AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadjnelson

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello, I am new to overclocking and need some help. I have a decent system, not the best, but it runs most games around mid-high range. I am looking to OC my AMD FX-4100 to anything stable really...

System Specs:

Cpuz : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2170458
Core Temp (Using the Hyper 212 Evo): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/137/coretempscrr.png/

I am not a complete "n00b" when it comes to overclocking, but I would like to know how to OC to it's greatest potential (without ruining anything).

I am using all stock BIOS settings on my motherboard.

Edit: So far I've been receiving a lot of help from the people on this Forum! Thanks! *sarcasm*

Solution
If your just using the stock cooler you can get your Fx4100 to 4.4Ghz easily.

Enter bios, change the CPU multiplyer to 22x and up the voltage core by 0.1v - leave everything else.
Dissable Turbo and Max core settings, also dissable Cool N Quiet technology

You should also up the NB hypertransport to 2200Mhz since all other FX chips run at 2200Mhz i never understood why AMD set the FX4100 to 2000Mhz when it can easily handly the overclock.

:bounce:

** if you suffer any instability just re enter bios and drop the multiplyer to 20 or 21 (4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz respectively, it should operate stable at those speeds)

Mangotango81

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
If your just using the stock cooler you can get your Fx4100 to 4.4Ghz easily.

Enter bios, change the CPU multiplyer to 22x and up the voltage core by 0.1v - leave everything else.
Dissable Turbo and Max core settings, also dissable Cool N Quiet technology

You should also up the NB hypertransport to 2200Mhz since all other FX chips run at 2200Mhz i never understood why AMD set the FX4100 to 2000Mhz when it can easily handly the overclock.

:bounce:

** if you suffer any instability just re enter bios and drop the multiplyer to 20 or 21 (4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz respectively, it should operate stable at those speeds)

Solution

tadjnelson

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
What is really confusing me is this, in C-puz, after I change the setting the Multiplier/Core Speed/Voltage do not change. While running Prime95 to test it all of those options Decreased, resulting in a lower CoreSpeed. This is really confusing me why I can't seem to overclock my system. The options I changed in the bios weren't being shown in C-Puz. I disabled all settings that were needed (Turbo, Cool N Quiet, etc.) and being that I have an aftermarket cooler I would be fine nevertheless, but I received no change in CoreSpeed.

Edit: I unlocked my cpu in the BIOS and still no changes.

Edit: While running Prime95 my CoreSpeed continues to fluctuate while not going over 18.5 Multiplier/3.7GHz

Jwizzle

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
@ Mangotango81,

I am an ansolute noob to OC but I am also using AMD's FX-4100 and I have just bought antec's 620 liquid cooler. I want to know exactly how to OC using bios settings and the max for my system if possible?

My system specs as follows:

MB: Gigabyte 990fxa-d3
CPU: AMD fx-4100
RAM: 16GB DDRIII 1333 G.Skill
GRAPHICS: Twin Gigabyte Factory Overclocked GTX 550 Ti's in SLI mode.

Any Help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

omen_x

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

You haven,t disabled turbo core, while this is activated the CPU won´t go over the default 18.5 multiplier speed. Check it again, I had the same problem :) Cheers

omen_x

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

sarcasm does not help, remember this is a new chip, few people have "tinkered" with it!

Coldfusionstorm

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I too have a 4100, However i have not been able to overclock it from UEFI.(bios).

My system just cut's power, and this is with all settings related to overclocking.
(ram, HT, Multiplier).

:S.

i will try disabling turbo core some time, for now il just wait, its not like im needing exstra FPS for the moment. :p

omen_x

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

the cut you refer to is aplied by default, these are power saving features. If you like you can up the max multiplier and leave on the power saving features. só instead of having a max speed of 3600 Mhz and a minimum of 1400Mhz, you get 4500 Mhz and about 2200Mhz minimum (at least in my case)

Status
Not open for further replies.