Sign in with
Your question

Help on my i5 build[buying on monday]

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2009 3:06:38 AM

I pretty much asked for advice to my build last June, it ended up that I waited for the new graphic cards series and the i5 to come out this month, guess it was wise to be patient after all!

I will most likely buy my parts this monday, so I'd like to have your opinion on what I am about to purchase.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Monday BUDGET RANGE: Roughly around a 900$ sub-total, no more than 1000.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Mainly Photoshop Editing, C++ Programming, Gaming, Multitasking

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
I already bought the case(Cooler Master CM 690) and I luckily got a hard drive for free(Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB). I will continue using my current Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor and OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
I am getting my parts from NCIX My dad accepted to get my parts through ground shipping. Are there any other good computer store in Montreal I could check out?
PARTS PREFERENCES: None particuraly

OVERCLOCKING:
Not yet, but later
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not at the moment.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Not really.

---------------------------------------------

Motherboard: S1156 ASUS P7P55D P55 PCIE
175.00$

Processor: INTEL CORE I5 750 2.66G/8M/S1156
249.99$

Memory: OCZ 1600MHZ DDR3 4GB PLATINUM XTC KIT
139.00$

Graphics: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD4870 VAPOR-X 1024M BOX
205.00$

PSU: 650W POWER ATX CORSAIR TX
135.00$

DVD:DVD+/-RW PIONEER 117D DL 20/20 OEM BLACK
39.00$

Total:~945 Sub-total(The prices are from Microbytes, I'll need the one from NCIX hopefully.)

Are there any reccommendation for a good CPU heatsink fan for the socket 1156?
And any possibilities to make this build a bit more powerful for much less money?
Thanks for all your help!

More about : build buying monday

September 27, 2009 4:52:29 AM

Looks pretty good except for the ram. The i5/i7 systems are limited to ram that runs at 1.65v MAX. The OCZ you have there is 1.9. Just find one that has 1.65 or less and you're all set.

So far, the OEMs haven't had 1156 HSF out to market. Not sure what is taking so long to see them on the shelves. If you can find one, might be your only choice. Otherwise, use the stock fan for now since you're not planning to OC to start with and get a fan after the reviews are out and a good choice is available.
m
l
September 27, 2009 5:01:24 AM

your dad needs to learn to love online retailers .
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2009 5:05:38 AM

Outlander_04 said:
incredibly expensive 4870 . Unless its gold plated its not worth it , since you can buy a 4890 for less .

And even then Id change the build to a less expensive motherboard and include one of the new 5850's in a build .

The OP is canadian. While $205 CAD is expensive, he's limited to brick and mortar stores. The egg in canada has the 4870 1gb for for less, but still more than the states.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...
m
l
September 27, 2009 5:35:45 AM

Outlander_04 said:
your dad needs to learn to love online retailers .

A big +1 for that.

And to the OP...you should show your ol man how much your getting hosed by having to buy in Montreal. Make a list from Newegg or NCIX, then show him the identical parts from Microrippoff.
m
l
September 27, 2009 2:22:25 PM

Why_Me said:
A big +1 for that.

And to the OP...you should show your ol man how much your getting hosed by having to buy in Montreal. Make a list from Newegg or NCIX, then show him the identical parts from Microrippoff.

My ol man is the type that hates internet deals. But yeah, I just argued with my dad when I saw your post, he accepted that I buy my parts from NCIX. Thanks for your comments, you all!

Is there any possibilities to include better components at the same price limit? Most help appreciated again!
m
l
!