Sign in with
Your question

Pc won't Start. Lights/Fans keep rebooting every 2 seconds.

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2009 6:16:46 AM

Ok... my computer will not start up and when I try everything starts up for like 1 second (led lights, cpu hs fan, Graphics card fan ect..) and then turns off...restarts ... turns off repeatedly never actually starting up. I have not gotten it even to the bios screen yet and I have gone through all the steps given in a thread before to try to help diagnose the problem with no success.

I got frustrated and decided to try to breadboard the mother board and listen for beeps like a 2nd person informed me to do and I guess I am lost. When I plug in the power to the board (both 8 pin and 24 pin connectors) and turn it on with nothing but the heatsink and cpu installed (no ram) it does the exact same thing as described above... on off... on off... on off... everything on the board is lit and the cpu heatsink fans start to spin but it never stays on. The only beep I get is a quick jab like sound before it shutsdown. No long beep as described indicating missing memory. More of like a short click from the speaker is the best way to describe it. (I have also bought another psu 700w and tried that and got the same results)

Here is my current build all together:

ASRock P55 Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner
SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Again I have tried taking a part and re hooking everything back up... made sure all the connections were correct... and again nothing has changed. Any suggestions? I was thinking it was probably the motherboard... more likely to believe it is that than the processor....but who knows.

Step three: History
When was the last time the computer worked right?
Was there something that happened right before things got bad?
Did you install some hardware?
Did you install some software
?

Step four: The Full Story:
Tell us exactly what is happening.
This might include the sequence of sounds or lights when you press the power button. Careful observation on your part might well make the difference when old hands are figuring your problem out.
Write down error messages as they happen then include those. If the problem is a lock up, say what kind of lock up.
Is it just the program that locks?
Does the operating system lock up?

Step five: The specs
List each one of the parts in your computer. This must be a full list. If some parts are from an older build, this might be important.
CPU
Motherboard (model number)
RAM (Model number, speed, timings, voltage)
CPU cooler (stock or not, model if applicable)
Video Card (model number)
Power Supply (model number, or company and wattage at least)
Hard drive(s)
Operating System
Case (for cooling issues)
ANY other parts. If you have an ipod plugged in, we want to know.

Step six:
List all the steps you have taken to resolve this yourself. Number them.
September 27, 2009 7:16:03 AM

It sounds very like the HSF fan is not plugged into the CPU fan header, plugged in incorrectly (three pin fan plug on wrong set of pins of a four pin CPU fan header), or is not being recognized by the MB...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2009 3:00:21 PM

Quote:
When I plug in the power to the board (both 8 pin and 24 pin connectors) and turn it on with nothing but the heatsink and cpu installed (no ram) it does the exact same thing as described above... on off... on off... on off...

?!?!? You NEED to have the RAM installed!

Also, PCIe 6 pin installed? Also, cleared CMOS?
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2009 3:22:33 PM

croc said:
It sounds very like the HSF fan is not plugged into the CPU fan header, plugged in incorrectly (three pin fan plug on wrong set of pins of a four pin CPU fan header), or is not being recognized by the MB...

Wouldn't it start for more then 1 second without the hsf attached though? I tried to do that as well with no better response.
m
l
September 27, 2009 3:23:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
When I plug in the power to the board (both 8 pin and 24 pin connectors) and turn it on with nothing but the heatsink and cpu installed (no ram) it does the exact same thing as described above... on off... on off... on off...

?!?!? You NEED to have the RAM installed!

Also, PCIe 6 pin installed? Also, cleared CMOS?

I had a 6 pin graphics card hooked up and intalled and ram in every different slot nothing matters.. have tried it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2009 4:25:54 PM

^Clear CMOS?
m
l
September 27, 2009 4:48:33 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Clear CMOS?

Yep
m
l
September 27, 2009 8:00:44 PM

I am experiencing the exact same behavior.

I am using the following specs;

1 - GIGABYTE P55M-UD2 Board
2 - i5 750 CPU
3 - OCZ - 700w PSU

Replaced the board and PSU and the same symptoms occurred.

I get the exact same symptoms when I breadboard those components.... I think the CPU may
be bad.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2009 11:21:10 PM

1. Check to make sure you have no shorts. And that there are no fallen off resistors,etc.

2. Used the stand offs?

m
l
September 28, 2009 6:14:04 AM

Shadow703793 said:
1. Check to make sure you have no shorts. And that there are no fallen off resistors,etc.

2. Used the stand offs?

how do I check for shorts? and yah I used the standoffs.
m
l
September 28, 2009 6:42:58 AM

toddjschock said:
how do I check for shorts? and yah I used the standoffs.

I guess short circuits too. I have had a bit same kind of problems and I found (believe it or not) corrosion on the backside of my year 2006 Asus motherboard. After removing it the board worked flawlessly.

Simply remove your board, put it under light and look for anything that could cause a short circuit. Make sure the board is clean from corrosion and grease(for cleaning it is best to use isopropyl alcohol). Be sure the screw holders on the chassis fixes with the screw holes on the board etc..
m
l
September 28, 2009 8:04:43 AM

Sounds suspicious. There are 2 likely culprits behind this kind of problems:

1. CPU (or CPU fan) <--- most likely. Faulty, Dead, overheated or bent pins. DO NOT REMOVE THE CPU without having extra thermal paste (you will need to remove the old thermal compound and add new)....
2. Power Supply <-- overheated, dead, or at least damn near... Doubt it however since it usually only happens after YEARS.
3. Motherboard faulty.

As for short circuits, I suppose that could be one however it must of been a rare short circuit since most that we see where I work at will not boot at all. No lights, no display, nothing the only light is the light for "power supply connected.
m
l
September 28, 2009 8:36:25 AM

Disconnect the power and reset buttons from the case that go to the board. Use the power button on the board.
m
l
September 28, 2009 8:51:19 AM

I actually do not have it hooked up to the case ... just all the parts hooked up to the mother board.
m
l
!