Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 Crash

Antaka

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I'm having a serius problem with my card. When trying to play or run any 3d app with mid to high requierments, my PC restarts itself.
I read the GPU temp with GPU-Z, and nothing goes beyond 60°C (with fan manually set to 70% with CCC)when it restarts.
I also tested CPU with Core2MaxPerf and prime95 for a long while and it run ok. But when I try to play MassEffect, Crysis, Prototype, or benchmark with 3DMark, the problem appears.
I didn't happend while playing some old games like Half-Life.
Tried with video drivers from 8.9 to 9.9, and with every motherboard BIOS version in ASUS website (the problem appeard a few weeks ago and I have been running the system for about a year now, with some unnecesary BIOS updates in the middle...)
I'm not overclocking now, never did it with this video card.

My system is:
PSU: Powercooler PS-850HE 850 WATTS
Motherboard: Asus P5E Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400
RAM: 2x1Gb OCZ Reaper 1066
GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 512Mb

Solution
Random reboots under heavy system load (GPU + CPU working hard) generally point to a Power Supply issue. Your PSU might be degraded, or faulty. The best first test would be to try another PSU.

Zerex

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
What gives,
I have had the same build for 2 yrs and no problems at all.
I was running dual 1650pros in crossfire. The problem occured, only crashed while gaming.I installed a new operating system, new hard drive,
and new visiontek 4870. Same results,comp runs great until gaming. I have uninstalled and installed new drivers for everything. Updated everything tried the low clock settings using riva, nothing works.
Please Help me.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Random reboots under heavy system load (GPU + CPU working hard) generally point to a Power Supply issue. Your PSU might be degraded, or faulty. The best first test would be to try another PSU.

Solution