Asus Sabertooth 55i Only sees 4gb of 8gb installed

braitsch1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Posted:3/15/2010 1:05:00 AM # 1

I built a new system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with the Asus Sabertooth 55i m/b, Intel i7 860, XFX HD 5770, Soundblaster X-Fi Titatium Fatal1ty Pro Series, and 2 Sets of Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory. The bios is only picking up 4gbs and Windows lists the memory as: Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB (3.99 GB usable). What is causing this issue? Do I have the wrong memory type? According to both Asus and Crucial, this memory is supported. Additionally, I have left everything at default in both BIOS and O/S. However, I did update the BIOS to rev 1308 and installed all Windows patches. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1. If you're *sure* you're running the 64 bit version of the OS, from here I see two possibilities. The first is your motherboard may have a limitation - either by design or by BIOS setting. Check your motherboard's support page to verify your motherboard actually supports 4GB of ram or more. Then check your BIOS for a feature called Memory Remapping. If Memory remapping options appear in the BIOS at all, make sure it is turned on.

2. Click the Start orb, and type in msconfig. Right click the msconfig app to run it as Administrator. That brings up the configuration utility. Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button. In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.