Sign in with
Your question

How do i revive my external hard disk?

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2011 10:38:03 PM

mistakely remove my wd external hard disk without ejecting and now it tells me i need to reformat before i access it.....what do i do because i have all my documents on the drive
a b G Storage
July 30, 2011 11:52:38 PM

oluomo2010 said:
mistakely remove my wd external hard disk without ejecting and now it tells me i need to reformat before i access it.....what do i do because i have all my documents on the drive

I would contact WD.
m
l
July 31, 2011 12:04:20 AM

oluomo2010 said:

Try right clicking the drive and go to Properties>Tools. Run "error checking and scan for errors". It'll try to recover any corrupted files and replace them with new ones. This should not destroy your data.

If that doesn't work though, you have to format the drive. This will make you lose all of your files. Were you transferring anything at the time? Or had you just finished doing so?
m
l
July 31, 2011 1:58:15 AM

Before you format the drive you may also try some data resque software. There are several.
Try checkdisk on your drive first and say what happens.
I am afraid if you contact WD before checking your disk /they also have a tool for analizing their drives for hardware deffects, and only hardware deffects are concerning them/ they will probably not pay you any attention.
m
l
Related resources
!