solution? No ones got anything that might work?

best? maybe. easiest without hashing through thousands of registry entries, yes :)

i mean its just personally what i would do :p

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

Alright I'll probably do that then. What's the best way to go about reformatting?

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

My hard drive is partitioned into an OS and a DATA drive. I would think the DATA part. would have the restore on it.

computerdude213

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Asus computers typicaly come with recovery disks. Well, my 3 laptops did idk bout yours. If not just do like the other said and download windows from microsoft or any othr trusted site like cnet. After that if you can I think th easiest way is to burn the iso file onto a disk uring a program like poweriso or alcahol 120%. Or if u can't, try to get like a big flash drive. I highly reccomend the cd method, as I have never had problems with it and some computers don't let u use flash memory as a boot option. anyways, then go into ur bios and set the bot priority to cd drive or flash drive depending on which options ur givn and what media u used to save windows onto. It will prepare the files and say either custon install or clean install. Choose clean. This will wipe everything. Then it will say choose a hard drive to install. Choose ur drive and selc format. Then allocate the disk space to the highest it will let you. Then click next and u should be on ur way to reformating ur pc. Hope this helps. If u don't understand there r plenty of vids on youtube teaching u how to do this. Btw the process is the same for wndows 7 as for xp so any video will work.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Asus notebooks come with a hidden partition that enables you to clean install Windows to factory settings.

Upon power up, keep hitting the F9 key and that should get you to a Windows clean install window.

From memory, it takes about 30 minutes to reformat/reinstall to factory settings.

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

What do you mean by download windows. Surely you don't mean the OS.

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

So I tried this, and it got to a point where a command prompt was tracking progress. It got to 2% and an error message quickly came up that ended in something about something not being mounted. Then a huge ERROR came up on screen with a white background with ASRecovery on the top. Waited or about thirty minutes. No luck.

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I've already tried that. Can any point to a good tutorial on doing a complete restore? A lot are saying the download windows 7 and just reinstall, but how could it install the right drivers.

soapdude

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I've already tried that. Can any point to a good tutorial on doing a complete restore? A lot are saying the download windows 7 and just reinstall, but how could it install the right drivers.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

Windows 7 will search though a database that Microsoft has for proper drivers. There is a very good chance that it won't find all of them. For those it doesn't find you'll have to go to the manufacturers website, download the drivers and install them yourself. It really isn't that hard.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
AFAIK (in Korea anyways), Asus DO NOT provide a separate Windows CD nor can it be downloaded.

Hence the restore function on a hidden partition on your notebook.

It's a pain but I would recommend you take it to their service center.

They are pretty understanding so it shouldn't hurt your back pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.