Sign in with
Your question

Can you Upgrade the 2008 Imac Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2009 7:36:25 PM

Hi I purchased a 2008 24 inch iMac with a 3.06 intel processor and the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS Graphics Card. Well Basically the graphics card has burned out and I am out of warranty and need to replace it. Took it to apple and they said they would replace the same card for about $500, eww... So then I thought if I have to replace I might as well upgrade. The Cards the newer imacs offer now are the Nvidia GT 120 or the Radeon 4850 HD and I was wondering if it was possible to put either of those into my 2008 Imac.
April 1, 2011 11:30:34 PM

Jakeus2k7 said:
Hi I purchased a 2008 24 inch iMac with a 3.06 intel processor and the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS Graphics Card. Well Basically the graphics card has burned out and I am out of warranty and need to replace it. Took it to apple and they said they would replace the same card for about $500, eww... So then I thought if I have to replace I might as well upgrade. The Cards the newer imacs offer now are the Nvidia GT 120 or the Radeon 4850 HD and I was wondering if it was possible to put either of those into my 2008 Imac.

hi, I have the same imac and my graphics card just burned out. I was wondering the same thing about upgrading vs replacing.
did you figure this out?
if so which card did you upgrade too and how well does it work with the new card installed?

thank you
Josh
!