margaret_21

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I am thinking about buying a laptop. I have been researching this all day. I see a very attractive, thin notebook with a 15.6" screen that weighs under 5 lbs. However, it says it has an intel core 2 duo processor su9400: 1.4 ghz. It also has a 500 gb 5400 rpm SATA drive. Other models I am looking at weigh more, but the processor is an intel core 2 due T9600 2.80 ghz with a 500 gb sata hard disk drive 7200 rpm. can't tell what all this means to me. Can you help?

Solution
The "su" processors are low voltage, which when it comes down to it means that they do not offer as much performance as a "full fledged" c2d. In regard to the hard drives, the 5400rpm models spin up at 5400rpm and the 7200'ers obviously spin up to that speed. You'll see a bit more performance form a 7200rpm drive in regard to booting up and loading programs (few seconds perhaps). If you want performance, then go with a heavier laptop. It's hard to find thin ones that offer performance.
The "su" processors are low voltage, which when it comes down to it means that they do not offer as much performance as a "full fledged" c2d. In regard to the hard drives, the 5400rpm models spin up at 5400rpm and the 7200'ers obviously spin up to that speed. You'll see a bit more performance form a 7200rpm drive in regard to booting up and loading programs (few seconds perhaps). If you want performance, then go with a heavier laptop. It's hard to find thin ones that offer performance.

Solution

margaret_21

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have read the other comments on cpu's. I just don't see too many comparable laptops: this one is about 1" thick *but* it has the lowest ghz at 1.4. I multitask and process lots of data. typically have 10 or more windows open...

You should know that "RAM" doesn't refer to the size of the hard drive, it refers to the size of memory. To draw an analogy - hard drives are like filing cabinets - a big filing cabinet can store more files than a small one. But when you're doing your taxes, you have to take those files out of the filing cabinet and put them onto a desk or table to work with them. RAM is like the desk or table - the more RAM you have, the more stuff you can actually use at the same time.

On a modern machine you should look for at least 2GB of RAM, and 4GB or more with a 64-bit version of Windows would be better.

You should also be aware that a faster hard drive (7200rpm vs. 5400rpm) or a faster CPU will mean shorter battery life.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I love the above analogy.

Anyway, I would also like to add that the average user get's diminishing benefits from more ram past 2GB. Past 4GB you probably won't notice also any difference unless doing heavy work. 4GB is probably the sweet spot. Also, the more memory you pack, the more power you use as memory does eat a decent amount of power.

There both important. Faster cpu the better, larger ram the better (up to a certain point),and faster the HDD the better. What you should really be asking your self is, What am i needing it for and your budget.

If your looking into gaming or doing CAD then you'll want a powerful laptop, if your just surfing the web then you wont need much power.