Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help picking the correct SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2011 1:28:35 AM

Hello,

I am having trouble choosing which SSD to go with, and would like some help deciding on a reliable fast brand.

I have an Asus Z68 Pro mobo so I am looking fot Sata 3, 6gb.

I read that OCZ was the fastest, although I also read that they are having many issues with their vertex 3 drives and the Asus p67/z68 chipset.

I liked Crucial C300, although I dont know much about them or how long they been out and their performance compared to other newer models.

I know Intel are more expensive than others... is there a reason for it?

etc, etc... basically, does anyone know which ones are the most reliable right now? Reliability is my #1 concern before speed right now after reading all the horror stories currently going on with some in regards to the z68 mobo chipset.

I am looking for something between 120 - 130 GB. Thanks.

More about : picking correct ssd

July 31, 2011 1:51:47 AM

I've decided on either Crucial or Intel based on the reviews. Is Intel worth the extra $50 it usualy costs? I am comparing C300 vs 520
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
July 31, 2011 2:22:24 AM

The Crucial C300 is one of the older SATA III 6Gb/s solid state drives that has held up quite well. The Crucial M4 is supposed to be the new and improved version of the C300.

The Intel 510 was a disappointment for gamers and enthusiasts who relied on synthetic benchmarks. The 510 with a Marvell controller typically places behind ssd's with the new SandForce 2XXX series controllers. However, in terms of real world performance the 510 can hold it's own and has been problem free. It is more popular with businesses than gamers and enthusiasts. Intel has a reputation for reliability and commands a premium price.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2011 2:56:51 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
The Crucial C300 is one of the older SATA III 6Gb/s solid state drives that has held up quite well. The Crucial M4 is supposed to be the new and improved version of the C300.

The Intel 510 was a disappointment for gamers and enthusiasts who relied on synthetic benchmarks. The 510 with a Marvell controller typically places behind ssd's with the new SandForce 2XXX series controllers. However, in terms of real world performance the 510 can hold it's own and has been problem free. It is more popular with businesses than gamers and enthusiasts. Intel has a reputation for reliability and commands a premium price.

Thank you very much. That was very informative and helpful. So based on that, is the Crucial M4 just as good, or better than the C300 ? Thanks.
m
l

Best solution

a c 303 G Storage
July 31, 2011 7:03:20 AM

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

The Crucial section has links to technical reviews for the C300 and the M4.

You also ought to read a brand new ssd article Tom's Hardware published yesterday:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-fai...

The article is about ssd reliability but it also contains other useful information. For example:

"SSDs generally fall within a narrow performance spectrum. If you were to plot the speed of hard drives against solid-state drives, you would find that a low-end SSD performs about 85% faster than a hard drive. A high-end SSD only commands an 88% speed advantage."

I found similar information last November indicating there was a very tight performance cluster among most ssd's. At first Information surfaced in little bits and peices so it was difficult for gamers and enthusiasts to realise what happened. The synthetic benchmarks grossly exaggerate the 3% performance difference. All of a sudden the Intel 510 was looking good for anyone who was interested in real world performance rather than synthetic benchmarks. Later I learned how companies manipulated the synthetic benchmarks to make their ssd's appear more desireable.
July 31, 2011 8:03:34 PM

I've read somewhere that Intel drives are RMA'd less than any other brand and tend to be pretty reliable.

An important thing to remember is that the performance increase you see when upgrading to almost and consumer SSD from a HDD is orders of magnitude greater than the difference you will see between slower/faster SSDs. There was a TH article a few months ago highlighting this fact.

The other thing I think people get hung up on is some drives like Intel's X25-M/V series have significantly lower write data-rates. Most users won't even notice this. SSD's main benefits are derived from the fact that you will load applications and boot much faster with one compared to without. Pagefiles on Hard drives don't matter much if you have enough RAM to execute all your programs.

I will always focus on low price / reliability when purchasing a new SSD. Focus on drives that have been in use for 1+ years and tend to get decent reviews.
m
l
August 7, 2011 5:44:20 AM

Best answer selected by askeptic.
m
l
!