Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC won't Start... here are results from breadboard... is it the MoBo?

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2009 4:13:42 AM

Ok I have posted a topic earlier saying my computer would attempt to turn on but only for a few seconds making the fans spin. So I did the steps with the same problem. I am pretty sure it is the mobo that is the problem too after breadboarding.
I have an asrock p55 pro mobo currently.

I plugged in both connections to the mobo (bought another psu with higher wattage 550w and 750w tested) and same results for both wattages. I just had the mobo, heatsink, and cpu on and all it would do is spin a little and then stop and they try again. Correct me if I am wrong but this is sounding like the motherboard is dead. The lights on the motherboard all come on though and it tries to power on the stuff just can't seem to make it. I do have a the crappy heatsink from intel however and the clamps are pretty much ruined. the fan still spins though on it so I don't think its that that is causing the problem. Can anyone confirm to me that I need to send back the mobo?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2009 5:54:30 AM

You need to be clearer.

I think you are saying because your fans and PSU restart over and over that means it's the motherboard that is faulty. All that means is that the board is detecting something wrong and restarting in an effort to fix it. It's a feature of modern overclocking boards, not a symptom.

Here, this was written to help you out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-tro...
m
l

Best solution

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2009 3:34:21 PM

Try to boot with only the CPU and HSF installed. If you do not hear a series of long beeps, there is something wrong with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Related resources
September 27, 2009 3:49:40 PM

jsc said:
Try to boot with only the CPU and HSF installed. If you do not hear a series of long beeps, there is something wrong with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

I did this... when I boot up with just the cpu and hsf I get one click and then it restarts. That is all I am getting.... I tried putting ram in after this in all the different slots and still nothing. I have replaced the psu with a new one... no different response... I haven't even used the i5 processor yet and everything looks fine on it... I am fairly certain its the mobo.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2009 1:43:12 PM

I'm intrigued with your comment that the heatsink clamps are just about ruined. Can you tell whether they are still doing the job or holding the heatsink TIGHTLY to the CPU? If not, a shut-down within about 5 seconds might easily be a result of a rapid temperature rise in the poorly-cooled CPU. I am assuming you have the requisite thin (not too much) thermal paste in there, too.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2009 5:31:14 PM

toddjschock said:
I did this... when I boot up with just the cpu and hsf I get one click and then it restarts.

At this point, if you do not get a series of long beeps, you are, unfortunately, wasting your time trying to go farther.
In order of probability, your PSU, motherboard, or CPU (very unlikely) is bad.

What brands of power supplies?
m
l
September 29, 2009 3:25:45 PM

Well I have just decided to get a new mothboard sent in and see if that is the problem... mind you I have tried two seperate brand new psu's and no different results. I have decided it had to be the motherboard being faulty due to static electricity. I had gotten my pc to boot once already so I doubt its the cpu. I will let you all know if it starts to work.. my mobo will be here shortly.
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:53:46 PM

Problem has been solved.... pc is still not working but its starting up... psu was fine so was cpu it was ultimately the mobo.... I fear this one is faulty as welll since it started on fire randomly lmao.... the great luck I have with my pc equipment.
m
l
!