Ssd dead after stand by

cam_03

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
hey guys, i have recently bought a ocz vertex2 90gb ssd, all was great for a fe wmonths, good speeds ect, and a fresh copy of win7 installed. this morning the computer went to standby (which i dont usually use must have been an auto setting) when it booted back up after 5 sec it froze, after restart the computer wont detect my ssd, my other 2 hdd (non ssd) work fine but cant get into windows, it pauses on the sata 3 port which is where its connected but comes up nill,

any help???

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It sounds like your SSD has failed. If you don't normally run standby then it is likely your PC just shut down when the OS no longer had access to the SSD. Try switching the drive to another SATA port to make sure that it is not SATA 3 acting up. If the drive can be detected make sure that the firmware is up to date. Vertex 2 required these updates unfortunately. If it cant be detected on any port it is likely the SSD controller has failed. You may need to RMA the drive.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
They certainly had a problem with their firmware on release. I am running a Vertex 2 in a Laptop and it has had no problem with standby or hibernation since I updated the firmware. It caused a lot of problems pre update when I was running it in my desktop however.

It is the fact that the BIOS lingers when it attempts to communicate with the SSD that leads me to wonder if the controller on the SSD is acting up.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
need to secure erase the drive, flash the latest firmware, and reinstall fresh before the drive panic locks completely and results in an RMA to replace it.

Should also avoid S3 sleeps as they cut power to the drive whereas S1 will stay powered on. Or avoid sleeps altogether for that matter until newer firmware is released.