compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Both of these drives are based on the latest generation of Sandforce controllers. The Vertex 3 has been out for a while now, so you might consider it the "established" version. The Corsair is newer, and has higher quoted stats.

I believe there have been head-to-head tests of these two drives, including one on this very site. I suggest you look to one of the head-to-head tests to see detailed benchmarks of the differences, but they are not profound.

Lutfij

Titan
the OCZ's were the first to be recalled cos of controller failure while the corsair's were recalled a while back.

agreeing with compulsivebuilder, the OCZ is established and have fewer problems to go with since they have put out revised, working versions of the sandforce controller SSD's.

BTW, did you know that OCZ shut off its peripherals and ram division to focus on SSD manufacturing :)

Lutfij

Titan

jordie240991

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
For some reason i can't edit my OP so i will ask this question as a reply post.

What SSD would you reccomend to use as a first time buy that is fast, reliable at least 120gb and good value? (£200 limit)

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I can't see the difference. Oh, there may be a theoretical difference. I like Tom's Guide for price point vs performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssd-caching,2966.html

At $400 the recommend is actually an agility 2, 240gb. And, imho, I agree with the general idea that one should look at 240gb of 25nm nand if you can afford it (ie agility 2) after that you can spend more on 240gb of sandforce 2000 in the vert3 or whichever but under 240gb I think the nand bottleneck does not warrant the better controller. Does that make sense to anybody but me?

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

It does if one does not take into account that the newer SF controller has a larger recycling engine and better "on the fly" trim recovery. The throttling algorithms have been tweaked according to the better recovery as well. Unless price was the main consideration?.. I would never revisit the first gen SF controller from ANY vendor. Too many limitations and dead end roads to be hit quicker in the future.

jordie240991

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for these 2 reccomendations =P I am a complete noob to most computer hardware so this has helped me quite a bit.